Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 31-10-2011, 09:00   #1

Sailor Looking for Experience

Hello Everyone,
I am looking to gain sailing experience and looking for a kind sailor to take me abord for a trip to "show me the ropes" so to speak. I am looking to purchase my first sailboat but would love to travel with someone who is willing to give me more knowledge of offshore sailing.

A little about myself: I am 27 yrso and recently seperated from the US Navy (where I acquired my love of sailing). I have some experience in small-boat sailing but nothing larger than a one man boat. I am familiar with the "classic" sailing terminology and basic sailing concepts. I also have medical training (as a Navy corpsman) which could come in handy if something were to happen. I am good with my hands and and have alot of knowledge on maintenece and repairs, both mechanical and carpentry.

I would just like to sail with someone on a long trip to learn everything I can about large boat sailing. I am willing to pay my way aboard for provisions and expenses, and have a great work ethic and willingness to learn.

If you would like to take a novice under your wing please send me a message.

Thank you and look forward to hearing from you.
Old 31-10-2011, 09:26   #2

Boat: Blackwatch 19 gaff rig cat
Re: Sailor looking for experience

I don't know where you live, but I would suggest moving to somewhere like Sausalito, California or the like. Hang or work at the boat yards and or the yacht clubs. You will learn a lot and meet some great serious sailors....Good luck to you....Do not give up... Capt.Fred a 77 year old sailor.
Old 31-10-2011, 09:39   #3
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41
Re: Sailor Looking for Experience

there are some share the sail kinds of sailors around with their own boats--like me--and they may be willing to absorb you into the crew list--- where ar you and how do you travel?
Old 21-11-2011, 00:12   #4

Re: Sailor Looking for Experience

Hi my husband is arriving in the u.s.a washington baltimore on 24 th November 2011, we have lived and sailed in australia on yachts he is very thorough and knowlegable but has not sailed back from these waters before. He was wanting to do it on his own but my nagging on him having crew is wearing him down. He would be leaving beginning of feb sailing the atlantic to perth australia, are u interested? Steel piolhouse 52 ft 2004 all equiped up safe bluewater cruise . MY email jennybriggs*at*hotmail*dot*com or skpe jenny briggs hoping to hear from you soon he is very easy going 55 years quite and fit