Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-10-2007, 00:26   #1

Boat: excaliber 30ft sloop Happy Adventure
Send a message via MSN to happy adventure
Thumbs up Seeking crew for 30ft steel sloop HAPPY ADVENTURE

Embarking from Port Darlington,on lake ontario next,spring,early summer.Planning eastbound down the St Lawrence river.Coastal sailing mostly.visit,ports in Quebec,New Brunswick,PEI,NovaScotia,NFLD.Then south down the eastern seabord,to Florida and beyond.Well found,seaworthy steel vessel.30ft steel sloop.EPIRB,Liferaft,3gps.Hydrovane wind autopilot.Raymarine electric autopilot.Chartplotter.All paper charts.New sails.6ft headroom.Room for 2crew.12 hp Yanmar diesel.Laid back humorous,and safe skipper.As short a trip,or as long as you want.Share the sail,and expenses.Great adventure expected.Contact me here,or at williamjmax@hotmail.com. cheers BILL
Old 07-10-2007, 19:19   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Now boatless :-(
Bill - That sounds like a great adventure. I am jealous of your yet to be found crew.

Good Luck!
Old 07-10-2007, 20:44   #3

Hey Dan!..Super to here from you,on the other side of the world! I am presently in my big Peterbilt, in tacoma,Washington,3000 miles of open road ahead of me.Load of Idaho Potatoes to pick up tomorrow.Then eastbound to Toronto.and back to my babe that is my vessel now.Kids have grown n gone,wifes history.Setting out to go around,witha motely crew...Changi Yacht Club?..Sounds like a destination that i would like to visit.Doing the coconut milk run after panama.Then Indonesia..and beyond. Dont think i'll be as fast as you.HaHa! Seeking Nirvana.Just another cruiser with the big dream..gonna do it,only live once..Cheers BILL
Old 08-10-2007, 17:18   #4

Hey Bill, Good luck with your trip. Im sure you will find some people willing to do the trip. The adventure is out there, the only problem is once youve had one, it gets addicting! If you get to NZ come say hi in Auckland. If you dont get crew dont be afraid to singlehand her initially. Your steel, so the worst that happens is you bruise the dock a bit till you get the hang of it, then off you go. When you reach the blue water stick on a cheap Radar with alarm for 700 USD and you are all set for the blue water! If we can do it, so can anyone.
Old 09-10-2007, 19:36   #5

Hi brian and clare!Just found this site,and think its very cool to be in touch with people on the other side of the world! I have sailed a lot on the great lakes in canada.Sweetwater oceans.Lake ontario is the smallest one,(that my boat on now)and its 50miles across,and 300 long! Bruising docks is my specialty! The north channel of lake Huron,Georgian Bay is drop dead beautifull! All granite,white pines,superb anchorages,islands.Fresh water so clear and clean you can see every stone 40ft down.Take a cup and have a drink! Planning the coconut milk run from Panama when i get there,and will probably spend the typhoon season in kiwi.Will definitly say Hi! Am thinking of the CARD Collision Avoidance Radar Detector. $550 us Google it,your opinion valued.My e-mail williamjmax@hotmail.com will send picts Cheers BILL
Old 11-10-2007, 07:08   #6

Send a message via Skype™ to CharlesFCook
Quote:
Originally Posted by happy adventure View Post
Am thinking of the CARD Collision Avoidance Radar Detector. $550 us Google it,your opinion valued.My e-mail williamjmax@hotmail.com will send picts Cheers BILL
How about AIS instead of CARD.

Automatic Identification System Overview - USCG Navigation Center

Automatic Identification System (AIS)
Old 11-10-2007, 12:49   #7

Why not just a radar unit with a proximity alarm? That should ping anyone nearby even if their radar is not turned on. (which is not guaranteed in a blue water situation). Only problem is power draw. Even on standby mode (which has the radar asleep for a set period of time, like say 10 minutes, then turns it on, does a couple of sweeps and goes back to sleep) the power draw is enough that you have to run the engine unless you have some good solar cells or wind gen. Anyone know the power draw of the CARD?

Interesting note, I met a guy the other day who told me about sailing somewhere in the pacific. They had radar proximity alarm on and he woke to engines sound. No alarm, jumped up and there was an aircraft carrier next to them. Apparently they can mask their radar image now somehow. Never heard of such a thing, but he said, that there was nothing showing on the radar. Didn't seem like a bogus story, but how the heck do you mask an entire carrier?
Old 11-10-2007, 12:54   #8

Anyone know what the draw is on those AIS things? Seem pretty cool, esp. if you are primarily in US waters. Seems like most of the big boys would have them now if I am reading correctly? Any commercial sailors know anyting about them? Innnteresting.
Old 11-10-2007, 13:19   #9

Send a message via Skype™ to CharlesFCook
Quote:
Originally Posted by brian and clare View Post
Any commercial sailors know anyting about them?
I don't know what the draw is for a AIS system. I think all commercial ships over 65' are required to have one in US and St. Lawrence Seaway waters. What I like is you know about the BIG ASS SHIP when it is 20 miles away and how close it looks like it will come. It gives you lots of options.

"I think" (I have never used one) the problem with CARD would be not knowing how big, how fast, or how close the radar producer xmiter is.
Old 12-10-2007, 04:20   #10
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
ProTec “L-3" AIS Power Requirements:
Nominal: 24 Vdc - 10 amp Supply
Receive: 0.6 Amps
Transmit: 6.0 Amps
http://www.l-3ar.com/PDF_Files/MAR002.pdf

The Raymarine AIS250 (listen only) requires <250mA (12/24VDC)
Raymarine Marine Electronics - AIS

Old 12-10-2007, 22:34   #11

Go to SURVIVAL SAFETY ENGINEERING Sounds pretty good to me. give HEADS UP to all,and gives you a bearing. If the bearing changes,you can plot a course,if the bearing changes,You are not on acollision course.If it stays the same and gets srronger,you are,so get out of the way!You have been awakened at this point anyhow.Your eyes will tell you...unless in fog etc...Very Cheap and very little power draw at $550us Make me sleep better i think BILL