Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-03-2013, 19:05   #1

Boat: 12m Cruising Power Catamaran
Skipper or crew wanted

Hi, We (husband and wife) have just purchased a new 12m cruising catamaran in Pattaya, Thailand and are planning on taking it around to Phuket or Langkawi. Plan on leaving early to mid April. We are new to SE Asia waters and looking for someone with experience in this area who would like to join us.
Old 02-04-2013, 03:46   #2
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Herreshoff Caribbean 50
Re: Skipper or crew wanted

Its a good trip but not the best time of year to do it. Friend of mine just bought a cat back from HK to Phuket in 10 days...
Old 02-04-2013, 09:47   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mzungu View Post
Hi, We (husband and wife) have just purchased a new 12m cruising catamaran in Pattaya, Thailand and are planning on taking it around to Phuket or Langkawi. Plan on leaving early to mid April. We are new to SE Asia waters and looking for someone with experience in this area who would like to join us.
Hi I'm very interested in your proposed voyage round Malaysian waters. When i retired in October 2012 I took a series of RYA courses based on Lankawi. As a result I have good recent knowledge of coast and harbours from Port Klang (near KL) to Phuket, including Lumut/Pankor, Penang, Kuah, Rebak, Hole-in-the-wall, a number of Thai islands, and particularly Royal Phuket Marina and other spots in Ao Phang Na gulf including Krabi and the difficult navigation up to Sea Gypsies Village. For more info see Sea Track | Finding self in the Indian Ocean - a blog of these trips.

As 'Emmalina' has already posted, the ideal time for S Andaman cruising ends in March/April when the monsoon shifts. However, while conditions may be more windy and unsettled - rainy - than when I was last there, the Straits are relatively protected from both sides, as is the E side of Phuket. In the Straits conditions should be good at least as far as Penang (where I lived and sailed as a child and where my sister lives now).

I'm certified as RYA Coastal Skipper (able to take charge of a yacht by day & night, up to 60 miles offshore, in tidal and non-tidal waters). If you are interested I would be willing to contribute to my fair share of running expenses and of course support myself off-boat. I'm based in London and would probably seek to get an open return air ticket to Bangkok, which would be convenient for both ends.

Please note that I would have to get my wife's blessing for this trip! She is still working, however, and has in the past encouraged my sailing interests - which she does not share! She's currently away from home at a conference until mid April. Looking forward to hearing from you should you be interested.

Austen Wilks
Old 03-04-2013, 23:34   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emmalina View Post
Its a good trip but not the best time of year to do it. Friend of mine just bought a cat back from HK to Phuket in 10 days...
Thanks Emmalina for advise. Unfortunately, the building process went longer than expected. We finally have the boat but the timing was out of our hands, so we have to make the best of it.
Old 07-04-2013, 02:47   #5

Thanks to our replies. We have decided to leave the trip until another time.

Tags
crew, skipper, wanted