Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 31-12-2008, 12:23   #1

Soldier looking for expeience

I am a soldier currently stationed on FOB Kalsu, Iraq. Further away from blue water than you can ever imagine. I am looking to be part a crew leaving florida to anywhere in apr/may. The only deep water experience i have is lobstering in maine for a few summers. Have cruised coastal waters in my 17 1/2 ft boat as much as possible with my multiple deployment schedule. I know some of you are laughing that you have dinghies bigger than that. But coming back and just floating under the stars with no noise, no people and the smell of the sea floating in the breeze is a rejuvenation for the soul. What I have to offer is the ability to fix about anything, 12/24v electronics - have literally fixed trucks under fire with gum. I have rebuilt engines including my last, a lm318 from the ground up including pocket pump. Boat repairs from replacing stringers to rebuilding stuffing box on a 23ft Penn Yan including some hilarious times replacing flotation foam with 2 litre mountain dew bottles, didnt have compressor or gun but had chemicals and fast hands. Probably my biggest asset is i am hard to panic, been through many things in my 17 years in the army with 4 combat tours and like to think i have kept a calm head in some tough situations. Grew up next to and in the ocean my entire childhood in Boston and have spent too much time away. If not for anything else I have been told that i have a plethora of funny stories. My goal is to retire in a few years and get into the cruiser lifestyle. After reading a lot of the posts on this site I realize that my knowledge is pitiful at best and I have a lot to learn. The information I have learned just here is fantastic but of course nothing substitutes for experience and hands on training. I know that lesson in spades and live it every day. Thanks for your consideration.

SFC Bill D
US Army
VIPERS
Old 31-12-2008, 15:30   #2

Happy New Year and thanks for your service to your country.

I sail in southern NE with my wife, weekends, but if you find yourself in this neck of the woods please contact me and come for a sail.
Old 01-01-2009, 06:51   #3
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Quote:
... I am looking to be part a crew leaving florida to anywhere in apr/may ...
Greetings, and WELCOME aboard, Bill.
How much time will you have, beginning in April/May ('09?) ?
Best of luck, on deployment, and then sailing.

Old 04-01-2009, 17:37   #4

Location: Currently on the HARD in Guaymas Mexico and staying in Phoenix, AZ
Boat: Columbia 45
I am here in PacNW. Going S next summer to Mex. Retiring, retire USA 1997. You can find my itenerary on www findacrew com. SV Dawn Treader. We would probably get along fine as we are from the same mold it seems. I am orig from Maine. Used to put the shorts in the bucket on teh propane burner and eat em' wile out fishing after checking all the pots. I sure don't miss the winters, but a bit of the mid-jul - end of Sep was jsut awesome downeast.
Old 05-01-2009, 12:19   #5

Boat: 15 foot Canoe
Aloha Sergeant Bill,
Welcome aboard! Thanks for serving. Sounds like you've got some life skills that will keep you afloat and the sailing and cruising knowledge will come easy for you. There are quite a few of us military retirees here on this forum so you'll have good company.
Kind regards,
JohnL
Old 28-02-2009, 09:15   #6

You are in FOB Kalsu?! That is my Brigade HQ. I was stationed there a couple months ago until they sent my battalion (1-77 FA) to PB Summers, Western Wasit Province
We still make regular runs to Kalsu because our Brigade, 172nd, is there. You are only a short convoy away.
Are you a part of the 172nd? I'd love to meet up and talk boats over a beer when we finally get back or if we end up back on Kalsu.
I also have limited experience aboard mostly an 18 footer, but I hope to buy a 35ish footer as soon as I get back (and get out) and start sailing around the world with my wife... But I also need to get some big-boat experience. After my initial post earlier tonight here:
http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...lly-24073.html I have come up with ideas of crewing aboard someone heading from Europe to the Caribbean and buying in Florida once we get there.
Good to know that there are other sailors in the Army! Let me know what unit you are with and I'll see if I can swing a visit if I ever make it back to Kalsu.
CPT Andrew Lea