Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Cruising Business & Commerce > Crew Positions: Wanted & Available > Crew Archives
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-10-2016, 09:58   #16

Boat: It’s in French Polynesia now
Re: SV Seeker (The Boat the Internet Built)

Sorry, if I started the controversy. Being posted in the "Crew Wanted" thread and not seeing the video, is confusing.

Some of us Sailors out here rely on portable broadband and/or wifi and have to pinch Our pennies/bytes, so to speak. Just a plan explanation would be the cure, along with referring a CF thread to another site.

When CF first started it would take about 10 seconds to download a page with our dial up modems.
Old 22-10-2016, 15:44   #17

Send a message via Skype™ to CharlesFCook

Quote:
Originally Posted by delmarrey View Post
Sorry, if I started the controversy. Being posted in the "Crew Wanted" thread and not seeing the video, is confusing.

Some of us Sailors out here rely on portable broadband and/or wifi and have to pinch Our pennies/bytes, so to speak. Just a plan explanation would be the cure, along with referring a CF thread to another site.

When CF first started it would take about 10 seconds to download a page with our dial up modems.
That's very nice to say delmarrey, but I'm sure it's my fault.
Old 22-10-2016, 16:08   #18
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlesFCook View Post
I have been on these forums for a long time and understand you can't please all the people all the time and for the most part replying to negative posts is a waste of time. But here is where I am coming from...

A) Not my project but I am a big fan.
B) What I posted is not a fake picture. What you see is the first frame from a video.
C) The video (for the few who have not watched it) is an invitation to get involved (in any way you want) in a very interesting project.
D) I can't put into text the contents of the video.
E) Free internet is very easy to find. Buy a beer they might have free Wi-Fi. With a little looking I bet you will find some. If not C'est la vie.

And with that let the flaming begin
Not a flame here. Everything I post is written in a friendly tone of voice with the sole intent to help others or to share info.

I understand your enthusiasm and support for that boat building project. I am familiar with the Seeker because I have watched several of the videos months ago. I wish them well.

Since I brought up the photo used on the video splash screen (initial image shows a Chinese Junk), I will address that, because earlier in this thread I mentioned that the photo shown (of the finished junk) did NOT show the boat or was not proof that the Seeker was finished and sailing.

The photo showing the finished junk boat in front of Hong Kong skyline is a photoshop edited image and does NOT show the boat being built. The original photo was edited (flipped and some features modified) to show some of the external decoration of the project boat. But, the original photo was made by a mariner who photographed many Junk boats while he worked in the Far East. The original photographer's name is Karsten Petersen. You can see his photos by googling his name. How do I know that? Because I study boats and have looked at a gazillion photos of boats for my own research into boats (I draw and paint boats). Karsten Petersen has admirable photos from his extensive travels as a mariner (on big commercial ships).

I am pointing this out simply to clarify that the image does NOT show the SV SEEKER project boat finished and sailing in Hong Kong.

That image is an edited photo image that is based on a photo from the 1970s and the original was made by Karsten Petersen. It appears as if the Seeker team simply pasted some small details (the golden dragon appliqué) on top of Petersen's original image and flipped it.
Old 26-10-2016, 15:23   #19

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Lippincott 30

This does not belong in Crew Wanted. Closed.

Tags
internet