Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-04-2013, 11:15   #16

Boat: C &C Crusader 40
Re: TAMPA BAY TO NEW ORLEANS... ASAP

Are you going into Lake Catherine Marina or the one in Slidell by the Rigolets?
Old 18-04-2013, 12:10   #17
Marine Service Provider

Could you give us a trip report when you get to NOLA? So us "armchair" sailors can live through your adventures?
Old 18-04-2013, 12:15   #18

Location: Everywhere that you want to be! "And, some that you don't!??
Boat: Boston Whaler
Send a message via AIM to UnExCorp Send a message via Skype™ to UnExCorp

Vicariously!
Old 18-04-2013, 12:32   #19
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

and for those of us going to return under own power to louisiana and gulf coast...is good for reference.
Old 18-04-2013, 13:49   #20
cruiser

Boat: Hunter 31'

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeehag View Post
there are a few of them there--one in lake catherine, and another in slidell...more also but i am not sure where they are--all in shallow water with channels that twist and turn...
arent there do it yourself yards in florida?????

In fact I know a number of people who have DIY, even while living aboard, at Salt Creek.
Old 18-04-2013, 15:28   #21

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33
Years ago you could haul cats in Tarpon Springs. Not sure about now, but regardless, I would at least getting power operational in FL before heading to the NOLA area.

Ive traversed this area a lot and, as others have pointed out, having power is critical on much of this route. Critical as in your life may depend on it. I would not feel comfortable setting out on this route w an OB strapped on for power.
Old 18-04-2013, 18:47   #22

Boat: Fountaine Pajot 44

my cat's 23 feet wide... salt creek's lift... 20'. I wish there were another option, but this is the closest yard that meets the requirements of the boat and the DIY. If anyone knows a\nother yard, I AM LISTENING!!!
Old 18-04-2013, 19:58   #23

Used to be marine railways in Tarpon Springs that could easily handle 23'. Anyone know if there still are?

Call a marina there and they should know. Sure would beat a dicey trip to NOLA.
Old 18-04-2013, 20:11   #24
Marine Service Provider

As a professional delivery captain I would not do this delivery... I would listen to what Belize has to say, there are areas that almost require auxiliary power... In all honesty paying a marine mechanic $100 an hour to sort out atleast one of your engines is cheaper than losing the yacht, and potentially killing your crew...
Old 19-04-2013, 05:51   #25

Another thought: try Pensacola...there used to be a substantial yard there w a large fixed straight arm crane used to lift cats. Dont know about the DIY part, but you could at least repair/replace the sail drive there.

Pensacola is not only a litte closer to you but also a much less hazardous route. The bay entrance is easy...the rigolets are not hard but power is a necesity. This route in the right wind you could sail and just likey need OB or tow for the entrance and to get up the channel where the yard is located. Much better scenario than relying on it in the "oil patch".

The ICW also connects from here to NOLA. If I had to do this route w questionable power then I would stay out of the oil patch and go this inside route.

The "oil patch" starts near the Louisiana border. It is chock full of oil rigs and commercial traffic also increases dramatically...this is not somewhere you want to find yourself w out power. The seas tend to be short and steep here too...not the best situation for improvised OB power.
Old 19-04-2013, 06:29   #26
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by belizesailor View Post
Another thought: try Pensacola...there used to be a substantial yard there w a large fixed straight arm crane used to lift cats. Dont know about the DIY part, but you could at least repair/replace the sail drive there.

Pensacola is not only a litte closer to you but also a much less hazardous route. The bay entrance is easy...the rigolets are not hard but power is a necesity. This route in the right wind you could sail and just likey need OB or tow for the entrance and to get up the channel where the yard is located. Much better scenario than relying on it in the "oil patch".

The ICW also connects from here to NOLA. If I had to do this route w questionable power then I would stay out of the oil patch and go this inside route.

The "oil patch" starts near the Louisiana border. It is chock full of oil rigs and commercial traffic also increases dramatically...this is not somewhere you want to find yourself w out power. The seas tend to be short and steep here too...not the best situation for improvised OB power.

Could this boat be run with two outboard motors? He'd still have to pick a good weather window to cross the Gulf, but that's do-able and in fact now (not today -- grin) might be a good time for that.

I'd also call Salt Creek, because they undoubtedly know what other facilities have. I have to say that if I had been looking for a catamaran, it never would have occurred to me that it could present this kind of problem.

I do think he needs at least two people to help him, so they can have sleep rotations -- the timetable expected may not unfold. I don't know much about catamarans but two outboards sounds better than one to me.

They would be easily sold when the engines were fixed/replaced, and the long-term overall expense for having temporary engine power would be small.

The rest of his equipment has to be top-notch. Just for starters, what shape are his sails in?
Old 19-04-2013, 08:42   #27

Boat: Custom 30

Port St. Joe, and Panama City have boatyards that haul the big shrimpers, and both would be far safer to approach than NOLA.

'
Old 19-04-2013, 09:03   #28

Boat: Bruce Roberts 44 Ofshore

Not do-able without power. It's that simple. You can cross the Gulf just fine without the iron Jenny, but then what? You got to negotiate the oilfields and then some twisty channels with severe currents and considerable traffic. A little 22 foot monohull knockabout sloop in experienced hands, no problem. Not much of a problem, I should say. A 44' cat? Forget it. One outboard? One outboard on a 44' cat is not giving me any warm fuzzy feelings. A friend with a 24' powerboat? What is his experience level? I am not liking this at all. Now a matched pair of outboards, (you can get pairs, with a right hand and a left hand prop) could work quite well for you, once you have them professionally set up and you have some experience maneuvering with them. You might even like them enough to not bother repairing your inboards. Maneuverability is excellent with right and left hand outboards.

I am in New Orleans, and I will tell you, the Rigolets will eat your lunch, if you even make it that far. Call it off. Fix your boat right there in FL. or at least get a matched pair of OBs. Good luck finding crew. I don't mean to sound harsh, but it doesn't sound like you have ever done anything like this before, to me.
Old 19-04-2013, 09:05   #29
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrowleyMonster View Post
Not do-able without power. It's that simple. You can cross the Gulf just fine without the iron Jenny, but then what? You got to negotiate the oilfields and then some twisty channels with severe currents and considerable traffic. A little 22 foot monohull knockabout sloop in experienced hands, no problem. Not much of a problem, I should say. A 44' cat? Forget it. One outboard? One outboard on a 44' cat is not giving me any warm fuzzy feelings. A friend with a 24' powerboat? What is his experience level? I am not liking this at all. Now a matched pair of outboards, (you can get pairs, with a right hand and a left hand prop) could work quite well for you, once you have them professionally set up and you have some experience maneuvering with them. You might even like them enough to not bother repairing your inboards. Maneuverability is excellent with right and left hand outboards.

I am in New Orleans, and I will tell you, the Rigolets will eat your lunch, if you even make it that far. Call it off. Fix your boat right there in FL. or at least get a matched pair of OBs. Good luck finding crew. I don't mean to sound harsh, but it doesn't sound like you have ever done anything like this before, to me.
I think it would be very smart to check out Pensacola. Salt Creek might well know what is available there. I know there are a lot of boat yards in the area.
Old 19-04-2013, 11:25   #30

Boat: 42' Colvin Gazelle
Try Belle Hatchee marina in Labelle FL, hole in the wall kind of place, they used to haul out only multihulls last time I was there....few years back. Dont have any more info, you will have to call them.