Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-04-2013, 09:58   #46

Re: Tampa Bay to New Orleans... ASAP

I've made this trip 3 times via the GICW in my trawler. I also have a lot of sailing experience, but I wouldn't attempt this trip without some way to charge the batteries. You'd have to go Tampa Bay to MS sound and have some way to see, be seen by, and avoid the oil rig resupply boats. If you plan on going up the MS river, I don't think an 18 hp outboard on a big cat will buck the current, esp this time of year with all the rainfall coming down the river. I'd be interested IF you had at least one operative engine. BTW, you can avoid the Rigolets, but only if you take the ICW to the Industrial Canal and then go up to Ponch. But you have the bridges to contend with.
Old 24-04-2013, 10:53   #47

Boat: Norm Cross 28 Tri, Hobie Miracle 20, Hobie trifoiler, Condor-40

Ive done this trip in the other direction and yes the oil fields are difficult. More so the "safety zones" used by the freighters are dangerous to cross even under power. Stay out of them except for crossing at 90'. I don't think I would attempt this trip without a motor to get out of danger especially when container and cruise ships approach. We were almost run down more than once. Get your AIS working. Have fun.
Old 25-04-2013, 12:49   #48

Boat: Kelsall Kelly 42' Catamaran
Pensacola has 2 shipyards that can pull big cats. Pensacola Shipyard and Patti Shipyard. Pensacola shipyard being the better of the two.
Old 25-04-2013, 13:57   #49

Well Capt Dave, I am sick of waiting for my house to sell to go on a boat - I have delivered 40ft, 65ft and 75ft cats but alas I am in France Europe - If you can pay my travel to you I would love the challenge helpiing you get your boat there, Don't worry about the travel back I have nothing to come back for - just like the sailing, teamwork, work etc, I have 5 years of mechanics behind me albeit on cars, I sort out electrics, I hot wire engines , I have my yatchmaster theory , I am a 54 year old female looking for a challenge and to boot I cook well! let me know