Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-01-2011, 15:37   #1

Send a message via MSN to zygfr3d Send a message via Skype™ to zygfr3d
Tierra del Fuego to North

Hey guys! Just a few words about me - I am young (23), long-time traveler from Poland and I'm just the end of the world, Ushuaia, Argentina. I hitchhiked from Mexico all the way down in 16 months. Although my journey is coming to an end, it's not finished yet, untill I get home.

So, I'd like to find (hitchhike) a boat from Ushuaia/Puerto Williams to any destination at the north of America, preferably Caribbean or directly to Africa/Europe. It could be a sailing boat but also I'dd enjoy a free ride on freighter (yeah, I've read about expensive guest cabins, thanks) or cruiser on which I could work during passage.

I am a sailor with a polish skipper licence, STCW95 and SRC Radio Certificates. I got experience in long-distance cruises on sea, serving as 1st mate on shorter charters etc. Speak english, spanish and of course polish (but nobody cares that ). I am a mountain guide and climber, I'm prepared for though conditions, night watches etc and I'm not writing this because it looks good.

Problem is with getting from Ushuaia to northern hemisphere. Actually, I would take any chance to go everywhere north from Buenos Aires latitude (Pacyfic or Atlantic coast, it doesn't matter). I have plenty of time, can also share some costs naturally.

I plan to spend in Ushuaia no more than 2 months (max) looking for a boat. I'll try to find a cheap place to sleep, maybe somewhere where I could work for an accomodation. It would be perfect if it was some kind of work near or even better, in the yachtclub or marina, so if you don't know nothing about boats going my desired direction but you know someone who [...can help me somehow] it will be great also! I know what is sailing about and I could even work on the boats staying at the marina just to be "near". During my travel I realized that if you are staying on the boats, other bluewaters, skippers and crew members don't look at you as for a stranger or even worse 'another guy dreaming of sailing'... I also know now, that dreams come true if one believes in them. And a I'm a believer :]

I am open-minded guy, with sense of humour and some good stories to tell. Looking forward to any response :] I am a photographer, maybe not a profesional (yet ) but I'm trying. Can also make movies, so some material from the cruise it's more than sure...

Give me a chance! Give me a shot if you know something that could be useful for me! :] Thanks a lot!

Kuba
kuba.fedorowicz /at/ gmail.com
grandtour - latinoamerica z plecakiem
Old 08-01-2011, 16:29   #2

Boat: M/V Carquinez Coot
Can't help you, Kuba. But for a half-day's diversion, I recommend riding the southern-most railroad in the world. The tourist trains are hauled by an unusual Union-Garrett locomotive. The half-meter-gauge railway was once used on a prison logging operation.

Old 09-01-2011, 06:43   #3

heh, thanks, markpierce, I'll give it a try probably in the next week :] Yesterday I went to the prison museum, very interesting.. it's strange feeling but I regret sometimes that I wasn't born earlier and I couldn't be part of this pioneers expeditions... Sailing on the tallships with for example captain Cook, having opportunity to see native tribes of Patagonia... Or later, XIX/XX century, charting islands, conquesting Antarctica, living rough and dangerous life, without gore-tex, musto or henry lloyd's jackets, pants etc... it was easier to crew on board then... more complicated was to get back to home :] Well, I think my soul always heared some voices from the golden era of tallships, pirates and in this prison I've heard the call also... :] I even sometimes wish that I travelled 30 years ago when South America was a different place that today, without millions of tourists, hostels, agencies... yeah, maybe I'm romantic :] Everything changes and I'm glad that I'm here anyway :]

So, once again thanks for an answer and now it's time to visit marina, I suppose :]
Old 09-01-2011, 07:18   #4

Boat: FPD 1760 LCD 17"screen
Wow Cuba ,what a trip. Congrats on making it to the end of the world . It made me laugh as I always threaten my man that I will start walking the Panamerican highway, which passes 5 km behind my house, if my extended stay in Mexico takes much longer, but that is another story. From now on though I shall just tell him it can be done...

You might get a trip to Uruguay or Brasil from Buenos Aires. If you are looking for a private non commercial vessel , the traffic almost always goes into that direction. However I know that there are foreign Cruisers coming to Ushuaia, but my idea is that it is a bit early for that as far as ocean conditions go. Someone with knowledge of routes and times might be able to chip in that info. Checking out the marinas is a good idea . I would second that .
Old 09-01-2011, 07:41   #5

Boat: private yacht always moving
might want to try to find this book if you are interested in continuing on your journey on sailboats at somepoint
The Seagoing Hitchhiker's Handbook : Roaming the Earth on Other People's Yachts
I bought on several years ago, then decided to buy my own sailboat instead,

used about 8 bucks have even found an add for a new one for 371.00 some people will try to sell you anything for a high price,

I found the book had very good info and was worth the 15.00 I paid for it several years ago
Old 09-01-2011, 07:51   #6

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: None at this time
Jeanne Socrates is either in Ushuaia or Puerto Williams. She just suffered a knockdown and will probably need a hand getting her boat sea worthy. I know nothing of her plans, just follow her blog. You might want to look her up and see if she is continuing on. May be able to get a ride in exchange for helping her. Good luck. Boat name is Nereida.

She actually may not be there yet...tomorrow or the next day maybe.
Old 09-01-2011, 09:40   #7

Adax - heh, yeah, sure it can be done :] But sooner or later Panamericana starts to be boring and it's good then 'go off the trail' :] I've been to marina in Buenos Aires and seriously, it's rather a yachtclub only for members.. No place to stick a flyer, dificult to find sailors/bluewaters among tourists eating and drinking in the expensive restaurants near the docks.. but place itself is very beautiful! :] Of course you have right about traffic, it's just really hard to make a contact from outside. This is what I meant by saying 'good to be on boat' and not to come as a
stranger'.

CaptainKJ - wow, interesting book! I've taken some looks at the book about sailing trails, seasons, currents etc. I don't remember the name.. but I'm sure that there are few of them. Captain with who I sailed in Panama used to say that this is his bible. I believe him, he sailed around world solo, non stop.. :] I must say that I haven't heard about this book, but I'll try to look for it somewhere here or in internet..

Wow, DeepFrz, that is a great hint! I sent message already to Jeanne, maybe I'll meet her in marina later. Thanks!
Old 15-01-2011, 13:37   #8

nothing found yet, I keep trying. I met polish crew on luxury sailinboat going in next week to Antarctica and I'm hanging out from time to time with them. Anyway, I'm still here.