Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-11-2013, 10:51   #1

to Guatemala winter

Trying to test the waters. I am in the planning stages of a trip to Guatemala. this trip would be strictly one-way as I plan to intern/volunteer long term leaving Florida mid/late December. I complete my semester the 4th, will haul and do minor maintenance, a week tops in Titusville/stuart and must arrive the first week in Jan NO DRUGS period! late model 32 ft Beneteau
Old 16-11-2013, 07:06   #2

Boat: Beneteau Idylle 13.5, C&C 31, and Windrider 16
Re: to Guatemala winter

I may be available by the time you are ready to go. Please tell us more details of your plan.
Old 20-11-2013, 23:16   #3

hey there, I sent you an email!
Old 21-11-2013, 08:57   #4

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33
Hmmm, "must arrive by....", I sense a schedule creeping in - always a bad idea.

Also, I've lived in Guate on the Rio Dulce for many years, happy to answer any questions.
Old 21-11-2013, 14:24   #5

I know what you mean. I tell people all the time, If you really want to understand how little control you have in your life, just jump on a sailboat with a plan to be somewhere by a certain time. My must is actually having internet by..... the first week o Jan and I do not find that an unreasonable expectation. but I am aware of the potential for delay.. I would love to ask you a lot of questions, and take you up on your offer. I will PM you my e-mail address. thanks
Old 21-11-2013, 18:17   #6

Happy to help via email or forum, but consider that posting here on the forum might benefit others too...and get their input (plenty of others familiar with the Rio here on CF). So, I encourge you to post your questions here.
Old 21-11-2013, 18:39   #7

Thank You Belizesailor, you made a valid point, and I will ask my questions about the Rio Dulce here. To provide some background for yourself and others, I am A grad student and plan to take up to two years to complete my degree. My program of study is Nonprofit management and in an online format. I plan to use my trip to Guatemala to further limited Spanish speaking abilities, as well as to assist as well as to gain insight into area NGO's My question about the Rio Dulce are: 1) the bridge is how high in clearance? May mast is 50 ft or a little over 15 meters. 2)I plan to travel the interior, sometimes for weeks at a time, using the boat as a base, In your opinion where would be the a reasonable secure place.3) I am completing some maintenance right now prior to leaving, If I were to do my bottom work, is there any benefit to having it done there? time is a major consideration and I plan to dive it clean this weekend 4) What are some of the NGO's in that area that serve the community. I have quite of few opportunities inland, but would prefer to remain close to my home.

Thanks again for your advice

Gradstudent.
Old 21-11-2013, 19:09   #8

Boat: ‘01 Catana 401
50' under the bridge is no problem. And right on the river is casa Guatemala, an orphanage. You can read up about it on the rio dulce chisme, and the Rauscher book covers all the bends up the river as well as the bridge clearance.
Old 21-11-2013, 19:15   #9

Thumbs up Re: to Guatemala winter

Thanks, I had already sent inquiry awaiting reply to Casa Guatemala.
Old 22-11-2013, 05:27   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by gradstudent View Post
Thank You Belizesailor, you made a valid point, and I will ask my questions about the Rio Dulce here. To provide some background for yourself and others, I am A grad student and plan to take up to two years to complete my degree. My program of study is Nonprofit management and in an online format. I plan to use my trip to Guatemala to further limited Spanish speaking abilities, as well as to assist as well as to gain insight into area NGO's My question about the Rio Dulce are: 1) the bridge is how high in clearance? May mast is 50 ft or a little over 15 meters. 2)I plan to travel the interior, sometimes for weeks at a time, using the boat as a base, In your opinion where would be the a reasonable secure place.3) I am completing some maintenance right now prior to leaving, If I were to do my bottom work, is there any benefit to having it done there? time is a major consideration and I plan to dive it clean this weekend 4) What are some of the NGO's in that area that serve the community. I have quite of few opportunities inland, but would prefer to remain close to my home.

Thanks again for your advice

Gradstudent.
Loads of Spanish schools and NGOs working in Guate so those two objectives are easily met.

1) Bridge clearance is about 85' at center, but there are power lines that droop to about 65' immediately up stream of the bridge. Neither are worries for 50' mast height. Gets entertaining at 65'+ though!

2) Interior Travel. Guatemala is an amazing country and there are a number of good marinas where you can leave your boat securely. See (nothing indicated by order) Brunos, Tijax, Catamarans, Marios, Tortugal...

3) Bottom Job Etc. Rates have crept up on the Rio in reason years, but are still reasonable. There are two boat yards: RAM and Abels. I suggest you contact them for current prices. You can find their contact info on www.riodulcechisme.com. This is a web site run by and for the local gringo cruiser community so you can find listings for all marinas and boat related services there...as well as get some insight, for better or worse, into the local gringo community.

4) Local NGOs. I dont know much about NGOs, but there are a lot working in Guate. A couple of local entities (technically NGO or not I dont know) are Casa Guatemala and Ak Tenamit (see
http://www.aktenamit.org/).
Old 25-11-2013, 07:23   #11

Hi GradStudent
I'm matthew. I'm a french Canadian and I'm doing a big bicycle trip thru America and I'm Right now in the south of Florida. I'm really interesting by your trip. Timing it's just perfect for me. I don't have experience in sailboating but, I'm a hard worker, quick learner and good cook! You can write me on my email if you're interesing by my application: yuconshie@hotmail.com

With pleasure
Math
Old 04-12-2013, 06:35   #12

Hello, I am interested in helping crew. My open ocean experience is by no means extensive, but I'm eager to learn and help out. I have ample sailing experience up here on the Great Lakes and have helped crew other sloop rigged boats on 3 charter trips in the Caribbean. Are you still shooting for the end of December for departure?
Scott
Old 11-12-2013, 09:52   #13

Howdy!

If you have yet to fill spots please let me know! I am making my way to southern Belize to help build the countries first Earthship and my travel plans, or lack of plans, have landed me in Florida. I could jump on an airplane, honestly where is the fun in that, but have decided to pursue other options of travel and have stumbled upon this here forum. My only really sailing experience is when I spent two years upon a rowing and sailing team a few years back in the San Juan Islands of Washington... Again if you have positions available for a hardworking adventurous soul please get in contact with me.

Thanks for your time,
-Billy Ray
williamhray@live.com

Tags
Guatemala