Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-06-2015, 21:43   #1

Boat: Shuttleworth Advantage 44
Unpaid cruising positions

I'm preparing to bring our boat from Ft. Lauderdale FL, to Portland OR - starting in late October 2015. She's an amazing boat, a Shuttleworth 44 catamaran, beautiful and sound inside and out and very well equipped (Radar, AIS, etc) and with safety equipment (and an ice maker). This journey isn't a fast delivery, it will be a slow cruise, enjoying Caribbean islands throughout the winter and then transiting Panama in the spring ending up in Hawaii around mid May 2016. Then we'll head over to Portland and up the Columbia river, finishing the journey some time in early June. The idea is plenty of time to have fun and follow appropriate weather windows and current/wind direction.

I'm a liberal in mindset and I will have my 16 and 9 year old daughters with me. Unfortunately my partner, Rusty, is unable to come because he has to work (we'll be starting our real cruising life when he retires in 3 years.) I have been building up my experience over the last few years, including taking an incredibly intensive course through Sea Semester that included 4 weeks on the water in passage from St. Croix to Bermuda and Bermuda to NYC on a 135' Brigantine tall ship. During that time we covered approximately ASA 101 - 108 with a mate hanging over my shoulder and giving me advice on how to improve my skills.

I am hoping that maybe there are some people who have plenty of experience, but maybe don't have a boat right now for some reason, that would like to join us. Perhaps you sold the boat for financial reasons, or maybe you retired from cruising but miss it and would love to take another journey. I'd love to find another couple, even with kids who would appreciate this opportunity. Ideally I'm looking for 2-3 adults.

My preference would be for people who can do the whole trip with me, but I will consider having people on different legs if no one can commit to this amount of time. If this sounds like an opportunity you might be interested in - or you know someone who might be, please message me for consideration.

Taunya ~
SV On The Bright Side
Old 06-06-2015, 14:28   #2

Boat: Ericson 26-2
Re: Unpaid cruising positions

Quote:
Originally Posted by taunyamc View Post
I'm preparing to bring our boat from Ft. Lauderdale FL, to Portland OR - starting in late October 2015. She's an amazing boat, a Shuttleworth 44 catamaran, beautiful and sound inside and out and very well equipped (Radar, AIS, etc) and with safety equipment (and an ice maker). This journey isn't a fast delivery, it will be a slow cruise, enjoying Caribbean islands throughout the winter and then transiting Panama in the spring ending up in Hawaii around mid May 2016. Then we'll head over to Portland and up the Columbia river, finishing the journey some time in early June. The idea is plenty of time to have fun and follow appropriate weather windows and current/wind direction.

I'm a liberal in mindset and I will have my 16 and 9 year old daughters with me. Unfortunately my partner, Rusty, is unable to come because he has to work (we'll be starting our real cruising life when he retires in 3 years.) I have been building up my experience over the last few years, including taking an incredibly intensive course through Sea Semester that included 4 weeks on the water in passage from St. Croix to Bermuda and Bermuda to NYC on a 135' Brigantine tall ship. During that time we covered approximately ASA 101 - 108 with a mate hanging over my shoulder and giving me advice on how to improve my skills.

I am hoping that maybe there are some people who have plenty of experience, but maybe don't have a boat right now for some reason, that would like to join us. Perhaps you sold the boat for financial reasons, or maybe you retired from cruising but miss it and would love to take another journey. I'd love to find another couple, even with kids who would appreciate this opportunity. Ideally I'm looking for 2-3 adults.

My preference would be for people who can do the whole trip with me, but I will consider having people on different legs if no one can commit to this amount of time. If this sounds like an opportunity you might be interested in - or you know someone who might be, please message me for consideration.

Taunya ~
SV On The Bright Side

I'd Be Interested in enjoying you and your family on your delivery of On The Bright Side. I will be able to join you for the complete voyage. I have experience on my own boat which I sail solo. Would like sail with others, More enjoyable then alone.

Thank You
Jay
safrojay@gmail.com
Old 07-06-2015, 14:46   #3

Boat: OPB (Other Peoples Boats)
Send a message via Skype™ to softgoodsint

I commend you're advanced planning - being 4+ months ahead of departure (compared to the number of "can someone be here tomorrow, before noon?"). Good on you. My "summer of frantic" (that is, 60+ hours weeks at work) will finish in September, assuming it doesn't finish me first. So I'll be ready for a stiff breeze (& and probably a stiff drink) by October (or later). I'll PM in due course, but just to ask, given the considerable length of time you describe, I'm assuming you're open to "segments", since very few of us have the luxury of such long stretches. I'm particularly keen to join just prior to the Canal and be there to be a line handler through the locks. (long story there)...
Best Regards
Old 07-06-2015, 19:35   #4

Thanks for responding. Yes, I'm hoping to have one or two that will stay with me the whole trip and maybe a couple others who come and go for certain passages. So that would be a possibility. Of course, if I can't find people to do the whole trip, I may have to make due with what I can get, in any case.

I am hoping that given the amount of advance notice I'll find a couple who are able and will commit to all or most of it. And it's looking pretty good so far. Feel free to PM me.

Thanks!

Taunya
Old 08-06-2015, 11:48   #5
Marine Service Provider

Thumbs up Re: Unpaid cruising positions

Hello Taunya,
I'll PM with details.
Let's talk.
Old 09-06-2015, 15:04   #6

Hi,

I live on Bainbridge Island in WA and have wanted to do the passage you are talking about, only in reverse (heading to Caribbean and then eventually Europe).

I have two daughters myself, 14 and 10 at the time you want to depart.

It is not likely I could do the whole thing. Too many other demands on time. If you are amenable, I'd like to propose working out times when you might need the help. There are times that might work well for bringing one or both of my daughters out as well.

I have a profile up on findacrew.net at
https://www.findacrew.net/en/crew/251164

You can contact me at my e-mail address
aflannery@chezflan.net.

Sounds like a great trip.

Tony
Old 09-06-2015, 21:03   #7

Boat: Columbia 35

Greetings Taunya, my name is Brian Low. I would be interested in exploring possibilities and would be able to commit to the entire trip. My experience is limited to coastal sailing and navigation but it includes 16 years in sailboats and over 30 years involved in wilderness adventure. I have advanced training in first aid, 30 years experience in emergency response, and 14 year old daughter wh has trained me well . There is a possibility that my GF could join us for some legs of the trip.

Retired in 2 weeks. I'll be heading out to my boat on the coast (Okeover Inlet) June 24 until early October and heading south after that. I can be reached at forestlogic@hotmail.com.

Kind regards, Brian
Old 12-06-2015, 11:50   #8

Hi Taunya, I am interested. My bio is listed on crew bay.com. I just joined this site and will be working on entering my bio. I live in Naples, Florida. I could do the whole trip.

Richard Naples
fdnynapes@gmail.com
Old 29-06-2015, 09:50   #9

Taunya, my wife, 2 girls (presently 6 and 9), and I would be interested in accompanying you for a week or two in the Caribbean. We currently have a weekender catamaran that we sail on, which we are in the process of selling to buy a larger cat. We have a two year plan to start cruising. Our experience is mostly day sailing, but we are willing to help out and learn whatever we can. And the girls are very comfortable on the water, in boats, and are currently homeschooled.

Thanks,
Ian
Old 29-06-2015, 16:29   #10
Marine Service Provider

Hello Taunya,
Never heard back from you.
Please confirm receipt of my PM.
What is your status? Still looking?
JR
Old 03-07-2015, 21:45   #11

I just wanted to let people know that at this point the positions have been filled for this trip. However, this is a long ways out and things happen, crew cancels etc. If you are interested in the trip and would like to be considered as an alternate... please let me know and I can put you on the wait-list.

Thanks for your interest.
Old 04-07-2015, 04:38   #12

Yes, please put us on the list if a temporary spot opens up.

Thanks
Old 18-07-2015, 20:20   #13

I probably can't do the entire trip but I am in the Ft. Lauderdale area and can possibly help you get underway into the Caribbean and possibly beyond. Keep me posted, thanks!
Old 18-07-2015, 22:06   #14

Boat: OPB while I search for mine

Hi Taunya,

I'm not positive I could do the whole trip, though I might be able to -- but definitely put me on your alternate list if someone else falls through. If you'd like to get in touch I can give you more details on my experience and background, but I will mention that I'm an former EMT-I , so I have significant first aid/emergency medicine experience, including wilderness medicine and the like.

Feel free to PM or e-mail me if a spot opens up or you have any questions. And safe sailing for you and your girls, hopefully it will be a wonderful experience for all of you!

Darren
Old 30-07-2015, 17:24   #15

Boat: 46ft performance cat

Hi , interesting topic, we have just bought the same model cat in Australia and are preparing to sail home to NZ in September, not a lot of the advantage 44,s around. Dave

Tags
cruising