Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-04-2012, 23:23   #1

Urgent! Florida to UK Early May

Hi all, URGENT NOW! Two crew required again now as planned departure (early May) fast approaching. Our skipper now tells us he is going to be delayed (That lost us another crew) and probably wont make the departure date and talks of joining the boat in Bermuda UGH!...We need someone in from the start.....He was non commercial so our arrangement was to pay for his return air fare and board on the boat. (Vagabond 47) If there is another person with skipper/ocean experience who would love to sail our boat, have the opportunity for an Atlantic crossing please contact without delay......... One other experienced crew required, you will need to find your travel expenses and a one off chip in to food. All other boat related costs paid by owner. We can collect you from a Florida airport and at UK destination forward you on to the nearest UK principal town or airport.
Note we have two other crew, one RYA Yachtmaster, other Competent crew RYA with several thousand NM between them....Me owner, I will be at the boat for preparation,victualling but have to return for work, so skipper no flappy owner looking over your shoulder..If interested PLEASE REPLY WITHOUT DELAY so we can make the departure happen. Please note much equipment aboard for crew and boat safety. Destination in Uk (Whitehaven, Cumbria), if on time could coincide with a large maritime/ Queens Silver Jubilee event...
Look forward to hearing from you,
Regards, Graham, Pam, Derbyshire, England.
Old 14-04-2012, 23:44   #2

Send a message via Skype™ to Vickfarr
Re: URGENT! FLORIDA to UK EARLY MAY

Hello.
I have sailing experience 20 years over. All sea-going Certificates are available.
Please contact for detailed resume?CV.
Sincerely,
Victor
ztrident(at)me.com
Old 15-04-2012, 05:09   #3
Ram

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cat in the med & Trawler in Florida
Re: URGENT! FLORIDA to UK EARLY MAY

Seems like unpaid crew are not so reliable,and perhaps it may be wise to get a 'pro' CAPTAIN onboard??? Good Luck!
Old 15-04-2012, 06:27   #4

Re: Urgent! Florida to UK Early May

Thanks for those words of wisdom...... We are aware that there are many commercial skippers out there that are thoroughly reliable and honour there arrangements sometimes beyond their remit and we salute them. We have just been unlucky with both sorts so far... Graham.
Old 15-04-2012, 10:27   #5

Send a message via Skype™ to Lserpa

Graham,

everybody has had problems on boats. We, professional skippers, had problems with owners, for instance. That doesn't make all owners unreliable, nor all skippers.

And a professional skipper, at least, minimizes chances of things going wrong - just as an experienced owner is easier than a first time owner.

Cheers,

Luis

(I've sent you a PM, previously).
Old 15-04-2012, 11:22   #6

Hi there Luis, we appreciate your comments...We are not trying to apportion blame anywhere.... as I have said previously we had just been unlucky so far...Maybe we have not handled things well? Was advertising for crew 3 months back the best thing to do, it seemed the sensible thing to do at the time? We had all things sorted pretty quickly, but I now think that the interim time is too much as too many other things happen in peoples lives that lead to changes in their plans.......If this voyage does not happen this year then I will do it myself next year when my employ should no longer be an issue. Fingers crossed!

Kind regards, G n P.
Old 15-04-2012, 11:54   #7

Send a message via Skype™ to Lserpa

Good! I do hope you sort it out.

In any case, we are available and can be in Florida on time. Just let us know.

kind regards,

Luis
Old 17-04-2012, 13:15   #8

VOYAGE CANCELLED!
Old 17-04-2012, 13:40   #9
cruiser

Boat: O'day 32 CC Ketch

Owner problem?
Old 17-04-2012, 23:03   #10

I AM THE OWNER!........Very very late crew withdrawals, not enough time to re crew/reschedule due to paid for voyage insurance restrictions, Ugh!........English and I will keep my reserve!
Old 25-04-2012, 18:32   #11
cruiser

Dear English, Money makes the world and boats go round all info you have ever posted says "tightwad" in esperanthu
Old 27-04-2012, 13:32   #12

Boat: Catalina 350

Jesus Wept!

There seems to be a recurring theme in these threads that made me go back and read the rules.

May I ask a rhetorical question. What is the difference between aggressive panhandling and the responses to crew positions available?

Why is it that many who wish to make a living moving boats around insist upon hanging their shingle on everyone elses adverts implying that paid help is required or "there be MONSTERS! in the sea" which of course can be scared away by forking over to someone who wants money.

Someone ought to moderate these threads and throw all the commercial posts in a non commercial thread out.

OBTW the rules also say "be courteous"

Have a nice day!
Old 28-04-2012, 00:50   #13

ALOHA captain, what is the date of your departure and are you still looking for crew to help bring boat to Europe?
You can also reply to live4life at list dot ru
Thanks for your time!
Ziggy
Old 28-04-2012, 03:01   #14
Armchair Bucketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuthbert View Post

Why is it that many who wish to make a living moving boats around insist upon hanging their shingle on everyone elses adverts implying that paid help is required or "there be MONSTERS! in the sea" which of course can be scared away by forking over to someone who wants money.
Lol! - IMO some people do overstep the line, but those are easy to discount / are entertaining - apart from that I don't really see what the problem is with folks hanging out a shingle.

In this thread, I simply see folks making the point (IMO a very valid one) that paying for a Skipper / Crew would far more likely have ensured that the folks actually turned up! ...rather than finding they (genuinely) have something better to do - getting cash in the pocket simply raises the bar against other things (whether paid is better or not being a seperate matter).
Old 28-04-2012, 04:53   #15

And asking volunteer crew to pay air fare and chip in for food seems above and beyond. You would be getting a donation of crew's time, skills, and risk-taking. The least you could do was feed them. Your posts felt like you were asking for crew to help subsidize your crossing.

Tags
florida