Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Cruising Business & Commerce > Crew Positions: Wanted & Available > Crew Archives
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-06-2014, 22:21   #1

Boat: Catalina 36
Victoria BC to Mexico, need experienced crew

Young couple, in early twenties are looking for an experienced crew member to head from Victoria, BC to Mexico(leaving from Nanaimo and will pick you up in Victoria). Both have taken the basic sailing courses, and I myself have grown up sailing on the great slave lake in the NWT.

We have a 36' 1984 Catalina which we've purchased last October 2013, and have been working on it all winter and summer. Hoping to be ready to leave by mid-late August/September.

In the mean time, we are also open to having crew come on board for some weekend sailing for a little more experience(Nanaimo area). We also own two dogs, an american staffy, along with a small little dachshund terrier. So, obviously we need someone who would be okay with slobbery kisses.

We would like somebody who would be able to teach us techniques, and be willing to work with a learn-along the way crew.

Please message for more details if interested!

Thanks,
Jordan and Bianca
Old 20-06-2014, 09:46   #2

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Lippincott 30
Re: Victoria BC to Mexico, need experienced crew

There are a LOT of challenges going south the route you have described, as you are fighting currents, there are very few places you can go ashore if your thinking of jumping from harbor to harbor, and any experienced sailor will think long and hard before attempting this.

Some links to discussion on this here on CruisersForum:

pacific northwest - Cruisers & Sailing Forums - Discussions about Pacific Northwest

http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...ing-19949.html

http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...pnw-38329.html

http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...pnw-46800.html

And a quote from another site:

Quote:
I sailed from Neah Bay, Washington to San Francisco, California in August, 2008. Most information I was able to garner before leaving Washington alerted me to the fact this passage could be at the very least challenging, if not a down right dangerous. Shipping my boat over the road was my first choice but had insufficient funds. No need to repeat the information Robin provided regarding why sailing a route far enough offshore is a good idea. A downside though is that the farther off shore you are the stronger the wind and bigger the waves. Having sailed the route "downwind" I would never undertake a passage from South to North. In my case wind was 35, gusting to 40 - waves 12'-14'. Granted, the diminutive size of my boat, 27' on deck figures into my thinking. Nearly broached once. I do not know whether a big wave or a broach was the cause, but I awoke after going below for a quick snooze with my boat 110 degrees from vertical. This happened after altering course from dead downwind onto a port tack with the wind 45 degrees aft of her beam. Thought I waited long enough, observed long enough to believe everything was copesthetic before going below. My position was about 80 n.m. west of Cape Mendocino, California. I can honestly say without reservation, after completing one global circumnavigation I have never experienced conditions approaching those encountered during this passage any place else...

If you can afford trucking your boat...

Sailing North along west coat of America - Weather and Routing - World Cruising Club
Good luck. It can definitely be done, just be aware of the challenges.
Old 20-06-2014, 10:41   #3
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Valiant 40 (1975)

I know this sounds awful, but I do pay my experienced crew from Astoria to Friday Harbor and back again. Its not that the sailing is bad (which it can be) its just that a typical journey (for me at least when I was new) Was: Sailling:10-20%, Motoring 40%, Barfing 10% Cold and shivering 20%, Just wishing it was over: The rest of the time.
Now that I do this leg twice a year, I motor much less (sail more) and shiver much less in my insulated survival suits, but it still is hard and at times miserable.
Very few things left in this world which are physically hard and emotionally and intellectually challenging. I applaud you making the journey, but to get free experienced help? Probably not.
Old 20-06-2014, 12:21   #4

Boat: Sail any boats from 28 to 60 ft

Quote:
Originally Posted by s/v Beth View Post
I applaud you making the journey, but to get free experienced help? Probably not.
This is golden. Thanks for speaking out.
Old 20-06-2014, 12:40   #5

My apologies, I should've made myself a little bit more clearer. We obviously did not expect anyone to come on this trip for free, definitely not. If anyone were to message us if interested, we would obviously go through everything(money, food, return trips, meet in person, get to know each other, etc)

We have done research, and know this passage can be challenging. We have heard about hiring "mentors" for inexperienced people, which is more or less what we're looking for. If anyone could direct us to someone who can help, or any information you can pass along would also be appreciated.
Old 20-06-2014, 13:49   #6

Hi -
I thought I'd chime in - I'd encourage you to consider an 'owner-assisted' delivery from BC to San Francisco. From someone like this:
https://www.mustadmarine.com/

I'd guess there are people in the Seattle area with similar qualifications.
cw
Old 20-06-2014, 15:17   #7

This was really useful, thank you so much!
Old 05-07-2014, 15:33   #8

I am in SF area and have made many passages south. Captain and/or crew available. Please contact me at jrwaltersr@yahoo.com jrwaltersr@yahoo.com.
Old 06-07-2014, 04:40   #9

Hello,

I will be home in Vancouver for my sister's wedding in August. When are you thinking of leaving? If the dates work out, I am interested. Send me a line. =)

Cheers,
Joseph
Old 06-07-2014, 05:12   #10

Boat: Cooper 416

Did it by myself on a Cooper 416. Just pick your windows and go.
Old 14-07-2014, 06:20   #11
Marine Service Provider

Boat: 1978 41' Island Trader
Send a message via MSN to CaptainPatty Send a message via Skype™ to CaptainPatty

Hello,

I am not certain if you need crew to help you sail to Mexico, teaching you along the way or just to train you for the voyage. Can you please clarify what it is that you need. Please feel free to email me at captainpatty@live.com.

Thank you.
Old 14-07-2014, 11:04   #12

Boat: own design double ender strip planked fiberglassed

I started my circumnavigation from BC in the mid 90s, it will be an adventure, I hope just the beginning of a long one!
How will you self steer? That was lesson 1 for me on that same voyage, it's impossible to overstate how important that is even when fully crewed. My self steering system was not up to it, now I have about 6 different ways of doing it. Hours on end hand steering in heavy seas takes all the fun out of it.
Old 14-07-2014, 12:35   #13

Boat: Valiant 40-169

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockDAWG View Post
This is golden. Thanks for speaking out.
Aw shucks, I guess I was a fool to help my friends sail non-stopped from Victoria to San Diego last September for free. I even paid for my own return flight. Guess I just more generous than some people. I'm doing it in my own boat this August and my crew is not asking for payment.

Tags
crew, enc, Mexico