Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Cruising Business & Commerce > Crew Positions: Wanted & Available > Crew Archives
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-07-2012, 06:59   #1

Volunteer line handler - Panama canal - July 2012

I am adult male who would like to volunteer as a line handler for a panama canal crossing some time during the month of July 2012.

I am currently in Panama city and I can meet you here or in Shelter Bay. I will be in Panama city until July 15 2012 but I will remain in Panama until the end of July. I will be willing to return to meet you any time during july.

P.S. At the end of July I will be heading to Florida if anyone needs a hand on that route.

I am staying at "Luna Castle", 507-262-1540, or you can PM me.

Thanks

Matt
Old 12-07-2012, 07:16   #2

Boat: never wrecked a boat while awake or sober
Re: Volunteer line handler - Panama canal - July 2012

If you can't get an actual rendezvous, just BE at the docks early in the mornings.
When a line handler does not show up , it can put panic into a well planned event. I have taken last minute line handlers two out of three times through . And I was very thankful they were there.
Used to have convenient "Yacht Club " bars at each end, I believe they are both gone, but there must be a yachting watering hole .
Old 12-07-2012, 16:02   #3

Thanks Bruce. I am on the Pacific side now. What marina do you suggest I go to over here? The Balboa yacht club? - it has a nice restaurant / bar at the top of the ram. Or is there another with more possibilities? Also what time would you suggest that I need to be there in the morning?

Thanks
Old 12-07-2012, 20:21   #4

Boat: never wrecked a boat while awake or sober

been 5 years since i was there, balboa yacht club building was burnt out, but a new mini spot was oened for yachtsmen, on the same real estate. where ever yachties are hanging out at happy hour, go there. chat em up, every one is doing the same thing, orchestrating the transit.
pilots tell yachts to be ready quite early, so the yacht wants to have its handlers ready . then , the pilot may not show up until 10 or noon, depending on the openings of the locks.
the trip pacific to caribbean is more often an overnighter in the lake. Carib to pacific is usually one long day. so, the yacht has a bunch of line handlers sleeping aboard for a night,,,,so,,,, a traveling sailor/ american is usually more desirable aboard than one of the locals.
Old 15-07-2012, 14:51   #5

I just got a phone: My local Panama phone number is 60183191. Please call me or email me. I check email often.

Tags
Panama