Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-05-2009, 22:25   #1

Smile Want to Join Your Crew - Experienced!

Hello everyone. I have some sailing experience. Up to ASA bareboat charter. Soon will do off shore classes, probably late summer. I know classes mean crap, but they help. I know experience is what matters. Also sail 14ft Bahia Lasers, they are fun and fast. Did two weeks sailing in Sea of Cortez years ago. Numerous weeks at sea, diving in warm water, not sailing. Sail about 4 to 5 days a week in San Francisco Bay. Brrr. Went by passenger boat England to Australia with my family. Hit a big storm at the Cape of Good Hope.. will never forget the size of those waves. My first time crossing the equator, I was just a kid. I am an ocean girl thats for sure.

I am looking for the right boat and people. Do not want to be the only crew for a single guy. Sorry, not what Im looking for at all. Would like blue water experience. I am competent, quick learner, have a mechanical mind, did a combustion engine course for cars years ago. Helped when I owned a vintage toyota corolla. Not much use now in the age of computer chips. I can cook well, but not a galley slave. Looking more for a sailboat situation that will share duties, watch, galley, driving, etc and so on.

Im an avid scuba diver, only dive warm water... Nitrox, and advanced open water cert.. 400 dives to date. Did Palau, Yap, Thailand, Honduras, Cozumel, Australia, and 2 not pleasant dives in Monterey California.. Also travelled many other places, India, England, France, Singapore, Bali, plus tons of other places over the years.

Not sure what the right boat is, but it probably has a captain/male or female, with years of blue water experience. Someone who is laid back, not a screamer. An adventure seeker, like me. A couple would work well, with one or two others. Im open and not in a rush. Want to find the right spot for me. A well equipped boat, that is very sturdy. Well taken care of and in excellent maintenance. Maybe you like the occasional beer or a glass of wine, I do.

I dream of Papua New Guinea, Fiji, and other such places, but will settle for the Baja ha ha later this year 2009. Let me know your plans and send me a message. I look forward to hearing from you and meeting you. Bless your salty bones.
Old 12-05-2009, 23:49   #2
Ram

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cat in the med & Trawler in Florida
check out Crewfinders online thats a good place to run an ad
Old 13-05-2009, 07:18   #3
Eternal Member

Boat: Simpson, Catamaran, 46ft. IMAGINE
You sound like a great addition for crew. WELCOME, and BEST WISHES in finding the correct boat for your exploring......i2f
Old 13-05-2009, 07:59   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Now boatless :-(
Hi Notroxgirl and welcome to CF. You look like you have an impressive resume.

One thing that has me curious is how long you would like to be with a boat and what sort of financial arrangement you are looking for.

Once again welcome aboard.
Old 13-05-2009, 08:17   #5

Boat: Beneteau 32.5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ex-Calif View Post
Hi Notroxgirl and welcome to CF. You look like you have an impressive resume.

One thing that has me curious is how long you would like to be with a boat and what sort of financial arrangement you are looking for.

Once again welcome aboard.

I'll second that. I think many captain's are more likely to reply when they know specifically what financial situation you are looking for. I think it will also influence what places will work better for you to advertise on.

I've found crewfinders is much more driven by crew that are experienced, want to be part of a bigger boat and often desire pay or at least have their expenses covered. Floatplan.com tends to draw more people who are willing to contribute and at least cover their share of consumables.
Old 13-05-2009, 08:53   #6
Eternal Member

I have used crew twice. I make sure they eat as much as they like, and of the things they like. They get to, and from the boat, and purchase their own liquor. They give NOTHING in the way of supporting the boat financially. I do expect getting your hands dirty alongside me. Even if it's just handing me a tool. Keeping a good watch, help in cooking, and cleaning........i2f
Old 13-05-2009, 13:13   #7

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Knutson K-35 Yawl "Oh Joy" - Mariner 31 Ketch "Kahagon" - K-40 "Seasmoke" - 30' Sloop "Baccus"
Nitroxgirl, There's a C-42 leaving SF area for Seattle soon. See the crew section for contact info.
Old 13-05-2009, 20:25   #8

hi update to my post

Im not looking to be paid, I would pay my own food and beverages etc. I want to be part of a crew that is seeking adventure and fun, and sea life. For the right boat and people.. Im open to all possibilities.
Old 14-05-2009, 09:55   #9
Eternal Member

It will truly be an adventure sailing north along the Ca. Coast. That's the proposition for crew S.F to Seattle
Old 14-05-2009, 10:05   #10

thanks for the tip SF to Seattle, driving up hill, barf,, not my idea of fun right now. More interested in going down hill to warm waters.
Old 14-05-2009, 10:14   #11

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Knutson K-35 Yawl "Oh Joy" - Mariner 31 Ketch "Kahagon" - K-40 "Seasmoke" - 30' Sloop "Baccus"
Can't blame ya for that...♠
Old 14-05-2009, 10:36   #12

I recommend you walk the docks at any of the area yacht clubs before the Wed. night races and just ask if someone needs crew and that you are looking to learn. Wed. nights are great for teaching and people are a lot more relaxed. After a while, you will find a boat that is willing to take you on as regular crew. The skills you will learn from racing will help you no matter what type of cruising you do.
Old 14-05-2009, 10:39   #13
CF Adviser
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

I think she's looking for an opportunity to travel farther-afield, Abaco. As in, over the horizon to some distant exotic shore.

TaoJones
Old 14-05-2009, 10:41   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abaco View Post
I recommend you walk the docks at any of the area yacht clubs before the Wed. night races and just ask if someone needs crew and that you are looking to learn. Wed. nights are great for teaching and people are a lot more relaxed. After a while, you will find a boat that is willing to take you on as regular crew. The skills you will learn from racing will help you no matter what type of cruising you do.
Hi I have regular boats, I sail 5 days a week, I am a member of a sailing club. Teach the baby beginners... Not looking to walk the docks..... cheers though
Old 14-05-2009, 11:34   #15

I think you'd be a great addition for the right boat, crew and destination. So what you need to find is a boat which has extra room and could use some help (but probably doesn't need it) and of course heading off to warm waters with people you can click with.

This may be the tough part as once you are confined to a boat offshore for more than a few days you really really really get to know people , or learn things about them you wouldn't in most other casual encounters.

I've done a bunch of offshore passages, several deliveries and discovered that it's very hard to find people you click with on small boat in a big ocean.

So what do you do? I would suggest that you and the boat/crew do a trial passage and see how that feels. In my opinion you should know pretty much if it will work.

I do think it IS a wonderful think to have interesting company along to learn about their world, and share your own as you both discover some new experiences.

Of course when a couple sail off adding a third is quite the invasion of their privacy and not many couples will give that up. Perhaps an older couple who really can use some help. That might be interesting.

Good luck girl - let us know how it works out. It might make for an interesting read.