Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-05-2007, 14:18   #16
cruiser

My earlier comments were aimed at female crews.
Finding a crewing position is like real estate. What is importasnt is location, location ,location.
When I was in northern Tonga a few years ago , there were more people looking for crew than availalable crew. Being early june , most boats were heading thru the reef strewn approaches to Fiji and wanted extra eyes aboard to keep alert watches at night. It was roughly a 300 mile trip , so compatibility wouldn't likely be too starined. It would also get pwanting to crew in contact withthe cruising fleet and a bit of experience and references.
Brent
Old 10-05-2007, 14:32   #17

Boat: none
I thought about something like that but was a bit wary of buying a plane ticket and standing on the dock with a sign. It would be nice to have a sure thing. I am willing to fly some place to meet someone and see if we are compatable. I guess Tonga might not be a bad place to hang out for a bit anyway. I will try that after a few months of searching on the internet. So june is a good time?
Old 10-05-2007, 23:16   #18

I guess you could use her bikini as a back up jib.
Old 10-05-2007, 23:32   #19

Boat: Looking for a new boat
Make it go away. I vote to strike that last post. Please, please, please.
Old 10-05-2007, 23:38   #20

I started the thread and would not mind. I was just trying to play along. Sorry
Old 10-05-2007, 23:41   #21

Boat: Looking for a new boat
No man not your post, the one with the big fat lady with the bikini up her butt, Jesus, do I have to spell everything out?
Old 10-05-2007, 23:50   #22

"Do i have to spell everything out!"

NO!!!!! but it would be nice.

I just had plenty of bad things to say about the post but thought it was pointless. Figured i would play along.

I would love for this thread to go back to me getting on a boat.

If i offer a few hundred bucks and hard work would that get my chances up?

hard work is offered regardless
Old 12-05-2007, 08:32   #23

There are a few ok crew sites. Try Free sailing and cruising crewfinder (crew wanted) listing by Cruiser Log for yachts and sailing boats..

I presume you mean you want to crew on a passage.
Basically a lot prefer some bluewater experience. However you need to start so they want to know you have some sailing experience, preferably can sail. This might be with someone just locally who often can't go much because they need a hand, who may well be willing to give you some training. Low level club racing is a start, and gives some contacts, just ask at the yacht club.
Other racing can take a long time to learn much as you are more moveable ballast.
To start you fill a need for an extra pair of hands to keep watch, steer trim the sails and know the road rules and when to call the captain.
You dont need to know a sextant or do advanced courses at this stage. Though over time you may want to build your knowledge.
The more experience you have the better, but to start people often need some help and if you can do some basic things reliably, listen learn and follow instructions, and generally be of some use that's better than nothing.
Not getting seasick is a help.
Just be upfront about what you can do, and show some evidence that you are keen to learn ie have done something about it. A lot of people have never been on a boat yet want to realise their dream of an ocean passage. They have no chance because they would be a liability. However someone who can take over the boat while the skipper gets some sleep even on a limited basis has a chance particularly if the skippper knows he will be called if something arises, and that you will keep a lookout even if nothing is around for hours, ie you are responsible.
Old 12-05-2007, 14:41   #24
cruiser

crew

Yes Tonga in June is a great starting point.
What I'd be most concerned about with crew is are they going to be uncontrolably seasick. If you can read on a moving vehicle , that shouldn' t be a problem. Check it out before jumping on a boat . Trying to read in a moving vehicle is also a good way to check out seasick remedies.
Let the skipper know what rough water conditions your stomach has been tested against.
Brent
Old 12-05-2007, 16:49   #25

How about just driving to Florida and hanging around in the pubs? I can read in a car pretty well if thats what your saying.