Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-09-2010, 09:36   #16

Boat: Beneteau 32.5
Quote:
Originally Posted by grunzster View Post
I guess who pays who really comes down to:
  1. Experience of those involved
  2. Type of cruise (laid back vs. really pushing to get somewhere)
    AKA: working cruise vs. relaxing/cheap vacation cruise
  3. Cruising grounds

I think those are big factors including your ability to market what you have to offer. For me where I advertise is a huge issue as mentioned above.

When I advertise, I get more responses than I know what to do with, but I'm happy to take inexpereinced crew. They realize that compared to taking a sailing course for example, sharing expenses is a very cheap way to have a great sailing experience. More experienced crew often have more paid or or at at least free opporunities.

While many women may be reluctant to do the crew wanted thing, there are many who have no problem with it. If someone signs up for a commerical venture I offer, they know nothing about the leader(s) or other participants. In contrast a crew wanted situation allows them to spend a great deal of time talking on the phone and writing to feel out compatibility before making a commitment.

None of this matters however, if you don't post where potential crew will will find out about what you have to offer. CharlesFCook above, gives the most comprehensive list of crew sites I've ever seen. Invest in the time to explore them and find out which works for you.

Another thing I've found to be very helpful is to make a webpage. It takes some time to put together, but makes answering initial inquiries fast and I think shows you are serious about taking on crew.

Best of luck

- Dave
Old 24-09-2010, 09:57   #17

Another thing I was thinking about with this is that (at least for me) I'm more likely to hop on something that's a point-to-point delivery or passage. Sea time and experience are worth a lot to me so even if I had to pay my way back home from Hawaii (as an example), I'd be fine with that considering the passage experience which is really invaluable.
Old 24-09-2010, 10:32   #18
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41
i find when i am seeking crew the folks are looking for a sleek shiny yacht with all the amenities-- i plan a share the sail adventure for a few folks with unlimited time on their hands--my boat isnt shiny but she has amenities. so far i have found some crew online-- i went sailing with them already-- and i have found friends to come up from mazatlan to get my lil ship down to join them, but the only one to answer any ads came from latitude 38 crew list and before we could make arrangements, his sister called and said he was in prison--!!! yipes--- so is hard to find those unknown to you with a decent record-- if looking for just a record, one must be able to screen reaaallllly well.
Old 24-09-2010, 11:21   #19
Marine Service Provider

Wow! Sounds like you dodged a bullet zeehag.

Seriously, considering some of the horror stories, I've heard. I'm thinking maybe just single handing is the better option. Unless it was someone from one of the boards, who I've read plenty of posts from and talked to a bit first.
Old 24-09-2010, 12:03   #20

Boat: Jeanneau 40.3 Sun Odyssey - Devante's Dream
Chris,

Yes, the stars do need to align sometimes for getting crew, but it can be done.

You might want to think about going through the various yacht clubs, sailing and racing clubs. Most likely these would be in the departure point or the destination, making it easier for people to either get on or get off.

Ask the commodore or club manager to send your (nicely and clearly worded) email out to the members. You'll be amazed at the response.

Also, the time of year has a lot to do with folks availability. Vacation weeks are easier to get folks as is the summer...

Eric

s/v Devante's Dream
laying Marblehead AM, next destination Bermuda with two volunteer crew...
Old 24-09-2010, 14:31   #21

use caution in finding folks from the boads, also--i used another forum-- a very cliquish one, to find my first gig-- was a disaster, as the skipper decided when i didnt have enough money to suit him , i should go immediately. just because i was in the middle of nowhere didnt mean squat to that person. so make sure you screen well even using forums.. the second soul i went sailing with i get along well with--we made goood team. i hope i am as fortunate in the future in seeking crew as i was with finding him. i hope he decides to hang with me a bit more...
Old 24-09-2010, 15:27   #22

Boat: boatless
Send a message via Skype™ to r2frame
By pure luck I landed a crew who was looking for offshore experience and was collecting unemployment, but with little or no opportunity to land a job.

My experience is that for every 500 "sailors" who are "dying to go" maybe one or two will actually show up....for part of a trip.

Unless someone does not need to work, does not have or want a job, or can not get a job....and do not have a social commitment...the likelihood of them going on anything longer than a daysail is minimal. The secondary issue is that anyone who fits the criteria above has to be looked at closely. But there are some great people out there. With the interent search engines clogged with the crew as a business sites it seems there is no one place to look....and craigslist is really scary. I've seen hundreds of crew sites, almost every sail publication has one and many yacht/sailing clubs as well. It may sound tacky but I had great luck using singlesnet.com. Seems it's wise to post where the most people might go looking
Old 24-09-2010, 16:02   #23
Marine Service Provider

Eric - I'm sure this time of year also has a lot to do with everyone looking for crew at the same time as they all head South.

At this point, it looks like worst case, I'll be alone just from Cape May to Annapolis.

Another story of encouragement, zeehag. Glad I'm not looking to crew for someone else.

r2frame - Are you sure it's just crew you're looking for on that site? Hmm...on second thought.
Old 24-09-2010, 16:09   #24

my GOOD luck in finding crew/skipper was on seaknots and sailboatowners--- one fella frequents both and was reading when i got set adrift, as it were, and we started our friendship at that point.. there are good folks out there--i look at the singles sections of these forums--that works-- crew sections, maybe--i will sometimes post an ad for brave men needed..LOL... gets attention... havent gotten any answers of intent at this point---plenty offish has a way of screening folks before ye even have to hear from htem--click onthe interests they post and if the sailing is the kind you do , ask ... havent found any real potential there or on singles dating sites---
Old 24-09-2010, 16:54   #25
Marine Service Provider

Yeah, I may have found a boat warmer or two on a few of the dating sites, but can't imagine actually finding someone to crew there...let alone even a long term boat warmer.
Old 24-09-2010, 18:28   #26

i do personally know of some who met on match.coma nd went to so pacific just recently--they were my neighbors and are again--young teachers who met on match .com and are soulmates ...lol... were featured in lectronic lat 38 on their trip . another met and moved way. dont know anyne else met on dating sites and stayed together, aqlthough my last sail mate was also on pof..LOL....yes we were matched up after we met.

sailors are very imaginative, i was advised as i grew up and was taught to sail by a true sailor-on a true sailboat--- 1903 gaff rigged sloop....is reinforced every time i sail with other people, as well.
Old 25-09-2010, 07:37   #27
Marine Service Provider

Ohhh...so you're saying I should be looking for an admiral or at least short term first mate instead of crew?
Old 25-09-2010, 10:47   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by grunzster View Post
Ohhh...so you're saying I should be looking for an admiral or at least short term first mate instead of crew?
not necessarily as those mighta used to be crew, and earned their position--gotta earn position--either before departure or after....gotta look under ALL the rocks--sailors and sailorettes are shy.....
Old 30-09-2010, 19:23   #29

crew still wanted?

Are you still looking for crew from NC to FL? or part of the trip? Do you have a sail plan with dates for the trip? What year is your Gemini? We rented a Gemini in 2003 in Annapolis. We live in NC now.
Old 01-10-2010, 09:47   #30
Marine Service Provider

Looks like I'll most likely have at least one person. Worst case may be alone for the last few days. I'll keep you posted.

I have a 99 105M.