Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Cruising Business & Commerce > Crew Positions: Wanted & Available > Crew Archives
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-10-2012, 12:52   #1

Will Need Crew (2) Seattle To La Paz And/Or Cabo San Lucas

Still in the planning stages..however will happen sooner than you know it...i sail at least 3 month's a year. Im norwegian, 44, grew up on boat's...owned my first boat at 8. Worked in the bering sea. Norway, the 1st joint venture after the fall of communism between usa, norway and russia in '93...i've sailed all over the world and for the last 13 year's i've sailed predominately in the puget sound/san juan islands/gulf islands canada. 3 month's straight every summer. Boat is setup hello looking for info re; la paz , or cabo san lucas, mexico.....my plan is to leave as soon as possible on my sailboat and to head down there and retire...what can anyone tellme about the area?? I did read a post where there was a member that just left to come home from la paz in april....if i could swing it i may buy a $50.k home and do liveaboard....or ????? How's the safety aspect and is it a place where people such as myself, who are used to being in a country that has basic things like internet, gas available. And food and milk around the corner at 711....just wanna know if these things are available in la paz and/or cabo san lucas? Thank you. Last note: do you think there is any time of year that may propose a problem with weather on any certain time of year 'not to leave.' as
Old 03-10-2012, 14:35   #2

re: Will Need Crew (2) Seattle To La Paz And/Or Cabo San Lucas

I have been living in Mexico (Cozumel) for almost 12 years and I would put it very high on the list of places to retire. I have a biz but there are many that are fully retired. Property values are still reasonable and the lifestyle is great! Safety in my experience is not a concern. I would rank 90% of Mexico safer than most every City in the US. Mexico is not a backwards 3rd world place it once was. Wifi, cable, cell service is everywhere. life here is still very inexpensive and easy. Cabo is a very touristy town. As is where I live. LA paz is less so and the prices are much cheaper there too. Speaking Spanish will be a huge help if you plan to make a life here although many get by without it. I would be interested in crewing for you and could help you acclimate a little too once in Mexico.
Old 03-10-2012, 21:25   #3

Send a message via Skype™ to Haydon
Hi there. I am a Yacht Master Power and Sail and I would be interested in crewing for you.

If you still need crew could you let me know when you will be leaving and the financial arrangements?

Regards, Haydon
Old 04-10-2012, 14:35   #4

Re: Will Need Crew (2) Seattle To La Paz And/Or Cabo San Lucas

guys. thank you. i really appreciate it. i am busy w/my home/sale then i find out wether this pre-set payment is going to actually go through in the middle of october...if so...it's done...im gone...it will take a few months im sure. however...as you know..that will fly by in just a blink of an eye...so please. keep in touch. if you can feel free to send me personal emails to keep me up to date if your still interested...i should know `100% whats happening within 2 wks. thx again.
Stephen Kenneth Ronning
Old 04-10-2012, 14:37   #5

haydon...what do you mean by financial arrangements? thx and thank you for the email. keep in touch.
Old 04-10-2012, 14:44   #6

is there a way for us to communicate 1 on 1? Im new to this group and don't know the ettiquette or if giving you a message puts it out to the whole group and then i wind up with SPAM type mail coming in..but i'd like to talk with you a little more ...also is cozumel near la paz ? i know a dentist friend of mine that retired in la paz and is happy..however i would consider cozumel or any other location near la paz....or maybe even a warmer climate if it's safe and is good for my kids .....
Old 17-03-2013, 19:10   #7

Are you sailing with CohoHoHo from Seattle than continue with BAHAhaha?
Old 17-03-2013, 22:34   #8

The website software lost my post. I will try again, but this one will be shorter.

Cabo is all about living in the resorts and showing off your glitzy motorboat. La Paz is more of a down-home anchorage. Both are hellishly hot during most of the year.

Almost everything sold in both cities must be either trucked down the peninsula, or shipped across the gulf. There is not much farming or industry, just sun and rock. Yes, they do have their Oxxos and WalMarts.

I like La Paz during the winter months, and I really, really like the San Juans during the summer months. I've sailed both (see my profile), and suggest that we make a circuit between the two during the months in-between, maybe taking in Hawaii too!
Old 20-03-2013, 11:48   #9

Hola. I live in Lake Tahoe Ca. But I have a house in Cabo San Lucas. It's nice and warm there, great place. They have everything you need. Weather? Aug., Sept. and Oct. is rainy season (possible hurricane). Let me know when you might be heading South. Maybe I can crew. Tim Mehan (530) 318-0884
Old 20-03-2013, 22:48   #10

Boat: Westsail 42

I thought I sent you an email message and haven't heard back. I have sailed up and down the Sea of Cortez a couple of times and spent time in both Cabo and La Paz. I'd love to head down there again.
Fair Winds,
Stephen
Old 21-03-2013, 14:51   #11

Boat: 19' Lightning

Quote:
Originally Posted by elskede View Post
Still in the planning stages..however will happen sooner than you know it...i sail at least 3 month's a year. Im norwegian, 44, grew up on boat's...owned my first boat at 8. Worked in the bering sea. Norway, the 1st joint venture after the fall of communism between usa, norway and russia in '93...i've sailed all over the world and for the last 13 year's i've sailed predominately in the puget sound/san juan islands/gulf islands canada. 3 month's straight every summer. Boat is setup hello looking for info re; la paz , or cabo san lucas, mexico.....my plan is to leave as soon as possible on my sailboat and to head down there and retire...what can anyone tellme about the area?? I did read a post where there was a member that just left to come home from la paz in april....if i could swing it i may buy a $50.k home and do liveaboard....or ????? How's the safety aspect and is it a place where people such as myself, who are used to being in a country that has basic things like internet, gas available. And food and milk around the corner at 711....just wanna know if these things are available in la paz and/or cabo san lucas? Thank you. Last note: do you think there is any time of year that may propose a problem with weather on any certain time of year 'not to leave.' as
Cabo is very safe and caters to yachties. The marina is right downtown and services are good and readily available. There's a small boatyard at the head of the marina that works what appeared to be a 50 ton travelift. I believe that are boat wrights to help with the work. I think you can work on your own boat, but I'm not positive. It's hot there right now about 85F, and there isn't much wind in town. There's lots of fish charter boats that work out of Cabo, so you can expect that there are services for electronics etc. I'm off to Cabo April 12, looking forward to it. Good luck with your experience.
Old 21-03-2013, 15:02   #12
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

cabo costs more money than gods. if you are stinky rich , you might be able to afford a night in a slip in cabo each month. yes they charge money nightly to anchor your boat.
la paz is not so pricey and i have not been there.
i would not go to cabo ever again. no thankyou.
Old 21-03-2013, 16:40   #13

Sound like you have a fun trip planned. I would love to keep in touch with you while you plan your trip and be considered for a crew position. My boyfriend & I have crewed before in the Caribbean and found it wonderful as we continue on our future dream on sailing around the world in a few years. Please do keep us updated at raknight2015@yahoo.com
Old 22-03-2013, 09:14   #14

I think we got tricked into an old thread. The OP is probably back in Norway by now.

Old 28-03-2013, 12:02   #15

Boat: MACGREGOR 26M

NOPE. LIKE I SAID TIME WILL FLY BY!!! WHO'S IN!!!????????????????????????????????????????????? ????????????????????????//
I JUST GOT MY BOAT SHIPPED UP TO SEATTLE FROM THE FACTORY IN COASTA MESA!!!!!
FIRST TIME EVER THAT I BOUGHT BRAND NEW!!
I GOT A POCKET ROCKET!!!!!she's brand new. here in seattle.
i've done 4 'shakedown' cruises for about 8 day's worth of sailing.....i rigged her myself. i bought her basically stock.
added battery switch and 2 bank system with shore power.
i put in my own 3 battery.
gen set.
45watt solar setup.
genoa.
roller furler.
had my motor installed here in seattle by the local dealership.... BUT I SAVED A TON BY BUYING STRAIGHT FROM THE FACTORY...
I EVEN INSTALLED MY OWN STOVE AND HEAD!!!
HERE THE 'STOCK' MODEL COSTS $48 AND UP FROM THERE..
I GOT MINE FOR $24.8K INCLUDING TRAILER...
macgregor26.com
NOW DONT FREAK OUT UNLESS YOU'VE SAILED THE macgregor26 M model....best sailing boat i've ever sailed!!!
and i've owned em all.
cal 34 newport 30
benetau 35
cal 2 25
everything...
I SURV ON MY BOAT WITH THE SAILS TRIMMED RIGHT AT 14 KNOTS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!11
AND SHE HAS A TRAILER!!! I GET TO DO A FREE HAULOUT EVERY WEEK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1
macgregor26.com
so im still HEADING SOUTH. THEN TO PUERTO RICO................. I CAN DRIVE...................THEN DECIDE MY LAUNCH L0CAL. ILL PROBABLY SAIL DOWN THE C0AST. HAVE TRAILER DRIVEN TO MEET ME BY USHIP....THEN LIVE ON BOAT ON TRAILER AS I DRIVE TO TEXAS AND LAUNCH HER AGAIN....
A REALLY COOL TRIP!!!! THEN SAIL T!~O FLORIDA, THROUGHT THE KEYS\ AND WINED UP IN PUERTO RICO WITH HER:flow ers:

Tags
crew, seattle