Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Manufacturers Forums > Lagoon Catamarans
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-03-2018, 17:48   #1

Boat: Lagoon 450S
57hp Yanmar water pump seepage

my engines are 20 months since in the water, 500 hours. Both water pumps have signs of seepage. was wondering if any one else has had this issue?Click image for larger version

Name:	20180322_083033.jpg
Views:	196
Size:	33.5 KB
ID:	167017Click image for larger version

Name:	20180320_073308.jpg
Views:	228
Size:	100.3 KB
ID:	167018
Krabimike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-03-2018, 18:53   #2

Boat: FP Belize, 43' - Dot Dun
Re: 57hp Yanmar water pump seepage

Like I told you in the other thread you started, the lip seal is bad, change it. It cost ~$5.

it's not the end of the world.....
DotDun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-03-2018, 22:26   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by DotDun View Post
Like I told you in the other thread you started, the lip seal is bad, change it. It cost ~$5.

it's not the end of the world.....
Thanks, yes I will have both changed as they are a warranty item. However my Yanmar dealer whom always gives me help to do things myself, has told me that it has to be done at a shop. cost of the seal in Phuket is 18.00 cost of the seal in the Seychelles is 15.00.
However my reason for the post, is it seems wrong that both engines are showing signs of seepage at under 500 hours, 18 months. I was just wondering if others have had this issue. If they were successful in trying to change themselves.
Old 24-03-2018, 23:45   #4

Boat: Beneteau 423 43 feet

These pumps are easy to work on.......... do you have spare impellers and gaskets? Open them and check them out. Good luck!
NYSail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-03-2018, 00:03   #5

Boat: Jeanneau 40 DS SoulMates

We are going through an inframe engine overhaul on a 4jh3e with 5,700 hrs - neither pump leaked but the fresh water pump had some future potential so we replaced it, had it rebuilt and now carry it as a spare. we also carry a spare salt water pump
chuckr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-03-2018, 00:07   #6
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krabimike View Post
Thanks, yes I will have both changed as they are a warranty item. However my Yanmar dealer whom always gives me help to do things myself, has told me that it has to be done at a shop. cost of the seal in Phuket is 18.00 cost of the seal in the Seychelles is 15.00.
However my reason for the post, is it seems wrong that both engines are showing signs of seepage at under 500 hours, 18 months. I was just wondering if others have had this issue. If they were successful in trying to change themselves.
I have had this "problem" at 200 hours (but not at 18 months). I don't consider it to be a problem at all; IMO, it is simple maintenance item. As others have posted, the lip seal in the water pump has started to weep. This is most often caused by abrasives in the raw water cooling - in other words, some silt / mud / shell particles or whatever else that may be sucked up by the raw water pump and small enough to pass through the strainer.

Get on to it early otherwise the now weeping water will become leaking water (rather than weeping) and wear the shaft.

Simple job to do yourself if you have any mechanical aptitude; a small hammer, a drift or two, a block of wood, screwdrivers etc. A vice is nice but not essential. Can be done in the cockpit of a small boat .

No biggie

EDIT: Being able to pull down and service a simple impeller water pump is a very good skill to have as seafarer; here is your opportunity
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 25-03-2018, 16:50   #7

Boat: Chris Craft 38 Commander 1965

There seems to be a big misunderstanding by many relatively new to boating owners that boats are just cars that move along on the water. Both have internal combustion engines and run on similar fuel.
That being said the similariltes stop there. No car short of a full racing vehicle is put through the wear and tear and stress that acboat is out through.
Parts and component longevity is measured in months not years mostly.
People are used to just getting in the car and turning on the key and never have to do much ecpxcrpt change the oil every few thousand miles.
Whether it be a power boat or sail all manner of parts require daily, or periodic evaluation. There is no roadside assistance once you get a few miles offshore.
I think every boat owner should see a recommended maintenance checklist for the type boat they are interested in. It might scare or at least sober up some of the people who just aren’t willing to do the actual work it takes to keep one of these things going.
Squanderbucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-03-2018, 23:31   #8

@Krabimike, FWIW I picked up a lip seal and two bearings from the local bearing shop today and they cost $3 for the seal and $6 each for the bearings. All for a Yanmar RW pump.

BTW, Aussie dollars.
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Old 29-03-2018, 23:29   #9

thanks for the replies and the advice.. I am on it.. cheers!
Old 30-03-2018, 11:59   #10

I read some where these lip seals should have a stainless spring.
Bean Counter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-03-2018, 14:18   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bean Counter View Post
I read some where these lip seals should have a stainless spring.
That is correct; when the lip seal is used in water applications.

More usually lip seals have a carbon steel spring (with is suitable when used as an oil seal). However oil seals can easily converted for use with water by popping off the spring and replacing it with a suitable sized O ring.

Tags
water, yanmar