Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Manufacturers Forums > Lagoon Catamarans
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-09-2013, 10:51   #1

A few questions about 380 & 440

Before I buy a used 380 (or 440 see below!) please could someone answer a few questions......
1. How much should I budget for maint on a good condition 2008 308/308 S2
2. How much does it cost to motor per nautical mile at Uk diesel prices
3. I dont think I could stretch to a 440 and anyway I cant see the flybridge being sensible in rough weather? Would you agree?

All replies welcome - treat me gently!
neill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 07:49   #2
Eternal Member

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Lagoon 400
Re: A few questions about 380 & 440

1. 2008 is 5-6 yrs old. Depends on the current level of maintenance. Maybe due for a lot of new lines/rigging/sails/hardware/engines etc etc. It really depends on the amount of use it has seen and if things have been replaced already. The sea is a harsh environment and things wear out pretty fast. I can say that a new boat won't require much maintenance other than engine servicing (1000 eu/year) antifoul (1000 eu/year) The older the boat, the higher the maintenance costs and the higher the cost of updating to new, i.e. current electronics.
2. motoring on one engine at 5.5 knots uses 2 litres of diesel
3. 440 and 450 owners love the flybridge, I havn't met one that has complained about it
monte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 22:47   #3

Hey. In answer to point 3. The fly bridge is the best place on the boat. Parking the boat I have uninterrupted views, no need to guess how far I am from the jetty because I can see it. Picking up mooring buoys? I can see them right up to about 1 m from the bow at this point my other half calls it in. I can see my anchor chain go out and come up thereby enabling me to skipper single handed or at least anchor without assistance on the foredeck. In a following sea or any sea for that matter it's the smoothest position on the boat. I thought being up so high would make it a bit pitchy but its fine. At anchor it's the star light bar or man cave.... Perfect with a cold beer and a billion stars. It's another place for people,to sit on the boat.... Never an issue with too many friends jumping on for a day trip. It's easy access for the boom, it makes a great position to pick the perfect sandy spot to drop the pick, even my other half can't see the spots that I can see. The only draw back is it is a little exposed in rain, having said that if it gets above 40 knots and we are at anchor eta we can steer from down stairs anyway.

In a nut shell mate, stretch yourself into a 440. You won't regret it for a moment. The first to,e yo plonk yourself up,on the fly deck and crack a cold beer you will thank yourself for dong so.

P.s. by having a fly deck all deck hardware, lines etc are away from your children family or guests making it a very uncluttered boat and no chance of accidental releases.

Do it!
YOLLATA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 22:49   #4

Oh yeah and the area between the seating and the main track is a great place for solar panels or for a mattress for sun bathing....I'll stop now.
YOLLATA is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
paracelle