Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Manufacturers Forums > Lagoon Catamarans
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-12-2021, 13:46   #31
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Elan 45 impression
Re: Advice for purchasing used Lagoon

look this, so nice line

this seawind is so ugly.

more is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2021, 14:26   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by motion30 View Post
Your statement may be true but, is it worth the risk considering that thete are many other brands available that have no structural issues. ?
That makes as much sense as saying "is it worth the risk to buy a Toyota when there are many other brands available to that don't have gas pedal issues?" Lagoon makes more cats than any other company, if you exclude Fountaine Pajot probably more cats than the rest of the companies in the world combined. Some, like Lagoon 380s, have more than 1,000 built in a design that has been sailing for 20 years. If you're really honestly concerned about risk and understand what makes up risk, then the risk from issues with an Outremer or Gunboat or HH whose total lifetime production of all models is a fraction of just that one model is exponentially higher, there's not even enough of a sample size to make a determination on them. On the other hand, if you buy a Lagoon 380 you can quantify your risk very well and know exactly what you're getting from a risk perspective.
redneckrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2021, 17:00   #33

Boat: 2019 Seawind 1160 Lite

Quote:
Originally Posted by more View Post
look this, so nice line

this seawind is so ugly.

Your opinion. Not shared. And I see quite well.
sailjumanji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2021, 18:42   #34

Yeah I can't decide if that guy is an obnoxious idiot or just a deliberate troll.
To me the one he thinks is beautiful looks like it was designed as a blunt tool by a kid armed with only a ruler... everyone has their own subjective opinion and aggressively restating it doesn't make it correct.
NevilleCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2021, 18:50   #35

Boat: 2019 Seawind 1160 Lite

Quote:
Originally Posted by NevilleCat View Post
Yeah I can't decide if that guy is an obnoxious idiot or just a deliberate troll.
To me the one he thinks is beautiful looks like it was designed as a blunt tool by a kid armed with only a ruler... everyone has their own subjective opinion and aggressively restating it doesn't make it correct.
Agree. On all points.
sailjumanji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-12-2021, 06:49   #36

The following article appears in the December issue of Yachting Monthly. Lagoon 450 owners are being advised to seek an inspection paid for by Lagoon

https://www.yachtingmonthly.com/news...spection-82196
chrisdes2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-12-2021, 06:53   #37

Boat: Leopard 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by more View Post

Are you blind . Look this boat from side. like some child make line for this boat.
I could not agree more!
aqfishing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-12-2021, 06:56   #38

But I will add, the world would be boring if we all liked the same thing!
Old 17-12-2021, 07:21   #39
Marine Service Provider

Boat: 2016 Lagoon 450F 45'

Quote:
Originally Posted by davhud View Post
Hi group. My wife and I are considering the purchase of a 2015 or newer Lagoon 40-50'. We've started looking at several and would love some tips from the group with regards to key things we should be looking for when evaluating the Lagoons. Anything from trim, fit, wear, mechanical, electrical, etc.

Many thanks!

The Hudson's
Houston, TX
I own a Lagoon 450 in Kemah. Come for a private charter, showing or sailing lesson!. There’s is a collection of Lagoons here, 380, 400, 440, 450, 52 as well as Leopards and Fountaine Pajot. 409-682-7745
Houston450 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-12-2021, 07:39   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by rabbi View Post
Oh, you know all the Lagoons out there?

That statement is plain wrong. It may be true that ALL Lagoon 450 have or will have this particular issue but Lagoon has many models and many model years.

I can assure you that some Lagoons have their bulkheads fully tabbed in place, with glue used for furniture. Others have mostly glued bulkheads.
Sorry to disappoint you: most Lagoons have glued bulkheads. And more important: the glued or tabbed makes no major difference, since the bulkheads are torn apart, so their strength is insufficient. I would never consider any lagoon, new or secondhand… putting so much money in a very risky investment does not sound right to me
Sailing Hanse37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-12-2021, 09:19   #41

Quote:
Hi group. My wife and I are considering the purchase of a 2015 or newer Lagoon 40-50'. We've started looking at several and would love some tips from the group with regards to key things we should be looking for when evaluating the Lagoons. Anything from trim, fit, wear, mechanical, electrical, etc.

Many thanks!

The Hudson's
Houston, TX
Exciting times!
Ever since I can remember a lagoon was my dream yacht, I just loved the lines and the upright little widows.

I think the best advise you can take from here is to maybe not narrow your search to just one brand. I would suggest you could start with your budget and look at all cats in that budget that you could like. Then maybe narrow it down to size and layout and take it from there. Make a list of what’s important to you and go from there. It is a big investment and you should not go into it with blinkers on. Someone suggested doing charters on different cats, great advice!

I can highly recommend the Leopards. We on our second one and I can only say good things. After all they are built to withstand the charter market and be cheap to maintain.

Either way it is super exciting! Good luck to you!
Old 17-12-2021, 09:22   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by NevilleCat View Post
Yes, but at least that kid has taste!

Old 17-12-2021, 15:22   #43

Boat: Adams 13, 13.5m

Having just read the Yachting Monthly account of the Lagoon 45 free bulkhead check as per the link above, I strongly advise the prospective owner of any lagoon to get hold of the user manual and think about what the use restrictions imply about their construction. Perhaps review with an offshore multihull designer, depedepending your cruising plans.
Yes we've met lots of cruising Lagoons on our recent circumnavigation.
Yes the marina staff at one marina in Fiji said they loved them, by the time they arrived in Fiji they needed more repairs than any other make...
barryglewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-12-2021, 17:19   #44

Boat: Knysna 440 once I get my new dock and the canal gets dredged

Quote:

Many thanks!

The Hudson's
Houston, TX
Late to the party as usual but if you ever plan on bringing the boat back to Galveston Bay area, draft is extremely important. Anything over three feet could be problematic for you. The post Irongarage made was extremely relevant. What Colin went through to fix that boat was a total nightmare.
joelhemington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-12-2021, 03:24   #45

Boat: 34' Crowther tri sold 16' Kayak now
L450

Lagoon wants quite a few details on the boat like:
current and past passage plans of the boat; current and past mooring locations; usage history of the vessel (private, professional or charter); any sales history of the vessel;

If you can't provide that does that mean you are stuck with the cost? How many people know where the PO sailed or moored the boat?

Tags
Advice, lagoon, purchasing