Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-01-2017, 03:29   #16

Boat: Freedom 38
Re: AIR CONDITIONING

Good point. We ordered the soft start version of the a/c from Dometic. Interestingly, boatyard has recommended I install a 30 amp breaker for the a/c even though the running power draw in the literature is listed as 10 amps.
Sailmon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-2017, 04:48   #17

Boat: ‘01 Catana 401

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailmon View Post
Good point. We ordered the soft start version of the a/c from Dometic. Interestingly, boatyard has recommended I install a 30 amp breaker for the a/c even though the running power draw in the literature is listed as 10 amps.

A 16k AC unit needs a 30 amp breaker and 10awg wire for the startup current. Inrush is momentarily near Locked Rotor Amps of roughly 65.
Sailmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-2017, 05:19   #18

Boat: Jeanneau 349 2015
AIR CONDITIONING

complete installation of AC system on my Jeanneau 349...
• Dometic turbo 16000 btu selc contained unit w/smart start, 115v.
• Duct work to main salon, forward state room. Head and quarterberth
Water pump, hoses and sea cocks
• Controls and wiring

$8k total

Anticipate that we can use a Honda generator to run the system at anchor as the Dometic Smart Start evens out initial load. Saves big bucks over a NextGen 3.5, not to mention the preserved interior space not used.
RKsailsolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-2017, 05:51   #19
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Cheoy Lee, 44 Cutter. Dolce Far Niente

Jeff, the airconditioning and refrigeration situation in St Maarten/St Martin has changed in the last couple of years. There used to be 2 or 3 competent companies that did work here out of the 7 available. I have used them all.Then the guys at Permafrost started buying up all the small companies in an effort to take over the whole market, unfortunately the guys at permafrost have no idea what they are doing. I tried them once to recharge a refrigeration system after changing an evaporator and really these two clowns do not have a clue. And they tried to charge me $700 for 1.5 hours labor and I did most of the work myself. The small operators have all been bought up by Permafrost now as they seem to have an endless supply of money.
After a lot of searching I found the last good A/C guy on the island, he is reasonably priced and really knows what he is doing. His name is Dave Dowling and his # is 721-526-8171. He also sells a/c units and does warranty work for some companies.
For a job your size you need someone who understands system requirements and design. ie placement of units, length of runs for hoses etc. Call Dave.
If you run across an old guy on the French side named Ed run the other way he has set a few boat on fire down here. Literally. If you need any more help let me know, I am very dialed in on island with the marine contractors.
I would not take any recommendations from anyone on this site unless they have personally used the people and are located in St Maarten.
rourkeh is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
air conditioning