Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Manufacturers Forums > Lagoon Catamarans
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-07-2019, 16:35   #1

Boat: L42
Anyone actually living on a Lagoon 42?

I am curious to hear if anyone is actually currently living on their 42 full time? I know there are a lot of owners who PLAN to, but is anyone able to give some feedback on actually doing it now?
I am VERY close to retirement and looking to purchase soon. I have really narrowed it down to a lightly used 42 or a used 450.

I MUCH prefer the S over the F on the 450 so price becomes a factor.

I just haven't been able to learn much from anyone with true long term live aboard experience. Nothing can compare to TRUE actual experience. A few weeks is NOT the same as months or years.

I actually prefer the 42 but am concerned about actual storage and capacity when I start thinking about a washer and a dive compressor, etc...

Anyway, it would be good to hear from someone with actual real world experience.

Thanks
Steve_C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-2019, 18:17   #2

Boat: Seafarer36c
re: Anyone actually living on a Lagoon 42?

People live full time on a 32' mono. I would be more interested in how well it is at sea. Some Cat's kinda suck. If I could get a Catana 42, I could live on it.
model 10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-07-2019, 15:42   #3

Boat: Lagoon L42

We have an L42 but haven't spent long periods yet or moved aboard (retiring Spring 2020). Much has been said about the limited storage in the cockpit and the galley to a lesser degree but we really like the boat so far. We have the washer option from the factory and it occupies a cabinet in the owners cabin. Lots of interior storage but I have also but thinking about where to put the Bauer Jr before we head South.
As for a Catana 42.....after spending two-weeks aboard one in Tahiti I would never want or buy one. Hit my head so many times moving around that cockpit/saloon, exposed helms, didn't like the winch placement, closet heads, etc. no way!! It did sail great on the run up to Bora Bora but most of our time was and will be at anchor.
I know this response didn't answer the OP's question but we definitely can see how living aboard this boat will work for us.

Chuck
RoadRacer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-07-2019, 15:51   #4

Thanks RoadRacer,

I definitely am sold on the 42 overall. I am just concerned about long-term room. Once I commit and make my upgrades I will be literally living with it long term.

Just would like to hear from someone who is actually doing it. So far it doesn't look like too many?

Thanks again.
Old 24-07-2019, 16:09   #5

Boat: Seafarer36c

[QUOTE=RoadRacer;
As for a Catana 42.....after spending two-weeks aboard one in Tahiti I would never want or buy one. Hit my head so many times moving around that cockpit/saloon, exposed helms, didn't like the winch placement, closet heads, etc. no way!! It did sail great on the run up to Bora Bora but most of our time was and will be at anchor.

I only see them in boat yards and they look pretty cool. I will never own another boat so it was only a fantasy, you burst my bubble.
model 10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-07-2019, 21:26   #6

Boat: Lagoon 400
Anyone actually living on a 42?

I suggest chartering a Catana 42. I really like the boat so decided to charter one. Had the same experience as the previous poster. Very well built. Fun to sail. A great weekend boat. Just not comfortable as a live aboard. The charter base manager made a similar comment.

A Catana 47 would be a different story.
pathlesschosen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-07-2019, 23:33   #7

Are you questioning if it's possible or if there are quirks.

It's certainly possible. We've met a few couples doing it (while living very comfortably on our 34' Gemini Catamaran which is drastically smaller). Even a 50' boat will tend to feel small vs even a 1 bedroom apartment.

Every boat has quirks. That I can't help with.
valhalla360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-2019, 04:48   #8

So I guess I should have included the word Lagoon in the title! It is posted in the Lagoon section.

I am not considering or asking about anything other than the Lagoon 42

I know it is possible, I know how it sails, but I want to hear from someone LIVING on one BEFORE I choose it over a LAGOON 450S

Thanks
Old 25-07-2019, 06:08   #9

Boat: Lagoon 42
Anyone actually living on a 42?

My wife and I currently live full-time on a lagoon 42. While storage is a challenge on any boat, we get by really well on this boat. My wife is really good at finding space saving items that makes storage much better here. It’s not like a house, you can’t have lots of stuff. But we love living on our boat! It’s easy to sail with just the two of us, and easy to anchor. Day-to-day use works very well. Every boat could use more storage, but we have everything we need aboard. We have the washing machine, Water Maker, generator and the boat feels very much like home.

Definitely, the owners version is necessary for live aboard couple. I would love to have the cabinets instead of the bench seat in our
owners version, but we do use the seat on occasion.

We often cruise with people in a 450. They have only a little more interior space, but it’s not nearly as easy to sail and a lot more money. Same motors, SD 60, with more exterior room on the 450.

The big issues will be the water tanks. We only have one water tank of 80 gallons. Your water maker needs to be very reliable. You also need a head sail, code 0 sail. The self tacking jib is very nice, but not good in light winds.
Kentm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-2019, 06:14   #10

Thanks [emoji16]

That is exactly the kind of feedback I want to hear. I know all boats are a comprise, but I want a really good understanding of what I will be facing before such a major purchase. ESPECIALLY considering the fact that I want to make a lot of upgrades after purchasing.

Thanks again, and fair winds!

PS, how wide is your traveler?
Old 25-07-2019, 06:19   #11

The traveler goes across the full rear Bimini. I’d guess about 15 feet.

Everyone out here likes their boat. I think it’s most important to understand the boat you buy, and know that you will like whichever boat in the end. You just make it work!
Old 25-07-2019, 06:19   #12

Boat: 2019 Lagoon 42

Hi Steve,

We had lived on our L42 for 9 months until recently hauling it out for hurricane season. What you are looking to do is easily accomplished and comfortable on a L42.

A little context on our vessel:
Owners Version with built in washer/dryer
4 x 330w solar panels
105L AC/DC water maker
TV in salon with US antenna (Though we've only been able to test/use the antenna in USVI)
J Sink 4-person hookah

Let's start with our storage config:
Stbd bow locker = Spare parts, halyards, tools, filters, misc. 50% full, nothing occupying bilge compartment.
Port bow locker = Code 0, net cushions, SUP bags, ball fenders. 40% full, nothing occupying bilge compartment.
Genset Locker = Only genset in here, some spare room, but we don't use it.
Anchor locker = 85 meters of chain, 15 meters of nylon rode, 6 docking/mooring lines, 6 tube fenders. Not much room for anything else in there... maybe a couple more ropes.
Stbd engine compartment = Not used for storage, but plenty of room if desired
Port engine compartment = Not used for storage, some room, water maker located here so I would be hesitant to put too much other 'crap' in here.
Underseat storage in cockpit = Spare Delta anchor (plan to change this as it doesn't break down and a pain to get in/out), hookah lines, weight belts, random tools, spare ropes, etc. Mostly full, but this is a great storage place.
Salon = Food in almost all cabinets, food in permanent stool, food/booze under L shaped couch sans the most port side area, this holds our ditch bag, spare fire extinguisher, other survival gear.
Owners cabin = clothes in both closets and under bed. Random storage in whole row of cabinets along stbd side of owners cabin.
Owners bathroom = boat cleaning and personal products. bountiful space in here.
Forward Port Guest cabin = we use this as extra provisioning storage and random stuff. We don't plan on ever having more than one other couple on the boat at a time so this is bonus room for us. I store the hookah here when it's not assembled and locked on deck. We also use this as our bulk beer buying storage and etc.
Aft Port guest Cabin = this is always made up and ready for guests. closet and under bed storage empty.

Overall living on a 42 is very comfy! We have the salon table down and into the day bed position all of the time, it's a great spot to hang out to watch a movie at night or nap. There's plenty of storage for months of food and cooking utensils. During our last pass through St Maarten I had rear cockpit sun shades made, these have been a lifesaver for afternoon/evening sun, it's a must!

With our current solar array and usage, we only run the generator after a cloudy day that we spent indoors playing video games or watching movies. Or, when we need to run the washer/dryer (the drying aspect is useless, we wash then hang dry). Watermaker is run every other day during peak sun.

We always close our black tanks when at an anchorage and have stayed at anchor up to 10 days once without issue. We use the forward guest head as the #1 toilet(if we don't just jump off or go off the sugar scoops). After we fill the owners head tank, we move over to the aft guest head. As long as you keep the flushes small and don't waste room on #1's there is plenty of space for an extended anchorage stay.

Please feel free to ask any other specific questions you have. Also, there is a possibility our vessel may go up for sale in the next couple months so I can stay ashore and work on a new business acquisition I just did. If you haven't found a vessel yet and want to chat, send me a PM on this or any other private questions you have.
BobL1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-2019, 06:32   #13

Thanks BobL, that's immensely helpful. I knew there had to be someone out there who actually did some long-term living on the L42.

I am actually working on Solar layout and planning. I intend to use even more solar than you have and a really large LFP bank and eliminate the generator.

That's why I have been looking for a accurate measure of the traveler width.

The plan as it sits now is to purchase in the Med next year, unless I find the right one on this side of the pond.

Thanks again! [emoji1360]
Old 25-07-2019, 08:10   #14

Of course the biggest difference is the sail configuration. With the mast moved amid ship it changes all the sailing characteristics between the 450 and the 42. 450 owners generally don’t like the mast set up on the 42 or new 46. We love it.
Old 31-07-2019, 08:09   #15

Boat: Jaguar catamaran 36 foot,Pontoon boat 9 metres.Panache 22 foot ,Lagoon 42

We spend 10 days cruising and the water situation is dire.We got through a tank a day (using washing machine etc).We have a water maker but that necessitates having the generator running at the same time.Larger water tanks are essential.My 10 cents worth.But still a great cat.
Sa Sailor is offline   Reply With Quote