Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-03-2018, 02:05   #1

Boat: Lagoon 450
Drips from cockpit roof

(fellow lagoon 450 owners/users) Am I the only sensitive petal that finds the drip, drip, drip of rain from the underside at the back end corners of the cockpit roof onto the deck directly over head of the bed in the aft cabins really annoying? If not: has anyone found an elegant remedy? It rains a lot here in Croatia this time of year (not to mention blows like mad - 66 knots 2 nights ago) and the constant drum on the ceiling isn't quite Chinese water torture but it does grow tiresome.
Blackduck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-03-2018, 09:43   #2

Boat: Lagoon 450 F
Re: Drips from cockpit roof

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackduck View Post
(fellow lagoon 450 owners/users) Am I the only sensitive petal that finds the drip, drip, drip of rain from the underside at the back end corners of the cockpit roof onto the deck directly over head of the bed in the aft cabins really annoying? If not: has anyone found an elegant remedy? It rains a lot here in Croatia this time of year (not to mention blows like mad - 66 knots 2 nights ago) and the constant drum on the ceiling isn't quite Chinese water torture but it does grow tiresome.
Add me to that list that finds it annoying !. I've been meaning to hunt down the cause and think up a remedy. Some kind of drip strip / channel maybe ?

PS: Leaving Cyprus shortly, heading to the Adriatic (after a short Marmaris stopover for some maintenance at my favourite yard!

Rgds Mark
Catapault is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-03-2018, 12:09   #3

Boat: Valiant 40

I've seen cats with a channel around the edge of the canopy that route water to a hose onto the deck. I'm sure you could construct something similar with relative ease. The hose part of the design is visually unattractive. Perhaps it would be enough to create a channel that directs the water flow to some area where when it hits the deck it's not as audible down below?
Suijin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2018, 03:39   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suijin View Post
I've seen cats with a channel around the edge of the canopy that route water to a hose onto the deck. I'm sure you could construct something similar with relative ease. The hose part of the design is visually unattractive. Perhaps it would be enough to create a channel that directs the water flow to some area where when it hits the deck it's not as audible down below?
Yes I am guessing that something needs to conjured up along those lines... if only I can get the geometry right.
Old 17-03-2018, 04:05   #5

Boat: Leopard 39

Just an idea. What if you placed two pots or bowls right below the areas of drainage at the corners of the roof? When the pots fill with water, the sound might be deadened, and the overflow will simply drain onto the deck. If the issue is the percussion of the water striking the deck, a simple buffer in the form of a pool of water in a pot might dampen that, or result in a less offensive sound; but if you have sensitive hearing, you might still hear the water hitting the water. Other materials might dampen the sound better. Worth a try.
danielamartindm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2018, 04:12   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by danielamartindm View Post
Just an idea. What if you placed two pots or bowls right below the areas of drainage at the corners of the roof? When the pots fill with water, the sound might be deadened, and the overflow will simply drain onto the deck. If the issue is the percussion of the water striking the deck, a simple buffer in the form of a pool of water in a pot might dampen that, or result in a less offensive sound; but if you have sensitive hearing, you might still hear the water hitting the water. Other materials might dampen the sound better. Worth a try.
Absolutely worth a try at least in the short term: I placed a big fat soft sponge there once as a temporary measure...it worked but was definitely not a long term fix. I may also try taping a piece of fishing line from the bottom of the ceiling (where the drips gather) and taping the other ed to the deck below to act as a path of least resistance. (again temporary). I was just wondering if I am the only 450 owner who finds the noise annoying (good to know I am not, tankks Mark on Catapault!) now if we can find an elegant permanent solution.
Old 17-03-2018, 05:12   #7

Yep. Solved that and other drip and flow problems a long time ago. Get some stick on window rubber seal lines and direct the water flow. With the aft cockpit I direct it on to the side clears so I don’t hear the dripping.
DavefromNZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2018, 05:19   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavefromNZ View Post
Yep. Solved that and other drip and flow problems a long time ago. Get some stick on window rubber seal lines and direct the water flow. With the aft cockpit I direct it on to the side clears so I don’t hear the dripping.
Thanks for that Dave I will give the window rubber seals ago..as soon as I source some here in Croatia, which generally just means a bus trip somewhere.
Old 17-03-2018, 05:48   #9

Boat: Moody 44’ ketch

If it is not too late to save you a bus ride a bead of clear silicon will have the same effect. I don’t own a cat but have used the silicon to solve the same problem on polycarbonate roof sheet on land.
Malabarista is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2018, 05:53   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malabarista View Post
If it is not too late to save you a bus ride a bead of clear silicon will have the same effect. I don’t own a cat but have used the silicon to solve the same problem on polycarbonate roof sheet on land.
Too wet and windy to consider a bus ride today.. so I will take a look and see if a bead of silicon can stand in - still need to work out where to direct it (I don't have the clears up to direct it the rain on to so it's still a matter of geometry.
Thanks again
Old 17-03-2018, 06:03   #11

Boat: Moody 44’ ketch

Quote:
Too wet and windy to consider a bus ride today.. so I will take a look and see if a bead of silicon can stand in - still need to work out where to direct it (I don't have the clears up to direct it the rain on to so it's still a matter of geometry.

Thanks again

The silicon won’t stick if it is put on a wet surface. Sorry if this is bleeding obvious just trying to save a messy removal job. A little hint on application is dry off the whole surface apply a rough bead to where you want it then spray the local area with a soapy water spray. Be liberal with the spray. Then when you tidy up the bead with soapy water sprayed finger or ice cream lollipop stick it won’t stick any where else you don’t want it to. Another hint is to have a plastic disposable cup full of soapy water nearby so when your finger/stick is loaded with silicon just dip it in and the silicon will slide right off and be contained in the cup. You can tell i silicon a lot of bathrooms right?
Malabarista is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2018, 06:15   #12

Boat: 43 ft Selene/Solo

Try looking at essential products, (rvgutters.com). They manufacture rv and marine gutters. I have used them on my previous boat, and have just place an order for my present boat. Works great!!!
Ralph Waldo Emerson
captain465 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2018, 07:54   #13

You can use a 2mm line and then white duck tape over it, it will form a ridge that can direct water. Use good quality tape or you will have a glue residue to clean off a couple of years when the UV finally degrades it.
Bean Counter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2018, 09:00   #14

As many have suggested, make a little dam, using anything appropriate, to guide the water wanting to drain off the roof positively to the corner where it now drips. Then hang a bit of light line down from that corner down onto the cabin top. The water will run quietly down the line and off onto the cabin roof without making the annoying noise.

When it's not raining just remove the whole kit'n'kaboodle and stow it till the next rain comes on.

TP - a denizen of the rainforest on the "Wet Coast"
TrentePieds is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2018, 13:30   #15

Quote:
Yes I am guessing that something needs to conjured up along those lines... if only I can get the geometry right.
We have used plastic type weather stripping that you can find in most DIY shops. Its quite flexible and good on large diameter curves. You can also get some with sticky tape attached to it so makes it easy to cut to length and fit. Easy solution.

But there are a few areas still that get thru i.e. cockpit roof lid latch, genoa sheave, covers, etc.

So we moved to a location with no rain!
Emerald Sea is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cockpit