Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-01-2023, 23:36   #16

Boat: 2008 Lagoon 380 S2
Re: Dyneema rigging

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tupaia View Post
He works out of Sydney

Been excellent. Saved in excess of 30kg aloft and very stable.
Dynex Dux overbraided with Dynex finished with hi load stainless thimbles at each end.

I would be interested in how "Peter" has achieved Dyneema furling forestays. I did not think this was possible.
Funnily enough, Mike Strong got back to me and suggested I use Peter Greig as he is close to me (in Port Douglas) and is "the leading exponent for Dux dyneema". So it is now just a case of deciding which is the best way to go!
Trevor Doble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2023, 02:04   #17

Boat: Shuttleworth Advantage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trevor Doble View Post
Funnily enough, Mike Strong got back to me and suggested I use Peter Greig as he is close to me (in Port Douglas) and is "the leading exponent for Dux dyneema". So it is now just a case of deciding which is the best way to go!
Please post your thoughts when it is done.
Tupaia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2023, 03:34   #18

Quote:
Will do. Peter is coming to scope it out next week and we will decide whether to go stainless or dyneema after that. He said he can do either.

Appreciate your input.
Old 28-02-2023, 23:18   #19

Quote:
Hi, just an update on the process...

Rigging is finalised in Dyneema, Peter Greig was incredibly knowledgeable and I have full confidence that it was done right. Peter said he has done 80 Dyneema rigs and has never had a failure, so no reason to think ours will be the first

We were going to change the rigging "in situ" but when we checked out the electrics in the mast they were a nightmare, so we decided to drop the mast, replace all the electrics and do the rigging at the same time. It would have been only a few days, but the wet season had its say so we had the mast off for over a week - quite a stressful time! Fortunately everything went back together prefectly and I am now confident with all my electrics - including a new VHF antenna, TV / FM antenna and all sub-standard wiring replaced AND LABELLED.

In terms of cost, I had three different quotes for replacement in stainless, and Peter's quote for Dyneema was up to $3,000 cheaper than those.

Hopefully we will have the last of the tidying up done in a couple of weeks and we'll be able to tes tthe new rigging with some canvas up.
Old 08-05-2023, 11:11   #20

Interested in your feedback now that it’s field tested…!?
I have an Lagoon 400 and like the idea of the swap, but haven’t found any examples out there.
Dali Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2023, 03:26   #21

Hi Chris. We haven't done much sailing as yet, have used the "wet season" as an opportunity to do some upgrades including lithium batteries and air conditioning (essential for Cairns!). We are hoping to cast off as soon as the weather turns, so I'll keep you appraised on the dyneema rigging. At this stage it seems really good, but hasn't been put to the test yet.

Tags
dyneema, rigging