Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Manufacturers Forums > Lagoon Catamarans
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-03-2014, 21:36   #1

Guidance for selling a boat

Hi there

I'd welcome any advice on how to sell a Lagoon Catamaran. Ours is a Lagoon 2009 380 that is in the Med, but likely suits an American buyer (it has American wiring). I'd be interested in not involving a broker, if thats possible.

I'd thought we could maybe offer some hands on learning as part of the package - does anyone do that? Seems the best way of finding out how a boat works, and probably about cruising as well - from someone who's owned the boat and been doing it.

Anyway, I'd appreciate thoughts on this - I've only bought a boat never sold one!

cheers
Ange
AngeW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-03-2014, 07:12   #2

Boat: Van de Stadt 44 #393 Aluminium
Re: Guidance for selling a boat

Hey Ange, your boat is quite new and maybe out of my price range.

did you put together a factsheet on the boat? Could you share more info?

Best,

Gus

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngeW View Post
Hi there

I'd welcome any advice on how to sell a Lagoon Catamaran. Ours is a Lagoon 2009 380 that is in the Med, but likely suits an American buyer (it has American wiring). I'd be interested in not involving a broker, if thats possible.

I'd thought we could maybe offer some hands on learning as part of the package - does anyone do that? Seems the best way of finding out how a boat works, and probably about cruising as well - from someone who's owned the boat and been doing it.

Anyway, I'd appreciate thoughts on this - I've only bought a boat never sold one!

cheers
Ange
gtpinhei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-03-2014, 07:29   #3
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Guidance for selling a boat

Post it on www.apolloduck.com tho' being a US boat VAT will likely apply.. however it could well appeal to someone looking to do a prolonged trip outa the Schengen area.. would likely have appealed to Wendi who wanted a boat just for the Atlantic ARC experience but had to settle for a VAT paid 380.. likely a tad dearer than one not paid like yours.
Some try things like 'expenses incurred deducted from price for buyer'.. a good video tour of the boat posted on a site and on here would also be a good thing.. along with a good inventory.
Best wishes for a speedy sale..

You can't beat a people up for 75 years and have them say.. "I Love You.. ".
"It is better to die standing proud, than to live a lifetime on ones knees.."

The Politician Never Bites the Hand that Feeds him the 30 piece's of Silver..
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 30-03-2014, 15:50   #4

Hey thanks for a really thoughtful and full reply - hadn't heard of Apollo duck, and the video tour is a great idea too.
Old 30-03-2014, 23:04   #5

Fact sheet coming once we have a bit of a plan.

I'm wondering about location to make it easy for those wanting to check out a boat to buy - the boat is in Montenegro just now, we had plans to end this season back in Greece - Preveza or Corfu - but could move her pretty easily anywhere in the Med. I guess somewhere near a big hub airport could have advantages?
Old 31-03-2014, 23:39   #6
Eternal Member

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Lagoon 400

Phil, VAT wasn't paid on Sephina, she was Aussie rego 2012 model
Good Luck Ange, I wouldn't bother moving her, maybe put an ad on one of the large commercial sites. It would appeal to anyone out of the EU that wants to cruise the MED for a couple of years and onward. You could also look at paying VAT in Croatia where it may be as cheap as 5%.
monte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014, 00:51   #7

Boat: International Etchells USA 125 Black Magic, Santana 20 475 Ghost, Hobie 33 3100 Bruja, dinghies,

Ange,
Have you read some of the on-line threads where potential buyers howl and shriek at the horrible pictures some people use in their boat advertisements?

Dark pictures, bad angles or lighting, out of focus, cluttered compartments, important equipment or areas missing/not shown, pictures that aren't current, sistership pictures, pictures of filth and junk?

Of course, you wouldn't commit any of those sins.
Old 01-04-2014, 21:30   #8

cheers for the advice Monty - going to be sad to sell, but its time. Think we may head to Gouvia on Corfu, then buyers can get there pretty easily, independent surveyors etc. (I was a little alarmed to see the same model and year of boat for sale where ours is being wintered over, in Montenegro, but I'm pretty sure its not ours!)

and yes you are right rgscpat, about the bad pictures. When we were buying, we were looking for a Lagoon, and the number of lazy dealers who just put up stock images of that stupid tray on the bed in the main cabin...argh! The video idea was a good one, will do that too I think

cheers
Ange
Old 11-05-2014, 02:56   #9

Boat: Lagoon 380 S2

Afaik: The one in Montenegro is a charter boat, still on duty, owned by a russian charter company, registered on BVI.
Price is OK and still negotiable but getting a clear title might be a challenge under these conditions.

I guess your boat is under temporary importation. Any private EU resident would need to import and pay VAT of the country where the handover happens. The 5% VAT scheme is no longer applied in croatia so not an option anymore.

I sold my 410 in 2012 via Apolloducks, here are a few others that draw quite a few folks to my boat:
Used Boats
Barcos de ocasión, alquiler de barcos, embarcaciones
Barcos de Ocasión

This one seems to be geared towards US buyers:
Sailboat Listings - sailboats for sale

I priced my boat pretty reasonably and sold for >90% of the asking within two weeks. Others are putting ridiculous price tags on their boats, fishing for fools. I can point you to dozens of boats that have been on the market for years.
So check the other boats and price accordingly, keeping the VAT in mind.
Good luck
rabbi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-2014, 00:38   #10

thanks Rabbi, appreciate the advice and the links. I know what it is like to be a buyer trying to find a way through the various options on the market, some boats pretty basic ex-charter, some overpriced, some a bit unclear in ownership, then there are the language challenges. I am however looking forward to the process, like anything with boats, you end up learning new things and meeting some great people

cheers
Ange