Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Manufacturers Forums > Lagoon Catamarans
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-01-2019, 08:04   #16

Boat: Island Packet, Packet Cat 35
Re: Hard Top to replace bimini on Lagoon 380

Quote:
Originally Posted by familysailing View Post
we covered our 2000 lagoon 3803 with 1/4 inch king starboard. three 4' by 8' sheets. it comes in grey or white. used stainless p clamps to affix the sheets to the frame. used wood jig saw to trim the excess. hand router to knock off the edges.

we went grey with white to cover the 'walk ways' on either side of the boom

we added bolt rope track for windscreen, enclosure, sunshades....even gutters to collect rainwater

disadvantage is can only add flexible solar panels, and it is not as large as the factory made lagoon hardtops.
Can you walk on it? If you need to deal with the main being secured or whatever?
Cpt Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2019, 09:18   #17

Boat: Norseman 430, Jabberwock

I will need to find pictures, but I made a bimini with a center section (maybe 5.5 ft X 7.5 ft) of two Decolite Balsa composite panels that I fiberglassed together, and attached side panels of Sunbrella.

The aluminum frame and uprights weighs I think about 65 lbs, and the hard top maybe 40 lbs.

I can "reef down" for a blow by removing the canvas, which attaches to bolt rope track I glued to the edges of Decolite.

Someone spoke about doing much the same, but figured that a hard surface of two ft width would be wide enough for sail handling. Maybe at the dock, but out on the water, my 5.5 ft width is as narrow as I would want.
ggray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-2019, 09:38   #18

Wow thanks so much to everyone for their responses they have been a great help. In conclusion it appears that the hard top is definitely the way forward, like everything the costs vary alot depending on how much work one is willing and able to do ones self . Cheers
CBzim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-2019, 11:14   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canarios View Post
I bought a new glass fiber top for my Lagoon 380, seven years ago, from the Swedish dealer, who had got one extra when he ordered from France. The price was 3600 € for the top inclusive the steel legs, bults etc as well as the plastic transparent windshield. The top is extremely heavy and we were 5 people lifting it on board installing it.
Two years later we even bought the surrounding transparent protection, which was good to have in Sweden. The cost for this was, if I remember right, 350- 400 €. This summer we sailed the boat down to Gran Canaria during the nights we used the surrounding cover as it is possible to see the sails through the transparent roof hatch and the surrounding ocean through the transparent windows.
I recommend to buy both and install it yourself.
When you say it came from France do you mean it was from Lagoon builders themselves ?Thanks for the advise
CBzim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2019, 12:27   #20

Boat: Custom Catamaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcj View Post
I have a 470...i replaced my soft top with azek type pvc panels from home depot two years ago for about $500. Basic carpentry skills required.. Used existing frame. Held up fine and I can walk on it... No dancing allowed though[emoji4]...

The quotes I got for a fiberglass ht were $10k+.. Although a shop in so fla has forms for a 380 hard top...
I’m thinking about doing similar but they only have 3mm pvc panels here. What thickness did you use?

Might end up going with 6mm (1/4”) plywood with a layer of epoxy resin to firm it all up...

N
ausnp84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2019, 14:04   #21
kcj

Boat: Lagoon 470, ex corsair f31

1/2"...layer it for joints and areas that need support

I'd go pvc over plywood... Weatherproof and may be lighter... And joints are stronger than the material...

I considered honeycomb core and fiberglass.... Alot more work and pvc is cleaner finish... But I can't dance on mine..

Good luck
kcj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2019, 02:01   #22

Boat: Custom Catamaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcj View Post
1/2"...layer it for joints and areas that need support

I'd go pvc over plywood... Weatherproof and may be lighter... And joints are stronger than the material...

I considered honeycomb core and fiberglass.... Alot more work and pvc is cleaner finish... But I can't dance on mine..

Good luck
Ta. Will order up the sheeting and work out a way to bond it all together...

N
ausnp84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2019, 05:18   #23
kcj

Boat: Lagoon 470, ex corsair f31

Quote:
Originally Posted by ausnp84 View Post
Ta. Will order up the sheeting and work out a way to bond it all together...

N
Re. Bonding---look for clear pvc glue... Got mine on Amazon... Not the purple and orange I used on plumbing... Much cleaner[emoji41]

Look in lumber sections, the pvc is used to trim ext on houses...
kcj is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bimini, lagoon, lagoon 380