Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-06-2015, 02:21   #16

Boat: currently boatless
Re: Installing new motors

Hello all,
well it was a big couple of days but the new engines and sail drives are installed with just the electrical lines to be run and connected to the new instrument panels as well as the throttle and gear cables. Sue has been an absolute trojan having cleaned both bilges and engine rooms. It astounds me how they were allowed to get to such a state that it was like sloppy stinking mud. The bilge pump filter was a disgrace. I don't know what some one was thinking but they had covered the filter with fly screen which was totally blocked with gunk.
We have three new coats of antifoul on the boat and the props are already for new propped. We can't wait to start getting things back together, the boat looks like a bomb has hit it.
There have been a few visitor which have been a most welcome distraction. We were able to meet Steve and Nora off Zero Gravity, a fellow 410 owner who has there boat stored on the hard here. Its great to meet fellow cruiser forum members and Lagoon owners as well.
Hope to splash in the next couple of days and start our cruise north.:big grin:

An exhausted Sue and Greg
SV Sunshine
ozsailer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2015, 02:36   #17

Boat: Lagoon 380 #241

Greg & Sue,
Well done, what a huge effort. I do know what you went through re: the engine bays :bang head: Yours will obviously look a heap better than ours, what with those gleaming new motors & drives.

Hopefully we can catch up sometime soon if you get up this far. We're hoping to head south at the end of next month to Whitsundays. To catch up with Trev & Gaye (Bahia L410) & maybe you guys. If we can finalise our packing .

Dave
Seabreeze, Lagoon 380 #241
Innisfail, North Queensland, Australia ... Cruising the waters of the Great Barrier Reef
www.sea-breeze.com.au
gspeak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2015, 04:28   #18
Eternal Member

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Lagoon 400

Greg, we have 40hp ya mars as well. The instrument display doesn't show engine temp. Will you have it on the display? I'm just wondering if it's possible or if an extra wiring harness or something is required.
monte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2015, 05:07   #19

Hi Monte,
your are correct in the new panels not showing engine temp. I have been told there is a gauge that can be connected as well as oil pressure but the standard gauge only has alarms. Our old panel was the same so I take it they work well but I will be monitoring it to see if it is worth putting a gauge in. Mind you its the same with new cars today, no gauge just an alarm.
At the moment both motors are in and running but the port motor is not pulling the fuel through correctly and is cutting out. I am hoping it is only something minor. The job was supposed to take only two days ( for which they quoted in writing ) but so far it has been three days and still not completed. Different mechanic tomorrow to hopefully complete job othewise things are going to get very blue over here.

Greg and Sue
SV Sunshine
Old 15-06-2015, 14:09   #20

Boat: Lagoon 380 #241

Greg, no news is good news?

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Seabreeze, Lagoon 380 #241
Innisfail, North Queensland, Australia ... Cruising the waters of the Great Barrier Reef
www.sea-breeze.com.au
gspeak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-06-2015, 03:42   #21

Hello Graham,
good and bad news. The motors are up and running after teething problems with the fuel delivery system. Electrics are another story . Its 8.34pm on Tuesday and I have only just managed to get our anchor winch going again after doing a rewire of the system. The extraction fan on the port motor is now connected temporarily but the starboard one is not connected at all. .
A lot of the electrics that were connected to the old motors have not been connected to the new motors. We are trying to resolve that now.
At 5pm today were were not re launching tomorrow as I did not want to go out on the water without our anchor winch working as well as the heat extraction fans. Now I have rewired the anchor winch (using schematics from Lofrans) I am happy to go back in the water now.
I will post updates as thing progress. Steve from Zero Gravity, if you read this please excuse me not sending you that promised email, I have not forgot we just got a tad busy and will get around to it very shortly.

Greg and Sue
SV Sunshine
Old 16-06-2015, 20:10   #22

Boat: Lagoon 410 (now sold)

No worries Greg, thanks for the update.

Sorry to hear things didn't work quite as smoothly as you had hoped, but it seems those issues won't delay you too long. The shiny, trouble free new engines will soon dissipate any frustration over the installation process.

Tags
motor