Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-08-2014, 17:14   #1

Keel Repairs

Has anyone repaired their keel on a 1998 vintage lagoon after a grounding? I found a small hole on the bottom side of the keel after a minor grounding on one hull. Did a under water resin repair to temp close the hole. I will be pulling the boat to do bottom work this fall and I'm not sure how the keel is constructed or the best way to repair.

Any experience with this type of repair for this vintage of boat?

Thx
gl008670 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-08-2014, 04:53   #2

Boat: JBW club 420, MFG Bandit, Snark
Re: Keel Repairs

I've repaired the keel of another make of about the same vintage after a grounding so I will offer my experience. It may be entirely worthless to you since I'm not familiar with your particular boat, but since no others have posted, here it is.

Your keels will be cored, most likely with what the rest of the boat is cored with if you know that. Depending on how deep the hole is and its location a little of that core material may be wet. You need to figure out a way to grind that wet material out and glass over the area. I think you've got a relatively minor repair ahead of you, assuming there is no other damage to her.

Sent from my SCH-S738C using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Old 23-08-2014, 16:23   #3

I will post what I find after pulling the boat this fall. Hopefully the water hasn't penetrated to fare.

Fivesilde thanks for your input.
gl008670 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-08-2014, 11:53   #4

Boat: Lagoon380 Comfort#637
Send a message via Skype™ to careka

Have a look at this blogg go a bit back, they did a big repair jobb. and its a very good >Blogg SV Letitgo
careka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 11:51   #5

Boat: Lagoon, 410, 41ft

Lagoons are made with solid fiberglass up to the waterline including the keels (my 380 and 410 are like that) so a simple fiberglass repair and new gel coat should do it. I saw a 410 with a big hole in the keel repaired that way.
Old 02-10-2014, 11:56   #6

Boat: Manta 40 "Reach"

Are you sure the keel is solid glass? That would be massively heavy. Most keels are foam-filled. I agree that they aren't cored skins, but they would still require hauling and draining for the best repair.

I don't see any need for gelcoat on a keel repair.

Mark

You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.
colemj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 12:07   #7

The entire keel is not solid, the walls are. As you say not cored. On mine I can see down into the keels from under the floorboards. I think the bottom of the keel is pretty thick.
It is possible that someone (previous owner maybe) has blown foam down there in yours, I have thought of that since the bilge pumps appear to have a hard time.
I'm not a pro fiberglass guy, but I think re-gelcoating is a good thing to seal the glass from the water. On the repair job I saw done, they ground down the fiber around the hole, filled it with something like Marine-tex and glassed over it and then added gelcoat. That hole was about an inch wide from hitting a rock at speed.
Old 02-10-2014, 15:05   #8

Boat: Manta 40 "Reach"

I understand now - yours are not sacrificial keels, but are integral to the hull and contain a sump. Ours are like that also. We have sealed crash boxes fore and aft in the keels. These boxes are filled with foam. The bottom of our keels where they form the sump are 1/2" thick.

I suspect yours also contain crash boxes (foam-filled or not) and thick glass on the bottoms (1/2" is thick).

Gelcoat isn't waterproof - better to apply a couple coats of epoxy on a hull repair instead.

I like the L410 - a lot of boat for the money.

Mark

You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.
colemj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 16:04   #9

Boat: JBW club 420, MFG Bandit, Snark

Glad you guys are setting him straight. At least I told him my advice might be worthless.

Sent from my SCH-S738C using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Old 02-10-2014, 16:09   #10

Yes and yes about the epoxy to seal off the fiber. I think Fountaine Pajots have the sacrificial keels.

And yes about the 410, I've had it for 3 months and love it. Heading for the Bahamas (from Maryland) in a few weeks.

Tags
keel, repairs