Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Manufacturers Forums > Lagoon Catamarans
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-06-2009, 08:55   #1

Lagoon 380 for Offshore Sailing ?

Hi,

I'm looking at a 2003 Lagoon 380S2 and would like to hear opinions on taking this boat offshore. Specifically, a transpac from the carib to the S. Pacific.

Clearly this a standard charter/cruiser cat and not high performance by any means... but assuming the boat is properly equipped and handled by a competent, experienced crew would there by any concerns taking this cat across the ocean?

I know they come across on their own bottoms from France and boats far smaller have circumnavigated, but from a practical perspective how do you think this boat would handle big open ocean crossings?

Thanks in advance!
cbcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-06-2009, 09:05   #2

Boat: 47' Olympic Adventure
PM mudbug - he has a 380 and has covered a lot of miles in the Caribbean.
Lodesman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-06-2009, 09:39   #3

Boat: 440 Lagoon
Ads

Good reading, great videos, think you will enjoy since it is the same boat as you are looking at.
VERTIGO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-06-2009, 09:42   #4

Boat: 440 Lagoon
Not sure why it posted like that but click on "Ads" and it should open the link.
VERTIGO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-06-2009, 10:05   #5

Boat: 1976 Pearson 365 s/v Sabbatical
Rendezvous! | The Hynes Honeymoon!

These two just crossed the pacific on their Lagoon 38.
Snboard976 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-06-2009, 19:07   #6

Snboard976, thanks for the link... Very helpful. Actually got to chat via skype with the owner, who's now in Moorea. Lots of great L380 info.
cbcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-06-2009, 22:47   #7

Boat: Harbor 20, Seawind 1370 (2024)
I can't find a link, but a ran across a website about six months back about a gentleman (british?) that bought a brand new Lagoon 380, and shortly thereafter left for a circumnavigation with a friend and adult son I think.....sorry I can't give more detail.
Mark424 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-06-2009, 02:15   #8
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Sailing vessels up to 200 tons
I delivered 380 from France to Florida - really could not recommend it as an Ocean going boat. There were problems with the build quality on my trip, the bridge deck clearance is poor (so lots of noise), I have heard of other delivery skippers who have had problems on delivery.

Definitely not a performance boat, very slow downwind. But it's a cheap boat aimed at warm climate day sailing and charter markets - you get what you pay for.

Delivering boats for a living - no more!
edsailing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-06-2009, 07:27   #9

Boat: 2017 Leopard 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by edsailing View Post
I delivered 380 from France to Florida - really could not recommend it as an Ocean going boat. There were problems with the build quality on my trip, the bridge deck clearance is poor (so lots of noise), I have heard of other delivery skippers who have had problems on delivery.

Definitely not a performance boat, very slow downwind. But it's a cheap boat aimed at warm climate day sailing and charter markets - you get what you pay for.

I chartered a Lagoon 380s in Belize -- very nice boat but I agree it's not fast, nor does it point well. Made a lot of leeway on a reach. Top sustained speed we saw was about 9.5 knots on a reach in about 25 knots apparent, in flat protected water behind the barrier reef. That's a charter boat with tanks more than half-full but not loaded down with all the other crap a long-term cruiser would want to have. Clearance seemed OK but we never went outside. A friend charted one in the BVIs and experienced a lot of pounding when motoring to windward in a chop.

As a coastal cruiser it would be a very nice boat. If I were to order one I would make the following changes:
  1. The roll-back helm seat is uncomfortable for more than a day. Would change it to a flat back
  2. Would open up the rail to allow the helmsman to enter/exit from the centerline (without need to walk all the way around to the outer port side). Would add a step in the bulkhead to make the climb easy.
  3. Would make the salt water galley pump electric-- no need to save seawater.
  4. Keels are open to the bilge. A grounding that damages a keel could flood the whole hull of the stock boat. The bows of the stock boat are open unfinished space with no floor or collision bulkhead. Would consider the following, if going world-cruising: Glass in the bilge above the (hollow) keels with composite panels, with watertight inspection ports. Glass-in composite panels to make floors in the forward part of the hulls, with watertight inspection ports. Close off the bows (including inspection ports). These extra compartments would serve as collision bulkheads and the floors would be above the waterline.
  5. Would add bilge pumps to the new closed-off spaces. Would add piezo beeper in each circuit to signal if a float switch triggered.
SailFastTri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-06-2009, 12:11   #10

Boat: Chris White Atlantic 42
You can sail anywhere on anything. I've seen several 38's in the SP. It just depends on your tolerance for risk. Before I get into details I'll say the best boat to take cruising is the one you own... life is short...all boats are a compromise.

When I sailed 15,000+ nm from Seattle to Australia via the South Pacific islands on a ULD 40' mono I only had two sustained gales in the entire trip... I admit I was lucky weather wise, but when you do get in a gale or strong gale you start to wonder how much you boat can take. Not wind wise, but sea wise. It's always the seas that can get scary in the South Pacific.

Storms in the far off Southern ocean crank out huge swells that can affect you a 1000's of nm away. Put local gale conditions on top of confused seas from multiple far off LO's and things can get pretty sketchy. On a nice day with 15-20 knots True we got knocked down by a rouge wave that broke over our boat while on a beam reach and we slid down sideways that is mast oriented nearly at 90*. The rouge wave was from two sets of huge swells from far off topped off with local wind waves. It was a freak combination, but in 400nm sailing on this leg of the voyage we had two such waves. Others in the area reported similar events. I always wondered what that would have been like in a cat.... I hope I never find out on my Atlantic 42 as we are going back to the SP in 2010.
Old 27-06-2009, 12:38   #11

I thot Cats are quicker on average?

Quick question: I keep hearing, from most anyway, that cats are quicker on the water. Here I am getting the message that certain cats are not. Curious: if one is not as concerned about speed, and still wanted he head down to South Pacific, does size than become the issue with such waves?
Notyetonboard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-06-2009, 12:55   #12

Boat: Chris White Atlantic 42
"Notyetonboard" I don't understand your question.
Old 27-06-2009, 13:25   #13

Restated!

Atlantic42,

I guess I am getting to that point where I realize, unless I have a ton of money, I am either going to get a cat with speed or a cat with lots of stability and comfort. I dont' see many that have both to the degree that would satisfy most. I know that if I was going to the carib from Florida, I could look at smaller cats. If I wanted to do the same from my home, San Diego, I would have to travel south into more difficult waters. So, my question is would a bigger cat, say 46 feet, be a reality for me versus something smaller that may be quicker?
Notyetonboard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-2009, 18:08   #14

Boat: 2017 Leopard 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by Notyetonboard View Post
Atlantic42,

I guess I am getting to that point where I realize, unless I have a ton of money, I am either going to get a cat with speed or a cat with lots of stability and comfort. I don't' see many that have both to the degree that would satisfy most. I know that if I was going to the carib from Florida, I could look at smaller cats. If I wanted to do the same from my home, San Diego, I would have to travel south into more difficult waters. So, my question is would a bigger cat, say 46 feet, be a reality for me versus something smaller that may be quicker?
All else equal, bigger will be faster.

But in general; lighter build, more sail area, narrower hulls at waterline, and higher bridge-deck clearance with less hull structure and more open netting will be faster. Exotic materials such as C-F will be use more extensively to save weight for a given strength, but at greater expense.

A better cruising boat has wider hulls for more lead carrying, more cabin structure and interior accommodations, more "systems" for human convenience, and carry less proportional sail area for safer operation in normal wind ranges. All that means more weight and less performance.

Everything is a compromise.
SailFastTri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-06-2009, 04:34   #15

380 comments

Hi cbcat,

I owned hull 13, a 1999/2000 380. Yeah, they are not fast, but forgiving. I had no quality issues at all. It was very roomy and comfy and easy to handle alone. That boat went from Lauderdale....around the Carib and I delivered it to new owners in PV, Mexico. No dramas at all. On the delivery trip it was grossly over-weight with stores and fuel. Downwind it'd go 8-12 (30+ knots up the bum) and would surf into the high teens/low 20s. Average speeds were 7-8 in decent conditions. It was pushed hard at times too.

A large screecher helped in light air. I believe the new owners are still chartering it daily in Mexico(vallarta sailing??). No damage, no failures on the hull or rig while I had it. If you want a lower cost cruising cat they are just fine. Keep an eye on exchange rates with the franc.

best - J
jaydh is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
lagoon, lagoon 380, offshore, sailing