Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-05-2014, 05:37   #1

Lagoon 39 Experiences?

I have followed CF for quite some time now (as a guest), but have not seen reports on this boat based on experience. I will get L39 in September, and would be interested in hearing comments and learning from others. Mine will be hull #90, so there should be already a lot of first-hand experience.

Or does the silence indicate that it is a perfect boat?
Old 22-05-2014, 19:48   #2

Boat: Lightwave 38
Re: Lagoon 39 experiences?

Hi Alfred,
I am also looking at the 39' but finiances screem second hand. I too would be interested as we will be living afloat.
Good luck

ClarkeB
ClarkeB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-2014, 19:58   #3
cruiser

Boat: Looking and saving for my next...mid-atlantic coast
Re: Lagoon 39 experiences?

I doubt I will ever be in your league financially, but I am also very curious about the Lagoon 39. I've been looking over catamaran's the last week or so. I think the 2 master cabin premiere version is a perfect layout for a singleton, or a retired couple.

One concern I have is the exposure of the helm position, and the height above the deck, unlike the totally unaffordable antares which has a protected helm. The Antares is a good baseline for ocean spec IMHO.

EDIT: Id like In-mast furling which also isn't available in the Lagoon.
SaltyMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-2014, 20:19   #4

Re: Lagoon 39 Experiences?

Ya know, it may be the economy but when the Lagoon 400 came out in 2009 the Lagoon 400 thread exploded with new owners chatting up options and customizations. The Lagoon 39? Nary a peep from new owners.

I don't think it's because the Lagoon 39 is undesirable. I run past a new one on my running route several times a week and marvel at its beauty. The only thing I don't get about the boat is where it fits in Lagoon's lineup. It's waterline is longer than the 400 but only has a slightly larger beam than the 380. Also, when you price it out with common options it is about the same as the 400S2. So, I'm thinking it may be an either/or decision between the 39 and the 400S2.
jostalli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-2014, 20:41   #5

Boat: Lightwave 38

I have never heard of the Antares til now, just had a look and I could not afford one but they do look good. How do they perform?
I am setting us up to sell our house and buy a cat next year, the Antares looks very livable but one would need the $$$$'s.
ClarkeB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-2014, 20:52   #6
cruiser

I don't know how the Antares sails. Its so off my $$$ chart, I didn't go any further. The design characteristics wowed me enough. You can check out some youtube videos and google reviews.

Heres a thread on here.

http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...6-a-31990.html

btw if you do get the Lagoon, I forgot to give you a HUGE CONGRATS!
Old 23-05-2014, 11:21   #7

Boat: Jeanneau 349 2015

Great to see this thread beginning. The admiral and I just went over finance plans this morning and see a path to owning this boat as the top of my list cat choice. The working question today is new or broken in. Variables include what will the inventory look like in 2016 and does the 39 suffer from the same quality issues the 52 apparently has?
RKsailsolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-05-2014, 11:23   #8

Stuff of dreams http://youtu.be/Pwrb751931E
Old 23-05-2014, 11:34   #9
cruiser

Damn. SM in pain. Where is my lotto?

SM rule of quality issues: Quality issue is directly proportional to size. Y = e^x
Old 24-05-2014, 06:50   #10

Alfred, if I may enquire, tell us about your buying experience i.e., broker choice, decision to buy new vs. broken in, why the Lagoon 39, etc..
Old 24-05-2014, 06:51   #11

Where are the Lagoon 39 owners sites?
Old 24-05-2014, 07:09   #12
cruiser

Ok, the Lagoon 39 has turned into a kind of Ear Worm that I cannot get out of my head. I wake up thinking of this boat everyday for the past week and a half, and then getting depressed at the finances to achieve it.

Two identical hulls, Easy to sail. Please make it stop.
Old 24-05-2014, 07:32   #13

Boat: Lagoon 39

L39 #64 from Ancasta UK, two owners hulls, been aboard about three months. We looked at the Leopard 39 (nice outside) and Maverick 400 (nice but odd) but can't beat the interior of the Lagoon.

One small word of advice, set aside even more cash to outfit the boat once you've actually taken possession. Boat is decent out of the box but additional lighting, instruments, deck hardware, spares, etc. add up. One example, we added additional lines & hardware to allow auto-tacking the jib so you can hove-to from the helm.

From what I've heard the smaller Lagoons had quality issues in the past but for whatever reason those days appear to be over.

Good luck!
Brent
Porcellum
Bunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-05-2014, 07:42   #14

Lagoon 39 Experiences?

Thanks Brent, your experience sounds great. When did you buy your boat? I am trying to guesstimate Lagoon's factory run rate on the 39 model in anticipation of what the market inventory will be in 2016 for this model. Current estimate just under 8 hulls per month.

Do you know of Lagoon 39 owner's sites we can benefit from?
Old 25-05-2014, 02:58   #15

RKsailsolo:
I had been looking for a catamaran for a few years, had test sails and charters, considered used L400 and L440, but abandoned them due to the saildrive problem of Yanmar.

And then L39 came: It felt immediately right, the size is good for two people, we were sold to it just at the first sight. We had a test sail that confirmed what others have said: It is an incredibly rigid boat.

The buying process becomes easier after realising that buying a Lagoon is like buying a car: You talk to the dealer and buy the boat from him. The factory offers some options that they know will work, but all other customisation is the reponsibility of the buyer, and has to take place after the delivery. This is OK for me, I only hope that Lagoon gives proper incentives to their dealers to take care of the buyers, also after the delivery. Even if the buyer is in another country or continent, when the unavoidable guarantee issues will come up.

Brent:
Thanks for your feedback. Yes, I have realised that the final bill will go up, I also plan to add several things after the delivery (solar panels, lithium battery, water maker...).

I am a bit concerned about the self-tacking jib in heavier conditions, and have been thinking of adding genoa rails to the rooftop to give the opportunity for conventional jib handling. This would also allow heaving-to. I did not understand how you arranged heaving-to from the helm, with blocks and lines to the stoppers?

(I would also be interested in using these rails for the sheets of a strom jib, if it could be rigged somehow?)

Tags
enc, lagoon