Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-08-2012, 16:16   #556

Boat: FP Elba 45
Re: Lagoon 400

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tassie Cruiser View Post
Hi D & D

Heading Yamba (on way down coast to Melbourne) way and just wondering where is best chance to have a look at a Lagoon 400 or similar.. ?

Glenn
Hello Glen, happy to show you over my Lagoon 400 when we are in residence, we have moorings at Martha Cove Marina on the Mornington Peninsula on Port Philip Bay. Send me a post when you plan to be in our area.
Regards Peter
peterp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-08-2012, 17:10   #557

Hello D&D, are you planning on visiting cold wet Melbourne any time soon.
Regards Peter
Old 27-08-2012, 19:39   #558
D&D
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: now skippering Syd Harbour charters

Quote:
Originally Posted by peterp View Post
Hello D&D, are you planning on visiting cold wet Melbourne any time soon.
Regards Peter
Hi there Peter...great to hear from you!

As for your question, the Admiral says "Why would we?" To complete the picture, we just finished a great 4-day Exhibition in near perfect weather at Tin Can Bay and we're now lying at anchor in the sun just inside Wide Bay Bar, waiting for a northerly forecast for late tomorrow to take us south. Our next exhibition is Coffs Harbour for the long weekend at the end of Sep, with brief stops planned at the Gold Coast and Yamba on the way...and then south to visit family and friends in Sydney, including new anti-foul for CatNirvana, before returning to Yamba. You make Melbourne sound SOOO attractive by comparison!!

Keep well...and stay warm!!
D&D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-08-2012, 21:41   #559

Don, the Admiral is spot on, anybody that wants to come to Melbourne in the freezing cold we have had lately would have to be bonkers!!!! I am quite sure that Port Philip Bay was frozen over the other night. Will catch up with you guys some time when it gets warmer, or suitable weather for humans, would like to check out your craft, seems many years ago we had a chat at the Sydney boat show. All the best to you and yours.
Regards Peter
Old 03-09-2012, 18:25   #560

Quote:
Originally Posted by peterp View Post
Hello Glen, happy to show you over my Lagoon 400 when we are in residence, we have moorings at Martha Cove Marina on the Mornington Peninsula on Port Philip Bay. Send me a post when you plan to be in our area.
Regards Peter

Hi Peter

Thanks Peter and D&D for quick courteous reply ..

Yes will be in Melbourne Tuesday to Thursday next week and would love an opportunity on your thoughts and a guided tour of vessel if that was a chance .. will private message you with my personal details later Peterp , just about to fly from cold Launceston to Sydney to pick up my car ... back on ferry to Tassie next thursday evening 13 th sept..

Cheers Glenn
Tassie Cruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-09-2012, 07:29   #561

Re: Lagoon 400 vs 421

Hello Everyone
Miles here in Texas. As of now I am only a Dreamer waiting for my Lotto ticket to come in. I have to say I've learned more on this forum than all the
research I have done. Thank You. I've only sailed a 16 ft Prindle cat a few times several years ago. My girlfriend bought us a 3 hour sail for my birthday which we sailed last weekend on a 36 ft Monohull. The sail was awesome and I watched and asked allot of questions. A mono is Not for me.

There is a L380 and a L421 here in Kemah which I only climbed on deck. The 380 seems small and the 421 is massive. I wish there was a 400 to compare.
I'm curious to know from all the 400 owners why the choice for a 400 over a 421 was made? It seems there are not many 421 owners out there as well as
info.Thanks
Rockitmiles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-09-2012, 11:15   #562

Boat: Lagoon 410 ELECTRIC!

Through the 410 into the mix as well. Perfect size for a cruising couple.
Steve in Solomons MD
Hyprdrv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-09-2012, 11:30   #563

Boat: 34' Crowther tri sold 16' Kayak now

The L420 was mostly a hybrid propulsion cat. It had many issues and most have been converted to diesels. The 421 is the replacement and it's only about 3 years old. It's a newer version of the older design so not many are made yet so not many for sale..
Old 19-09-2012, 15:27   #564

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockitmiles View Post
Hello Everyone
Miles here in Texas. As of now I am only a Dreamer waiting for my Lotto ticket to come in. I have to say I've learned more on this forum than all the
research I have done. Thank You. I've only sailed a 16 ft Prindle cat a few times several years ago. My girlfriend bought us a 3 hour sail for my birthday which we sailed last weekend on a 36 ft Monohull. The sail was awesome and I watched and asked allot of questions. A mono is Not for me.

There is a L380 and a L421 here in Kemah which I only climbed on deck. The 380 seems small and the 421 is massive. I wish there was a 400 to compare.
I'm curious to know from all the 400 owners why the choice for a 400 over a 421 was made? It seems there are not many 421 owners out there as well as
info.Thanks
Hello Miles, we looked long and hard at the L380 it is attractive price wise, and indeed a nice craft but chose the L400 as whilst is is only a couple of feet longer it is really huge in comparison and a later design, but I found not too huge for me to handle and would be just right to grow in to rather than buy a smaller craft then try and sell later to upgrade to a larger craft that I should have brought in the first place. I did check out several larger cats over the six years prior to finally making a decision, there is no hurry as time goes by the designs are improving all the time. I have not inspected a 421 but on balance the L400 is a excellent compromise on size in my view, it will fit in a 12M berth, large comfortable well designed living space, excellent cruising sailing vessel, ideal for a couple like us. As always just my thoughts. Regards Peter
Old 19-09-2012, 15:44   #565

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockitmiles View Post
Hello Everyone

info.Thanks
I have been fortunate enough to have a dealer down the street that lets me climb all over their 380, 400, 421 and 450. The 380 is nowhere near the size of the other boats. I will tell you that I have spent several hours walking from the 400 to the 421 trying to decide if the 421 is worth the extra $$. You can read the dimensions and make a judgement but once you climb aboard both you can really see how you will actually use the space. In my opinion the 421 does not feel considerably larger or more "comfortable" than the 400. Now, once you climb aboard the 450 it's a different story. That boat is huge in comparison to the 400 and the 421.

I feel the 421 is not selling as well as the 420 did when it came out simply because of the trouble everyone had with the 420 due to the hybrid system and the stern shape. Luckily Lagoon fixed the main problems from the 420.
jostalli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-09-2012, 16:13   #566
D&D
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: now skippering Syd Harbour charters

Quote:
Originally Posted by jostalli View Post
once you climb aboard the 450 it's a different story. That boat is huge in comparison to the 400 and the 421..
Absolutely 'spot on' there jostalli...and the same may be said about the 440. The 440 is almost exactly the same footprint (LOA and Beam) as the 450...and in our view the 440 layout is better.

Relevantly to the OP, it's also worth noting that (1) the 440 is also very capable of being handled by two people (arguably one person, but two is certainly comfortable); (2) the 440 is a superb sailor and proven 'blue water' vessel; and (3) there are a LOT of 440's out there thus suggesting a fairly deep market (and, in the current environment, plenty of bargain opportunities) for used 440's.

...and we join Peter in adding..."As always just my[our!] thoughts."
D&D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-09-2012, 19:11   #567

Boat: Hunter 50 CC

As a previous 400 and current 450 owner I think they are both great cruising catamarans. We are also fans of the 440, though we do like the 450 more. Plus, if you want to buy new, Lagoon stopped making the 440 as the 450 is really just an upgrade or refresh of the 440 line.

The thing that we enjoy most about moving to the 450 is the spacious seating at the helm. Second would be the enormous difference in storage space. And then the 2 refrigerators, 1 freezer, and the ice maker.

But realize that we were first looking for a beach front condo in the Caribbean but couldn't decide on which island. This way we can take our condo to all / any of the islands and maybe eventually to the Mediterranean and the South Pacific Islands.

Lucky Larry
Lucky Larry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 17:14   #568

Boat: Lagoon 400

If anyone has a parasailor on a Lagoon 400 I am interested to know what size you are using and your cost. I was given a boat show price of $8000 USD all up (sail, lines, snuffer and bag + training if desired) on a size 6 (1346 sq ft / 125 sq m). The rep says a size 7 (1507 sq ft / 140 sq m) would also work and that is what they would put on a 440, but he is pushing a size 6. Any thoughts or experience? Thanks!

Dan
dgabier1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
lagoon, lagoon 400