Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-06-2010, 03:15   #91

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 38
D&D

We weren't far from shore and in pretty shallow water so there wasn't much tide or current. Maybe half a knot or so.

Notwithstanding this, I thought that the boat sailed surprisingly well in light airs. However, there is something about this boat that you really don't notice the speed and need to take a good look at the wake to feel convinced.

Cheers

Garold

Quote:
Originally Posted by D&D View Post
All good Garold...and thanks much.

The light air performance there recorded is indeed good. Was there any tide or current involved?

Cheers,
the "wanabe"
Garold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 01:32   #92

Boat: FP Elba 45
Hello D&D. just been talking to the folk at VicSail Sydney, they will have a new L400 at the Sydney boat show, I and she who has to be obeyed will be there to join any who choose to go on a test sail after the show, be a great opportunity for you guys to give it the once over, and we will be very pleased to say g'day if you are there.
Regards Peter
peterp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 02:17   #93
D&D
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: now skippering Syd Harbour charters
Hello peterp! Thanks for the thinking of us. We'll reply by private message.
D&D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 06:23   #94

Boat: Beneteau 393
Garold,
I was impressed with the cameras you have mounted on the spreaders. They offered good visibility, especially when docking.
Can they be remotely positioned, to allow the view to be fine-tuned (perhaps to offer a forward view), or does that involve a trip up the mast?
Can you provide details of the make and model of the units you used?
nikki-m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2010, 03:01   #95

The cameras are Garmin fixed cameras. I did consider moveable ones but the price increased from something like £300 per camera to £2500. I think that the fully moveable ones would be better, I just couldn't justify/afford it.

Our cameras are set in the best position that we could agree on with the engineers, and I am unlikely to climb the mast to move them. My 16 stone would probably be one step too far for the harness!.

Cheers

Garold

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikki-m View Post
Garold,
I was impressed with the cameras you have mounted on the spreaders. They offered good visibility, especially when docking.
Can they be remotely positioned, to allow the view to be fine-tuned (perhaps to offer a forward view), or does that involve a trip up the mast?
Can you provide details of the make and model of the units you used?
Old 02-07-2010, 03:28   #96

Garold, can you go public, pictures etc. on your camera setup.
Regards Peter
Old 02-07-2010, 03:55   #97

Peter

I took a tip from a friend of mine who has a 50 foot Legend monohull. He couldn't see over the bow from the steering position and so he had a camera fitted beneath his radar. He said that it gave him better info when coming into a dock.

Obviously on a cat, the issues are different but I felt that more visual info would be helpful, especially on the L400 which has a fairly low position for the helmsperson.

My efforts were carefully considered but since it was the first time that I had untaken such a decision, largely guesswork. The Garmin fixed cameras (one for each side) are on the Garmin website and are about 2-3 inches cube (but in a small cylinder shape witha round top where the adjustable lens is). They are fitted about two thirds of the way out from the mast on the first set of cross trees. From the deck they are largely not noticed.

I can view the pictures on my Garmin 7 series gps at the nav table and at the helm. I can only view one camera at a time or I can programme them to alternate every few seconds. Each camera is angled to show one side of the boat. We have positioned them so that I can see about 6-8 foot in front of the bow, and the image includes between half and two thirds of the length of each hull.

So, in summary, I would say that the picture available from the cross tree position with these cameras is probably most of the length of the hull. But since I wanted to see how far from a dock my bows may be, my choice limits me to a view which ends somewhere about the helm position.

I'm not sure if this expalins the fitment but I hope that it helps.

Cheers

Garold

Quote:
Originally Posted by peterp View Post
Garold, can you go public, pictures etc. on your camera setup.
Regards Peter
Old 02-07-2010, 07:47   #98

Boat: Lagoon 400 Amritha
I have the separate fridge and freezer in galley setup and I am considering my options in moving the freezer and using the free space for storage. Two options: put it below the helm station. The possible problem with that area is moisture. That locker seems often to have some moisture. Now that the cockpit enclosure is completed (went with after market as is if far better quality) I expect the area to be dryer. 2nd option would be in the owner side in the cabinet where the optional washer/dryer would go. I am away from the boat for the next month and I can not measure the area. Does anyone know if the unit will fit in that area?

I have asked the local lagoon dealer about the cost of the add on overhead galley storage. No word back. Funny how that works once they are paid the interest level goes out the window. Does anyone know how much the cabinet costs.

I have also looked into ordering a couple sheets of the finished plywood (kind that is used throughout the boat) again no work from the dealer. This will let me have some custom work done. Anyone have an ideal how much they are or contact information so that I can go to the souce to order both the wood and the cabinet.

Would have to have it all shipped to Vancouver Island, Canada

Bman
bman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2010, 08:30   #99

Hi bman,
With regard to your cockpit cover, was this made to the same style as the Lagoon one? Can you give some indication as to cost? Was it a straightforward job to design and fit, for your supplier?
I was contemplating going straight to NV, the manufacturer that Lagoon use, to purchase one at a considerable cost saving to that in the Lagoon price-list. But I have taken notice of your comments about quality - are they really that poor?
Old 02-07-2010, 10:39   #100

Hi Nikki-M

The enclosure I have covers the top of the helm station an wraps the entire cockpit with a series of panel. I have only seen pictures of the enclosure that comes from Lagoon. The vinal windows that I have are much thicker (they can not be roled up) and the canvas seems more sturdy. I will keep the cover at te helm station on and the two the two pieces at the helm station facing forward on year round and install the other panels as the weather turns cooler. I have also had two outlets from the diesel heater installed in the cockpit to keep it warm/

I can't say how much it cost as it was part of the entire package. I can say that the dealer saw the set up from Lagoon and advised that this is why they had a custom job done in Vancouver. I must say I am impressed wit the work that was done. I would not hesitate in having custom work if you have a good canvas worker. I was advised after the fact that we had the best company in Vancouver and it shows.

As to fit, they have had to do some adjustments such as putting in window in the top of the helm station cover. Apparently the canvas worker is not a sailor and does not understand why you would need to look up at the sails. Other then that the work is very good quality.

In the long run (once the helm cover has weathered) I will probably replace it with figerglass and install proper glass rather then plastic. Hoeefully that will be a long time from now as the cruising budget is rather taxed.

I would post pictures however we pulled off the cockpit cover as soon as it was installed (nice weather) and it is now in storage.

Bman
Old 02-07-2010, 17:16   #101

Garold, what a good idea, these aids can be so usefull well done, after mine arrives I think I will do the same thing , the electronic world moves so quickly and improves all the time.
Regards Peter
Old 03-07-2010, 22:08   #102

Lagoon 400 Engine size for tender

What is everyones thoughts on the most appropriate HP engine size for the tender on the Lagoon 400? Anybody got any firm thoughts, weight is a important issue, the 20hp and the 15hp Honda weighs 46.5 kg the 10 and 8 hp weights 42 kg the 5 hp 27kg. The tender in my package is a 3.4 Caribe rib with a 20 hp Honda, came as promotional package.
Thanks in advance.Regards Peter
Old 04-07-2010, 08:10   #103

Hello Peter

We have a Yamaha 8 hp (3k kg - 83 lbs) with a Aquapro aluminum bottom dinghy. I didn't see the need for 20 hp. 8hp most us a long at a good pace. I was advised by a local charter company that both the Yamaha and the Aqapro dinghy were bullit proof and I went with their recomendations.

One issue is how the dinghy attaches to the davits (used for lifting the dinghy) you are unable to adjust the angle of the davit poles and the attaching points on the dinghy are at an angle to the davits such that when you raise the dinghy the lines can override. We have fabricated a bridle to make the angles straigher and this works fine. I am however looking into having a new attachment point welded on the dinghy so that we don't need a bridle.

I am uncertain if the problem with the davits that I have had will occur with the dinghy setup that you are looking at. It is worth finding out about in my opinion.

bman
Old 04-07-2010, 10:54   #104

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikki-m View Post
Hi bman,
With regard to your cockpit cover, was this made to the same style as the Lagoon one? Can you give some indication as to cost? Was it a straightforward job to design and fit, for your supplier?
I was contemplating going straight to NV, the manufacturer that Lagoon use, to purchase one at a considerable cost saving to that in the Lagoon price-list. But I have taken notice of your comments about quality - are they really that poor?
I had the same idea, and approached the guys on the NV stand at the Paris Boat Show, and they told me that they would not deal with a private purchaser.

I may have just been unlucky with an unhelpful stand worker but whilst the guy was happy to show the pictures of the canopy that they made, they were not interested in any kind of purchasing discussion.

So, good luck.

Cheers

Garold
Old 04-07-2010, 12:54   #105

What are NV doing at a public boat show, if they don't want to deal with the public?
Their website www.nvequipment.com suggests differently.
However, it was actually Graham's (Ancasta) idea to purchase directly from NV - perhaps he can obtain the covers for you, as he offered to do for me.
My supplier has indicated that he can source the items for a 20% discount on retail cost. These items include the cockpit covers, steering position frame and covers, and cockpit seating.

Tags
lagoon, lagoon 400