Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Manufacturers Forums > Lagoon Catamarans
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-06-2017, 21:00   #16

Boat: L42
Re: Lagoon 400 or 42 for long term circumnavigating

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulinOz View Post
The factory presentation on the new L50 was very interesting, pity I did not ask about the new L40 presentation.
Have you heard if the new models are to be out later this year in the fall or next? Their press release sounded like it was "Next Fall" but its hard to believe it that far out.

The 400 is my current favorite, but like all things its a compromise and far from perfect. Neither the 400 or the NEW L42 is a Ferrari, based on everything I have seen I would not use the performance under sail between the two to make my decision as they are probably very close if loaded.

Many other criteria to consider if heading for bluewater, although I suspect most of these sold are for charter or weekend use.
Steve_C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2017, 02:39   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by StuM View Post
Duh! Lagoon produced 51 "Lagoon 42"s from 1990-1994.

Lagoon catamarans : building, sale and chartering of luxury cruising catamarans

LAGOON 42 sailboat specifications and details on sailboatdata.com

Now they've introduced a completely different cat with the same designation

The Multihull Dynamics figures I quoted above are obviously for that old Lagoon 42.

Based on the actual numbers for the new Lagoon 42, I'd guess it doesn't sail nearly as well as the 400.
That explains it, Stu! For a while there I thought you may be partaking in the local Gunga.

Whilst there are many positive aspects of Lagoon evolution, the performance side of things seems to be slipping. Your contrast between the early 90s "42" and the current model "42" illustrates this point clearly.
tuskie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2017, 11:35   #18

Boat: Lagoon 450 F

Load carrying capacity was one of the reasons we ended up with a 450 over the lighter boats.

Some subscribe to the minimalist approach for gear on a yacht, we aren't one of them I'm afraid !.

I understand the concern with the flybridge and communication, this was something we agonised over for AGES. And at one point discounted flybridge boats.

In the end however, the 'living' arrangements at anchor / harbour at so much nicer and we figure we can deal with the 'sea time' issues for communication. I see us spending FAR more time NOT sailing, than sailing. That said, I believe the sailing part has to be safe etc, which I feel the 450 is.

Rgds

Mark
Catapault is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2017, 11:56   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catapault View Post
Load carrying capacity was one of the reasons we ended up with a 450 over the lighter boats.

Some subscribe to the minimalist approach for gear on a yacht, we aren't one of them I'm afraid !.

I understand the concern with the flybridge and communication, this was something we agonised over for AGES. And at one point discounted flybridge boats.

In the end however, the 'living' arrangements at anchor / harbour at so much nicer and we figure we can deal with the 'sea time' issues for communication. I see us spending FAR more time NOT sailing, than sailing. That said, I believe the sailing part has to be safe etc, which I feel the 450 is.

Rgds

Mark
Hi Mark,

If you were going to purchase a new 450 would you opt for the Sport top? or stick with the flybridge?

Thanks,
Old 03-06-2017, 21:01   #20

Boat: 2017 Lagoon 42 Catamaran

From my limited coastal cruising, I love the Lagoon 42. I have some videos on YouTube if you haven't seen them, waterworldcat has some as well and make sure you check out Scott on the off the starboard hull channel for the 400s2 if you have not already. I have no problem sailing single handed with the electric winches. If circumstances were different I would gladly set off for circumnavigation in it. The L42 CE plate shows 4440kg for category A. I think this is almost the same if not more than the L450, which blew me away. I would modify the owners hull If I was going around. The couch and desk there are pretty much useless. Also I will be putting some sliding storage benches in the cockpit. If you need to buy new, the money your save on the 400 compared to the 42 could be used for a lot of modifications though. Don't get the cockpit fridge or freezer. That should be storage space as well. Also look at used L440s if you are set on lagoon. Impi is having a blast in their L440 on youtube. Not sure where you are from but yachtworld has a few preordered by dealer L42s that have not sold yet and are available soon. Call the dealers directly to check on price for your delivery location. And most importantly make sure you get on a couple different models of these cats for a charter as you are deciding where to spend years of your income and years of your life on.
Water Dragon 42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2017, 03:21   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve_C View Post
Hi Mark,

If you were going to purchase a new 450 would you opt for the Sport top? or stick with the flybridge?

Thanks,
Now thats a tough one. I THINK I'd prob end up with a Sport Top, but honestly not sure now. The FB is very nice place to be underway, and easy for others to share it.

We did see the Fly bridge as a potential liability in storms / poor weather / crappy places, but now not so sure.

Ask my again in a Year after we've actually got some experience with it !.

Regards

Mark.
Old 07-06-2017, 09:48   #22

We love the flybridge. Even if there is sometimes a limited view at the stern, we do not want to miss it. Alternatively, for us would be a helm ok as it is on the Helia with several seating next to it. But not without. Problem with Helia and the others is that only the L450 has the wonderful (day)bed in the rear cockpit. And with fb the rearcockpit is larger, all the guests have more places to be or could be out of sight.
Ulstue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2017, 10:40   #23

Good thing about the 450 S, is there is no real impact on the Cockpit compared to the FB version.

You loose the External fridge / cupboard area, for the stairs going up, but other than that, no real impact. The seat is wide enough for two to sit at comfortably from what I can see. The day lounge dosn't seem to be affected.

However, that is still not the 4-5 people can put on the Flybridge and still be fine !.

But it would prob be a tough call.

Regards

Mark.
Old 07-06-2017, 10:49   #24

I spent some time on the 450S at Annapolis last year and my only real complaint was that the helm seat was shallow. I am 6'4" and it was not as comfortable as the seat on the FB. I actually much preferred the helm at the Helia. If I could remove the seat and replace it with a more comfortable version that would be great, but that would open a HUGE can of worms due to the way its molded in.
Compromises all around no matter
Old 08-06-2017, 04:35   #25
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Fountain Pajot, He'lia 44
Send a message via Skype™ to Gordon

Time to wander over to another stand and have a closer look at the FP He'lia 44....[emoji6]
Gordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2017, 07:00   #26

Boat: Lagoon 450 Flybridge

Hi Jesse

I was going down the path of buying a new 450 Sportop. I discounted the 42 based on storage issues, small fresh water capacity if generator fitted etc. Looks good at boatshows, and probably a great cat for a week or two stay. However, I would chose a 40 over the 42 anyday.

Have you considered a second hand 421? I sailed one from Croatia to Turkey and in my opinion this is the ideal Lagoon for couples. Heaps of storage, with 3 massive lockers in front of the cabin capable of storing big fenders and folding bicycles. Owners version best.

Last year, I ended up buying a near new owners version 450 flybridge, which we have now been cruising on for 4 weeks, 5 months to go before winter :-). Lots of storage and entertainment areas.

My wife and I have been sailing with 1 other capable sailor (and his wife who does no sailing) and we have not found it difficult to handle. My wife and I will sail alone for extended periods and are not daunted by its size. Normal condition sailing can be handled by one person - I met a German 450 owner yesterday who sails singlehanded!
anthonyp0808 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2017, 07:47   #27

Yes, the 421 could be nice - but it is the slowest of all in my experience. For that reason in this case i would prefer the L400 - well thought through and quite fast for a Condo, and similar space as the 421. (No opinion to the new 42.)
Ulstue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2017, 12:47   #28

I have now been on the 42 twice and back on this weekend. I may buy one but agree with issues re space and water capacity. I plan to resolve this by putting enough solar on not to need a generator and by changing the owners couch into storage.
TravellingKiwis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2017, 13:01   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by TravellingKiwis View Post
I have now been on the 42 twice and back on this weekend. I may buy one but agree with issues re space and water capacity. I plan to resolve this by putting enough solar on not to need a generator and by changing the owners couch into storage.
Suggest also look at cockpit storage / external storage. There isn't much of that at all on the 42.

That said, she does look to sail nice ! and the Helm area is good.

Can never have too much solar.... (power) !
Old 08-06-2017, 13:49   #30

Quote "Yes, the 421 could be nice - but it is the slowest of all" Depends on the amount of wind available and what sails you have at you disposal. With just the standard 2 x white sails it may be a bit limited.

PaulinOz is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
lagoon, lagoon 400