Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Manufacturers Forums > Lagoon Catamarans
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-12-2012, 10:14   #1

Boat: Jeanneau 49DS
Lagoon 400 Squeaks – Are these normal?

I have a 2012 Lagoon 400 that has some significant squeaks in both aft staterooms, not the only squeaks on the boat but by far the most annoying. This being both my first new boat and first catamaran I’d like to know if this is normal as I’m currently working w/ a boat yard to get these repaired under warranty.

The squeak in the SB stateroom is coming where the bimini support enters the deck; my first thought it was the actual interface between the post and fiberglass, but after further research it may be coming from the deck rubbing w/ the hull or hull liner?
http://svryana.com/media/SBStateroomSqueak.MOV

The squeak in the Port stateroom is coming from the floor near the bulkhead for the center head.
http://svryana.com/media/PortStateroomsqueak1.MOV
http://svryana.com/media/PortStateroomsqueak2.MOV

I understand catamarans flex, but since this is a new world to me input from other owners would be much appreciated. I'd really like to be able to use the staterooms for sleeping while underway
RyanC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-12-2012, 10:33   #2

Boat: Lagoon380 Comfort#637
Send a message via Skype™ to careka
Re: Lagoon 400 Squeaks – Are these normal?

Our 380 has non. even in bad weather.
careka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-12-2012, 23:27   #3

Boat: Lagoon 400

Some squeaks are normal on any production boat. I cannot state an acceptable level in decibels...
However, these should happen mostly in bad weather when the boat is "working" and not to the level of annoyance.
Our lagoon 400 had some squeaks coming from the saloon windows that dissappeared with time.
Old 21-12-2012, 04:07   #4

Boat: 38/41 Fountains pajot
Our endeavour cat squeeked and squeeled from the inner liner of the head rubbing on the hull. Our current AMI cat makes no noise at all. Our friends Voyage is also quiet under way.
Dulcesuenos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-12-2012, 05:29   #5

Boat: Lagoon 440
Send a message via Skype™ to impi
Sadly I must admit to have had the same problem when our 440 was new 3 yrs ago. It had become better with time but eventually I got a carpenter in to assist me with removing some panels and re-setting. It was worth the expense ... Lagoon thumbed their nose at us when we raised the issue with them so the expense became ours.
impi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-12-2012, 05:32   #6

Boat: CSY 44 Tall rig Sold!

Is complety normal ,after delivery a 38 premium and 440 to martinique, both make lots of noises inside , hulls work in seas , dont worry is not going to fall apart , now if you want to sleep get ear plugs, no kidding, i use it in the 38 after a rough Biscay crossing....
neilpride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-12-2012, 06:34   #7
Eternal Member

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Lagoon 400

my 380 squeeked in the aft cabin. I tracked it down to the timber wall lining being too tight against the fibreglass hull and the other timber linings. It squeeked badly in any swell. I removed the panel, trimmed it with my circular saw to leave a neat 1mm gap and it stopped squeaking. Sometimes the panels are removed after the factory to install watermakers etc and ar'nt replaced exactlly the same
monte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-12-2012, 06:58   #8

Community Sponsor

Boat: Mahe 36, Helia 44 Evo, MY 37

The Squeaks in new catamarans are almost always from wood or plastic touching gelcoat.

1) Start by eliminating the easy ones by trimming the wood with a sharp knife to make a gap between the wood and gelcoat
2) Next move to the harder ones and stand next the squeak and listen for a moment then start to press and hold things in that area until the squeak stops. Then cut to make a gap in that area.
3) With the most difficult ones you may need a two foot piece of broom stick or stethoscope to listen into the exact location from above or below.

Took me about 8 hours to get them all, but now silence is golden.
Cotemar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2014, 10:19   #9

Boat: Lagoon L400S2

Not a huge fan of anything that squeaks.
My 400 is void of any squeaks, so I thought.
Last night while at anchor there was a very annoying sound coming from the hulls. I was driving me nuts. It sounded like something tapping on the hull like a log or perhaps our kayak.
The repair was to close the bathroom door on the port hull.
As for sailing noise we are good to go.
Scottster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 03:21   #10

Boat: Lagoon 420 - Hull 52

When we took delivery of our new L420 in 2007 we had piercing squeaks from the around aft cabin doors. We found that spraying WD40 liberally into the cracks between the sheets of ply where they met eliminated the squeaks. The squeaks returned once or twice, but each time we used the WD40 treatment and the squeak disappeared. The problem hasn't reoccurred in the last four or five years.

Chris
Octopus, L420 Hybrid, Hull 52
Isle of Arran, Scotland
Octopus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 04:10   #11

Boat: Jeanneau 49DS

By using a stethoscope I was easily able to find the issues. Yep mostly rubbing of joints in the ply
Old 08-09-2014, 21:16   #12

Boat: Lagoon 450, Bavaria Vision 40

We had our new 450 delivered by a "professional" crew. Many items on the boat showed extrem stress after the 6-week delivery, much more than our previous 450 after 10 months of use. Some lines had extreme chafing, so much that I needed to replace the dinghy davit lines immediately. Also, we had two cracked bulkheads (aft of the salon towards the cockpit). Laggon service in Ft. Lauderdale re-attached them with lots of fiberglass. We have more squeaks and located a broken seam between a wooden small bulkhead on the front side of the cockpit locker under the large sun lounger.

So checking for broken loose bulkheads may als be worth while.
roetter is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
lagoon