Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Manufacturers Forums > Lagoon Catamarans
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-06-2016, 00:21   #76

Boat: Lagoon 380 S2
Re: Lagoon 400 Technical Notice - Nacelle Drainage

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuskie View Post
Great news!
Just had confirmation from Lagoon that they will cover the cost of a proper repair. The accepted quote is to remove water tanks, cut out rotten timber in water tank shelf and bulkhead and completely rebuild. Drain holes will be accurately positioned during the rebuild process.

The whole process has taken quite a while ; mostly due to a new Australian dealer being not as efficient as possible.
great!

I think Lagoon should step up and good any boat regardless of warranty. at least all affected up until they issued their technical notice.
that is what FP did with the osmosis. stepping up and fixing their mess
rabbi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-06-2016, 05:35   #77

Quote:
Originally Posted by rabbi View Post
great!

I think Lagoon should step up and good any boat regardless of warranty. at least all affected up until they issued their technical notice.
that is what FP did with the osmosis. stepping up and fixing their mess
Yep. I agree. I think FP is enjoying sales success based on their commitment to fix the osmosIs effected boats.

My L400 is right at the end of the 5 years period, however I've heard that they are fixing some that may be a bit older. So, it's good to know if you are patient and a bit persistent the warranty will be honoured. Lagoon has demonstrated that they stand by their products.
tuskie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-06-2016, 15:59   #78

Boat: FP Elba 45

Quote:
Great news!
Just had confirmation from Lagoon that they will cover the cost of a proper repair. The accepted quote is to remove water tanks, cut out rotten timber in water tank shelf and bulkhead and completely rebuild. Drain holes will be accurately positioned during the rebuild process.

The whole process has taken quite a while ; mostly due to a new Australian dealer being not as efficient as possible.
Well done Tuskie, I haven't got around to the drilling fix as yet as I plan on anti fouling around September so I thought on the hard would be better place to be drilling holes, so at this stage I don't know if I have water trapped or not the shelf looks and feels fine but of course it may not be. I note not all L400 are effected, but really good news that Lagoon are standing buy L400 owners as they should.
peterp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-06-2016, 03:53   #79

Boat: LAGOON 440

Like feebs post of 9th June, some advice on how to remove the panel in the port forward cabin to allow inspection of the inside of the bulkhead would be much appreciated. Is this attached with Velcro? Is it glued?
Thanks in advance for any guidance.
Savanna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2016, 19:54   #80

Boat: Lagoon L400S2

Drilled mine and found a geyser.
The water was clear but there was a large amount, 500ml perhaps.Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByCruisers Sailing Forum1467687258.240774.jpg
Views:	404
Size:	156.4 KB
ID:	127371woops wrong picture,

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Scottster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2016, 23:26   #81

Quote:
Originally Posted by peterp View Post
I don't know if I have water trapped or not the shelf looks and feels fine but of course it may not be.
I'd recommend that you make sure while there's a chance of a warranty fix.

Drill the drain holes as per Lagoon's advice and note how much water drains. Nil or very little water is good. Then, just to make sure that no water remains, try drilling a 10mm or so hole down through the top of the water tank shelf, close to the middle. Check that the ply is dry. Then insert a tube straight down into the nacelle cavity. I used my engine oil extraction pump. See if you can pump out any more water. None = good. Then try again over towards the port side, between the water tank and the port wall of the anchor locker. If ply is dry and no water is extracted; seal the holes you drilled and celebrate.
If the ply is wet, rotten or there's water in the nacelle; contact your Lagoon dealer.
Old 04-07-2016, 23:34   #82

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottster View Post
Drilled mine and found a geyser.
The water was clear but there was a large amount, 500ml perhaps.
Hardly a geyser! That small amount probably hasn't wet the ply wood so you may not have rot. Then again, being a Canuk, are you sure that the water hasn't frozen into an onboard iceberg?

I pumped out over 45 litres of tea coloured fresh water from the nacelle.
Old 05-07-2016, 07:49   #83

Boat: Lagoon L400S2

Ok I stand corrected,
I had a trickle.
Perspective is everything

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Scottster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2016, 16:38   #84

Boat: FP Elba 45

Quote:
I'd recommend that you make sure while there's a chance of a warranty fix.

Drill the drain holes as per Lagoon's advice and note how much water drains. Nil or very little water is good. Then, just to make sure that no water remains, try drilling a 10mm or so hole down through the top of the water tank shelf, close to the middle. Check that the ply is dry. Then insert a tube straight down into the nacelle cavity. I used my engine oil extraction pump. See if you can pump out any more water. None = good. Then try again over towards the port side, between the water tank and the port wall of the anchor locker. If ply is dry and no water is extracted; seal the holes you drilled and celebrate.
If the ply is wet, rotten or there's water in the nacelle; contact your Lagoon dealer.
Thanks Tuskie, actually that is a good idea a simple first step to see if there is any water, if there is no water is it necessary to do the Lagoon fix, probably yes as the problem may develop later.
peterp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-07-2016, 05:20   #85

Boat: LAGOON 400

Here is more on nacelle issue, which may be useful to some.

Mine, cant see any rot, however water in nacelle does not drain completely. There is around 2 L of water that I had to pump out. Water comes in mainly after rain and very slowly.

So, I have used plastic tube and highly soaking towel inside, and inserted into hole and on the other to nacelle drainage so water is extracted drip by drip and now drain inside 2 holes to pretty much dry state. This setup moves around 0.5 - 1 L water per day, based on some simple high school style experiments.

Tested it and worked fine. This may be better than just leave some water in nacelle. So maybe this is final state for my boat, or at least buys me time to check.

Has anyone checked whether outside 2 holes drilled under bridgedeck do good job of draining or there is still water in ? Else I will drill a hole and inspect.
arsenelupiga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-07-2016, 02:19   #86

Boat: LAGOON 400

Had another look today. Drainage works fine. Nacelle completely dry. No sign of rot that I can see from any sort of yoga poses & mirror usage. Thats that for my nacelle issue. Will inspect draining here and there and replace cloth if needed.

Whole area should dry more and hopefully issue closed for good
arsenelupiga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2016, 05:57   #87

Boat: Lagoon 400 (40')

This thread has gone quiet for a couple months; has anyone else taken their Lagoon 400 through the inspection, repair and modification process?

For those folks who ended up with water tank shelf or main bulkhead damage, how much time (or money) was required to fix it? Answering in hours of labor or dollars would be helpful; I realize if Lagoon covered it under warranty the owner may not have see a bill in any currency.

Why do I ask? I have a Lagoon 400 under contract. My surveyor found some rot next to the port hull by looking under the master head sink (it's an owners' version). He also found water stain streaking on the interior of both hulls by removing access panels.

Now I need to determine whether to complete the purchase and complete repairs or look for another boat.
cdiversions is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2016, 16:05   #88

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdiversions View Post
This thread has gone quiet for a couple months; has anyone else taken their Lagoon 400 through the inspection, repair and modification process?

For those folks who ended up with water tank shelf or main bulkhead damage, how much time (or money) was required to fix it? Answering in hours of labor or dollars would be helpful; I realize if Lagoon covered it under warranty the owner may not have see a bill in any currency.

Why do I ask? I have a Lagoon 400 under contract. My surveyor found some rot next to the port hull by looking under the master head sink (it's an owners' version). He also found water stain streaking on the interior of both hulls by removing access panels.

Now I need to determine whether to complete the purchase and complete repairs or look for another boat.
Welcome Cdiversions!

The cost and time for this repair seems to be quite variable. The amount of labour time depends on the extent of the rot, if any exists at all. At a worse case, it may require the whole lower section of the main bulkhead to be cut out and new ply glassed in. To do this the water tanks and their supporting shelf must be removed and later replaced. This may take a couple of week's labour, plus ancilliary costs. For example, it may be cheaper to do the work on the hard, as this allows better access for workers and equipment. So, haulout ad hardstand costs are incurred. If the rot is extensive, the shipwright may decide to remove the rig in order to prevent sag of the deck once cutting of the bulkhead commences. This will add considerably to costs. The labour rate, haulout costs, etc will vary enormously depending on where in the world the work is undertaken.

The bottom line is that the extent of the damage (if any at all ) can't accurately be assessed until the water tank shelf is removed for inspection. If I was purchasing this boat, I would make it a condition of sale that this issue is rectified to my satisfaction prior to settlement. The owner should be able to achieve this through a Lagoon warranty claim.
Old 25-09-2016, 16:45   #89

Boat: Lagoon 400 (40')

Thanks Tuskie, asking the current owner to pursue a warranty claim is an excellent suggestion.
cdiversions is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-09-2016, 01:01   #90

Morning Brett

My L400 is 2012, i carried out the mod myself (I trust my work !) and have sent an Inv to the L dealer for payment, though yet to see anything coming back my way !.

The holes to be drilled in the bulkhead lowest point in the front chain locker, is not low enough, at its lowest point to allow all of the water trapped to escape, there remains at least another litre or more in the bottom. !

I have fitted an access / inspection hatch to the top to dry any residual water that gets trapped in there.

I have checked the other day and was bone dry, but after our last trip, which was quite choppy and had a lot of slapping, there was a litre or so of salty water in there.

Inside the bulkhead on mine, it has been fully glassed and resined, and so i have no rot and feeling fairly confident that hopefully i should have no issues.

I have also sealed the through pipe carrying tubes etc and the mast foot beam. i have tried to upload some images, but not too successful ! Good luck. Neil
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG1320.jpg
Views:	407
Size:	278.9 KB
ID:	131770
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG1328.jpg
Views:	570
Size:	355.6 KB
ID:	131771
neil28163 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags