Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Manufacturers Forums > Lagoon Catamarans
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-10-2016, 02:17   #91

Boat: FP Elba 45
Re: Lagoon 400 Technical Notice - Nacelle Drainage

Quote:
Originally Posted by neil28163 View Post
Morning Brett

My L400 is 2012, i carried out the mod myself (I trust my work !) and have sent an Inv to the L dealer for payment, though yet to see anything coming back my way !.

The holes to be drilled in the bulkhead lowest point in the front chain locker, is not low enough, at its lowest point to allow all of the water trapped to escape, there remains at least another litre or more in the bottom. !

I have fitted an access / inspection hatch to the top to dry any residual water that gets trapped in there.

I have checked the other day and was bone dry, but after our last trip, which was quite choppy and had a lot of slapping, there was a litre or so of salty water in there.

Inside the bulkhead on mine, it has been fully glassed and resined, and so i have no rot and feeling fairly confident that hopefully i should have no issues.

I have also sealed the through pipe carrying tubes etc and the mast foot beam. i have tried to upload some images, but not too successful ! Good luck. Neil
Attachment 131770
Attachment 131771
Neil, did you remove the water tank to install the inspection hatch, and Tuskie if you are reading do you think fitting a permanent inspection hatch is a good idea, I think it is.
peterp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2016, 02:55   #92

Also Neil, how was the piece of wood you removed for inspection port - was it soaked through with water?

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
feebs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2016, 04:40   #93

Feebs, Peterb, I have fitted the permanent inspection hatch to the side of the water tank, where little weight is prominent. it means i can access whenever i wish. If you note my earlier comments, where by the drain holes suggested by Lagoon, can NOT be drilled low enough to allow all of the water to escape, hence you will always have water sitting in the bottom. I wish i knew how the water was gaining access ! Luckily mine is completely glassed inside, so not a real problem and i used resin to seal the through holes, however to get rid of any residual water, you will need access, hence my decision to fit a permanent access hatch. The wood i removed and the drill cores removed for the drain holes, the plywood was completely dry. I had to remove the Starboard water tank to complete the work, bit fiddely by myself, but doable . Regards Neil
neil28163 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2016, 17:52   #94

Boat: FP Elba 45

Quote:
Originally Posted by neil28163 View Post
Feebs, Peterb, I have fitted the permanent inspection hatch to the side of the water tank, where little weight is prominent. it means i can access whenever i wish. If you note my earlier comments, where by the drain holes suggested by Lagoon, can NOT be drilled low enough to allow all of the water to escape, hence you will always have water sitting in the bottom. I wish i knew how the water was gaining access ! Luckily mine is completely glassed inside, so not a real problem and i used resin to seal the through holes, however to get rid of any residual water, you will need access, hence my decision to fit a permanent access hatch. The wood i removed and the drill cores removed for the drain holes, the plywood was completely dry. I had to remove the Starboard water tank to complete the work, bit fiddely by myself, but doable . Regards Neil
Thanks Neil, I think what you have done is a excellent idea, easy for you or any future owners to monitor a possible problem area, bye the way where on the planet are you. Regards Peter
peterp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2016, 23:40   #95

Quote:
Originally Posted by peterp View Post
Neil, did you remove the water tank to install the inspection hatch, and Tuskie if you are reading do you think fitting a permanent inspection hatch is a good idea, I think it is.
I think it's a great idea.
tuskie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2016, 01:16   #96

Hi Peter, we are in Jersey, Channel Islands. Plan on finishing work next year and setting off to the big blue yonder. Might even get back to Of 👍😁
Old 02-10-2016, 18:19   #97

Boat: LAGOON 400

checked after 3 month how my $2 solution performing, draining water thru holes that Lagoon instructed to drill.

Both sides of nacelle completely dry.

Will add inspection hatches, just to be sure.

But I see no reason to do more than that.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture.JPG
Views:	261
Size:	62.0 KB
ID:	132194  
arsenelupiga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-10-2016, 06:26   #98

We are looking to buy an L400 and were recently exchanging emails with a broker in Tortola on a 400 that had been repaired for rotted bulkhead isssues under factory supervision. The Broker indicated the cause of water ingress was condensate from the salon air conditioner. He seemed to have in mind moisture laiden air being trapped in the cavity that was condensing back to liquid and pooling. He mentioned something about a ventilation modification for the A/C compartment to alieviate the problem. Has anyone else heard of this take on the ingress issue?
jdhorner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-10-2016, 06:30   #99

I know of 2 L400's that had the issue, neither had Air
Con. !
Old 14-10-2016, 06:54   #100

Boat: LAGOON 400

I do not have aircon as well.

I am sure it is rain induced on mine as I can see drainage working after lots of rain & wind.

I also found bit of water in nacelle after pressure washing boat for 15 min.

I suspect it is leaking window related but can't explain how.

Next time will wash only bit by bit and hope to localize better.
arsenelupiga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-10-2016, 07:03   #101

How did Lagoon address this issue on the 400 S2? Does it have the same drain holes from the factory?
Old 14-10-2016, 09:07   #102

Boat: Lagoon 380 S2

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdhorner View Post
We are looking to buy an L400 and were recently exchanging emails with a broker in Tortola on a 400 that had been repaired for rotted bulkhead isssues under factory supervision. The Broker indicated the cause of water ingress was condensate from the salon air conditioner. He seemed to have in mind moisture laiden air being trapped in the cavity that was condensing back to liquid and pooling. He mentioned something about a ventilation modification for the A/C compartment to alieviate the problem. Has anyone else heard of this take on the ingress issue?
Since L400 without A/C are also affected this explanation is most likely just hot air invented by the broker.
just some story that sounds nice to reassure you that it's been fixed properly.

This tells you more about the integrity of the broker than anything else. Bottom line: Don't trust anything this broker tells you.

Whatever people tell you this bulkhead is certainly one of the most important structural components in a cat and carries a large part of the mast compression loads. So you want to make sure it's been fixed properly.

Ask the yard and the Lagoon factory to povide some sort of warranty on the repair. If something doesn't line up (like Lagoon doesn't confirm they did the repair) just walk away.
rabbi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-10-2016, 09:25   #103

Boat: Lagoon 400

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdhorner View Post
Usually the condensation water is led by a hose to the bilge. Sometimes with a help of small 220v pump if there is a height difference for the water to negotiate.
If this pump fails - excess water spills all around and may damage a bulkhead.
meirriba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-10-2016, 10:16   #104

Here pictures of the finished repair project on the boat mentioned above. It's hard to see how they did the drain holes. It looks like there may be a drain hole on the starboard side, and one through the divider, but I don't see a hole on the port side.

The next pic shows the area beneath the shelf. The mast compression post sets on the shelf above the vertical member but does not appear to be centered on that member.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_1556.jpeg
Views:	266
Size:	15.7 KB
ID:	132859   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1533.jpeg
Views:	316
Size:	29.3 KB
ID:	132860  

Name:	IMG_1560.jpeg
Views:	271
Size:	20.0 KB
ID:	132861  
Old 14-10-2016, 14:30   #105

jdhorner,

your photo of completed job does not show any drainage holes from cavity like Lagoon recommended in their mod.

So unless those who completed this repair have identified how water is getting into cavity ( I don't believe even Lagoon have as yet - well at least they are not saying publicly ) and stopped this ingress, then water will still be getting in there ie it will pool and eventually cause same problem.

In summary,

1. rot needs to be removed

2. either ingress point identified then plugged or any water that enters the area needs to be drained before it causes rot.

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
feebs is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cal, lagoon, lagoon 400