Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Manufacturers Forums > Lagoon Catamarans
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-04-2018, 00:37   #1

Boat: Lagoon 400S2
Lagoon 400S2 Owners Version - where to place the forward scan sensor?

Hi everybody,

I have a very specific question. I want to install a B&G Forward Scan Sensor on my Lagoon 400S2, but what is the best place?

The tridata sensor is in the port forward cabin between the bunks slightly off-center.

The starboard hull is occupied at this location by the owners head and it is sealed, so no access to the bilge down below for installation.

The keel ends at the entrance to the head - tho there is no room for installation.

One option is to install it before the bulkhead in the watertight forward locker bilge at starboard, but it is very far upfront, but I guess it would be sufficient far away from the Raymarine Tri-data depth-sounder (other hull).

The second option is to install it side by side to the tridata in the port hull, but this is not advisable AFAIK, because the FS sensor can interfere with the depth sounder.

The third option would be to place it 2 or 3 feet upfront of the tridata in the port hull under the bunk.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Thank you very much!
CatNewBee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-2018, 13:39   #2

Boat: Lagoon 450 F
Re: Lagoon 400S2 Owners Version - where to place the forward scan sensor?

Cat,

Due to the limited range of these devices, you want it as far FORWARD as possible as allowed by the sensor installation manual.

Don't worry about having it back on same plane as the tri-sensor (depth sounder) as that has been placed suitable for its main purpose. You don't want to loose 4-5 m of distance by having it set back, when for small objects (like a chain) it only has range of maybe 10m. Personally I'd want all the distance I can get...

I can't find the install guide for the B&G ForwardScan PDF online, but based on other sensors I think somewhere on the Stbd Hull, in the Bottom of the bow locker, as far forward as you can get away with.

The only real risk forward are.
A: Not vertical to waterline (tilted due to curve of hull). B&G has an adjustment for this however. Check manual for max adjustment.

B: Sensors comes out of the water in use: IMO not a big problem as mostly these are used for navigating in restricted / tight places, which you don't do whilst bouncing around !. Still. A consideration, unfortunatly again, check install manual if you have it !.

C: You hit something and break it... More likley further forward, but IMO this is a tradeoff with effectivness.

I don't currently have a forward scan on my 450F, but will be getting one, and I plan to install it about 1-2m back from the bow (depending on install instructions on the one I choose), in the Stb bow locker.

Regards

Mark.
Catapault is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-04-2018, 02:45   #3

Thank you for your comments. I guess, this is a good idea. Will check the angle, B&G can adjust 15 degree +/- I read somewhere.
Old 21-04-2018, 16:05   #4

Boat: Lagoon 450S

Mine is located right beside the depth finder in the port hull

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Krabimike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-04-2018, 01:48   #5

Sounds even better. Any interferences with the tri-data experianced during usage? This would be the perfect place next to the tri-data, easy and quickly accessible and enough space for mounting between the 2 berths, also easy cable routing.

What sensors do you have?

Tags
lagoon, lagoon 400