Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-06-2011, 16:48   #31

Re: Lagoon 420 or 440??

impi ... that looks pretty nasty ? Did you request to repair just that area ? Seems to me pretty low quality if there is delamination at that spot.
Zonker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-06-2011, 22:52   #32
M&M

Boat: Lagoon, 380, 11.53
Thumbs up Re: Lagoon 420 or 440??

Thanks Impi and Luna for your reaction.
We do have some contacts with yacht brokers in Thailand and Malaysia (langkawi) but there's not much for sale at the moment. A 400 and a 440. The 440 was being negiotiated by someone else but failed the survey (we asked why but until now no answer.)
We will let you know.

People with whom we spent a week sailing on their ship in Thailand, just arrived back safely in the Med, after sailing in a kind of convoi from Thailand.
Seems to be a scary trick....

Best regards ,
Maarten.
M&M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-06-2011, 15:36   #33

Boat: Lagoon 440
Send a message via Skype™ to impi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zonker
impi ... that looks pretty nasty ? Did you request to repair just that area ? Seems to me pretty low quality if there is delamination at that spot.
Actually what you are seeing there is a double whammy warranty repair botched.
The patch work at the back o the photo was an attempt to fill a gelcoat pinhole that really wasn't that big - now a huge blunder as the guy doing the repair didn't know what he was doing !!!!! Can't blame lagoon for that but feel they could come to the party to get it sorted as we are concerned about genuine problems that deserve warranty back up.
The screw through the deck - was a repair to the shower door where the frames are sucking water from the bottom up and therefor rotting. An attempt to repair has been done and still not finished and when the guy put in the ceiling board - guess what - screw through the roof.
Lagoons assistance - not interested in talking about warranty and I can't understand why.
Personally I feel the agents are doing their level best and are really nice guys - never have anything negative to say about lagoon - go away determined to attend to our issues, only to return after having approached lagoon like scalded cats trying to explain why we will be left to 'carry the can'.
I also think Lagoon AS A WHOLE are really nice people but there is one stickler there (we certainly have come across) who makes sure we don't get the attention we deserve and puts the name of such a beautiful product in jeopardy by being aggressive and rude in his determination to not address the issues ..... ??????
Sadly we have come to feel like people
Who just moan all the time which is not the reason we went for this lifestyle in the first place..... It spoilt a lot of the excitement for us.
For the most part - the warranty work required on this vessel is minor but irritating to us who naively believed after a 'big spend' (we worked hard for the money) we would be treated like royalty and have all the manufacturing and installation defects sorted..... Currently trying to do most of it myself.
Being someone who's nature of business has involved purchasing expensive equipment, I would usually be the kind of person who demands the attention deserved to back the product I buy, but I think it is sad to carry this over into a life long dream of sailing ..... And hey ..... The Lagoon 440 is proving to be a real gem of a cruiser, practical, easy to handle, comfortable and fast, reliable in extreme conditions, quality in build and a real home on the water.....
We have bare charted boats before purchasing the 440 and honestly can say - Lagoon is one hell of a good product !
impi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-06-2011, 15:38   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by M&M
Thanks Impi and Luna for your reaction.
We do have some contacts with yacht brokers in Thailand and Malaysia (langkawi) but there's not much for sale at the moment. A 400 and a 440. The 440 was being negiotiated by someone else but failed the survey (we asked why but until now no answer.)
We will let you know.

People with whom we spent a week sailing on their ship in Thailand, just arrived back safely in the Med, after sailing in a kind of convoi from Thailand.
Seems to be a scary trick....

Best regards ,
Maarten.
You could perhaps try Just Catamarans in Fort Lauderdale as well - Kent.
Old 18-06-2011, 08:00   #35

Location: Cruising the Caribbean, Rio Dulce, Guatemala during Hurricane season 2012
Boat: FP Orana 44

My wife and I drove 1500km to the Lagoon factory. When we got there they showed us around in 5 minutes. We weren't allowed to take photos and they didn't even offer us a drink. We couldn't have been more serious buyers, but that behavior really made us think twice. I think they must be accustomed to dealing with charter companies not individuals !

When I was in Marin, Martinique several weeks ago which is one of the biggest charter centres for French boats, I saw many Lagoons. I am now in Grenada, the centre for long time cruisers in the Caribbean this time of year, and I can only seen one Lagoon (400)
Aluna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-06-2011, 10:21   #36

I suggest you buy a Lagoon 380. Relatively cheap, Easy to sail shorthanded and perfectly seaworthy. You also have access to many more lift out locations as most moving cranes can handle the 6.5 m beam. Hauling a 44o is a much more serious challenge
jonathanmills00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-06-2011, 01:16   #37

I have a 440 and have had it out in all weathers from short horrid seas to massive 25 foot waves, the performance handling and safety are second to none in my opinion, however i would go along with one comment here, LAGOONS after sales service is absolutley awful, even during the warrantee period they just don't seem to want to know anything.

In truth, I would go as far as to say that for the purchase of such an expensive item I have NEVER been treated so badly as i have by the supplier and the dealers are not much more help either.

Having said this I do love the boat, just wish someone else made it lol
penfriend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2011, 04:58   #38

Boat: Lagoon 440 Pathfinder
Wake up Lagoon and stop pissing off your biggest assets, your customers.most boaties at some point upgrade.
Would i buy another Lagoon? For the product compared to others absolutly.
For the attitude and customer service no way in the world.
What a strange position that someone with a $1,000,000 to spend finds themselves in!
dirkdig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2011, 14:33   #39

Hi guys - do not want to hijack M&M thread here, but also don't want to start a new one for one question.
I want to enclose the cockpit area, have the tracks etc. and want to fold the sides up for shade as an option, but can't for the life of me figure out what to do around the doorway - could any of you please send a picture or two to me?
Old 11-11-2011, 17:25   #40

My wife and i are about to take possession of our second hand Lagoon 440 in Maryland in December '11, after much deliberation we chose the 440.
Im an early retired boat/shipbuilder having built many yachts in various materials.
Why did we choose a 440?
1) We are experienced boat people and have no issues stepping up to the mark to sail her, the comforts, volume and style she offers attracted us big time.
2) Electric winches make trimming for my 5 foot 0 inches wife a snap.
3) Being able to see the bows and the side of the boat when berthing also allows Viv to drive the boat right to the mooring that's a huge advantage.
4) Twin 75hp Yanmars.....YES!!!! Able to turn in half her length (the boats not Vivs!!!)
5) A bridge helm and an inside steering station is fantastic. Pure rainy day luxury.
6) Being able to keep full sail up in 25knots to me shows her ability.
7) The patio (lol) with views and servery through from the galley is terrific, especially when u consider that most of the time living aboard is spent moored.
8) Being a three cabin version we can feel as comfortable as living in a small luxury unit with changing scenery.
9) A watermaker.... LOVE IT!!!
10)Hot and cold showers at the sugar scoops makes coming aboard after a swim a pure luxury.
And the AUS/USD rates just make buying in the states a no-brainer, being out of warranty is probably less of a heartache as i said im a shipwright and an Aussie, we tend to be bred with a can do attitude due largely to living on an island a hell of a long way from Europe etc..
Look forward to meeting all in the Caribbean from next year on Frank & Viv ,,, THE PEARL.

We will exit the US from Florida and spend 'x' amount of years there before coming back through the Pacific to Australia.
Lagoon4us is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2011, 18:27   #41

Boat: Lagoon 440 Pathfinder
Congrats,
Awesome boat you will love it
dirkdig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2011, 03:59   #42

Location: Cruising the Caribbean, Rio Dulce, Guatemala during Hurricane season 2012
Boat: FP Orana 44
Re: Lagoon 420 or 440 ?

Congratulations, you made a good choice.

See you in the Caribbean !

Aluna
Aluna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2011, 08:58   #43

Re: Lagoon 420 or 440 ?

I don't own a 440 but spent 10 days on one recently and here is my thoughts of the experience. I didn't like the generator location. The thing was noisy, smelled up the owners cabin etc. In the 450, they have located it up front albeit on the starboard side but still up front. On an owners version why wouldn't they locate that thing in the front port hull as far away from the owners suite as possible? We wanted to have the air conditioning on at night and the smell and noise were too much. I felt it was a pain to walk around the stern area of the boat. I kept hitting my head on the cockpit roof when I would lower the dingy. Again, they seem to have redesigned the rear walkway on the 450 so that this is not a problem. At the flybridge, I have to agree about the location of the chart plotter. It is in a really lousy location and hard to read - fixed on the 450. This was a 2008 owner version and the interior woodwork seemed to be plastic laminate and the edges were peeling off in a few spots. The 450 uses real wood ( I think). The seat that is fixed to the floor in the salon takes up too much room and I hated that being there - gone on the 450. The heads in the port hull where you just shower in the entire room and spray water all over the place have also been dealt with on the 450. Each has an enclosed dedicated shower area. The side deck area on the 440 is not flat so more attention to where you walk is needed - 450 the decks are all flat. As you can see, a lot of my gripes about the 440 and these are very little gripes indeed have been in my opinion resolved on the 450. The head liner in the salon, and just the interior in general on the 450 is much nicer. I felt the 440 was very easy to sail and I am a complete novice. We too loved the flybridge and the front seating area by the tramps is wonderful. The nice thing about these boats is that there is so many separate usable living area's that you really can "get away" if you want for a while. I chartered a Catana 50 recently and I wouldn't even consider buying one of those. I hated the layout period! The whole intent of chartering the 440 was to see if this was a boat we would like to own and the answer is no only because I want a 450 instead. If the 450 didn't exist, I would choose the 440. Spend a week or 2 on the boats you are looking at. That will make up your mind in a hurry.
Dakota450 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2011, 12:43   #44

We are all cleared and set to depart Cape town on our 440 across the Atlantic to Brazil an then Carib - departing this week.
Absolutely thrilled with our 440 and entire boat set up is working like a charm!!!!
Been at anchor testing all systems for a month now - really fantastic and our anchor did not let us down once
Sailors here have fallen in love with the boat and this is a true home on the ocean. Let's see how she crosses the Atlantic - some fairly stiff winds predicted for the week ahead.
Old 12-11-2011, 12:56   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dakota450
I don't own a 440 but spent 10 days on one recently and here is my thoughts of the experience. I didn't like the generator location. The thing was noisy, smelled up the owners cabin etc. In the 450, they have located it up front albeit on the starboard side but still up front. On an owners version why wouldn't they locate that thing in the front port hull as far away from the owners suite as possible? We wanted to have the air conditioning on at night and the smell and noise were too much. I felt it was a pain to walk around the stern area of the boat. I kept hitting my head on the cockpit roof when I would lower the dingy. Again, they seem to have redesigned the rear walkway on the 450 so that this is not a problem. At the flybridge, I have to agree about the location of the chart plotter. It is in a really lousy location and hard to read - fixed on the 450. This was a 2008 owner version and the interior woodwork seemed to be plastic laminate and the edges were peeling off in a few spots. The 450 uses real wood ( I think). The seat that is fixed to the floor in the salon takes up too much room and I hated that being there - gone on the 450. The heads in the port hull where you just shower in the entire room and spray water all over the place have also been dealt with on the 450. Each has an enclosed dedicated shower area. The side deck area on the 440 is not flat so more attention to where you walk is needed - 450 the decks are all flat. As you can see, a lot of my gripes about the 440 and these are very little gripes indeed have been in my opinion resolved on the 450. The head liner in the salon, and just the interior in general on the 450 is much nicer. I felt the 440 was very easy to sail and I am a complete novice. We too loved the flybridge and the front seating area by the tramps is wonderful. The nice thing about these boats is that there is so many separate usable living area's that you really can "get away" if you want for a while. I chartered a Catana 50 recently and I wouldn't even consider buying one of those. I hated the layout period! The whole intent of chartering the 440 was to see if this was a boat we would like to own and the answer is no only because I want a 450 instead. If the 450 didn't exist, I would choose the 440. Spend a week or 2 on the boats you are looking at. That will make up your mind in a hurry.
I hear you Dakota - we chose not to wait for the 450 and rather buy one of the last 440's produced. A friend of mine did exactly the same thing and we are both ecstatic we did so.
One immediate example: if you have sailed in rough weather, you would immediately have recognised the benefit of the fuller closed roof above the patio which remains dry in virtually all sea conditions. Not so with the 450 but hey ... Everyone to his own choice. Sounds like you got a rough boat. 100% on the guest bathrooms ..... But then our owner bathroom is huge.
We added a stainless rail from the stair to the bridge for safer access in rough weather - works a charm. Agreed on the Catana .... Only when it comes to living on the boat. It is a fast sailing craft and lots of fun but we sold ours to buy the 440 because we wanted comfort, speed an a home with lots of light. Can't beat this !

Tags
lagoon, lagoon 420, Lagoon 440