Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 11 votes, 4.00 average. Display Modes
Old 05-09-2007, 07:25   #706

Boat: CS36Merlin, "La Belle Aurore"
An amazing thread. Interesting and informative. I hope it keeps going long enough for the prospective owners to buy their boats and report back on their choices and hopefully, after cruising a bit, an honest review of whether it met their expectations. It seems many are first time cat buyers so the decison making must be even more difficult without the experience of living on one. There is nothing like living on a boat to cristallize your preferences. When I bought my latest boat a separate freezer and upright fridge played a large part , something I didn't give a second thought to when I got my first boat. It's the little things that get you in the end, like a good chain locker or bottle stowage or laminate floors.
Old 05-09-2007, 08:13   #707

Vasco
Those are exactly the things I need to know! I have not lived onboard a boat ( except the research vessel when I was doing my thesis work) but have sailed extensively. Although many discussions are about the big things (sailing characteristics, hull strength, etc.) it is also about the small things. I know when I was aboard the research vessel, the greatest thing was getting used to coffee without cream and sugar (cream always soured and the sugar had bugs). I still drink black coffee to this day (some 30 years later). Any other small things? Places to put sunglasses, the way the rain sounds on the deck- those sort of things

This could be fun to hear the responses
Old 05-09-2007, 08:46   #708

Boat: Still have the 33yo Jon boat. But now a CATAMARAN. Nice little 18' Bay Cat.
Quote:
Originally Posted by libellula View Post
Vasco
Those are exactly the things I need to know!
This could be fun to hear the responses
I am glad to know that I have a long time to figure out the boat for us. Well........maybe. Probably never since as savings increase then so does the price for "the" boat.

But by then there might (certainly?) be another great leap in some technology/design etc.

That would actually be a setback.

It seems that unless one has actually used all the different cats out there(under different conditions too!) then perceived preferences narrow down the choices and the dart board with blind fold is the best way to make the final decision.
Therapy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2007, 09:39   #709

I understand but by rereading Hal Roth's book from the 70's- a lot of design features are enduring and the sea has a way of reminding us that simple can be better-
if you do not have it it cannot break! I am focused on buying a quality boat that delivers what is promised
so when owners comment, I listen even if they may be defending a poor decision
Old 05-09-2007, 09:49   #710

Boat: Still have the 33yo Jon boat. But now a CATAMARAN. Nice little 18' Bay Cat.
Quote:
so when owners comment, I listen even if they may be defending a poor decision
I don't disagree.

I listen to all and will continue to follow others questions and answers since I am not in a "serious" buy position yet.

Just wondering how I will arrive at the last "cut".

I suspect after narrowing down, it will be one of those "little things".
Old 05-09-2007, 11:05   #711

Well it is like the old joke which I cannot repeat here but says essentially that after careful consideration , you will buy the one that attracts you
means- most boats are bought from the heart not the mind
Old 05-09-2007, 22:44   #712

Boat: 40 Beneteau CC
Send a message via ICQ to sail2wind
420 Lagoons

People, I think this thread needs to get back on course. We need to tack back to a Lagoon 420 thread. Lagoon offering the 420 with diesels speaks volumes. The charter companies and customer satifaction, or not, will define the course of this boats success.
sail2wind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2007, 10:17   #713

I have found two excellent articles in Professional Boatbuilder magazine that will help people understand the Pros and Cons of the diesel elecctric debate. They can be accessed through there website. The articles are written by Nigel Calder, who is keenly interested in this topic. They are in the two newest issues that I think are 107 and 108

I would also like to make it clear that I am from the boat building industry and if you do not wish me to enter the debate I will not post any further thoughts.
Simon Slater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2007, 10:22   #714

Boat: CS36Merlin, "La Belle Aurore"
For those that don't know Simon Slater is President of PDQ. I'm sure your views will be welcome here, Simon.
Old 06-09-2007, 11:19   #715

Boat: Voyage 470 "SeaPaws II"
Glad to see you joining in Simon, as a past owner of PDQ 34002 I like to see your point of view. I sure did like the design for the size of vessel, my wife and I were sad to see it go.
SeaKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2007, 14:09   #716

I think the input from professional boatbuilders is very welcome. I mean who thinks about these issues more than you (well my wife may say I do but I am maniacal about figuring this stuff out).
Old 06-09-2007, 14:17   #717

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simon Slater View Post
I have found two excellent articles in Professional Boatbuilder magazine that will help people understand the Pros and Cons of the diesel elecctric debate. They can be accessed through there website. The articles are written by Nigel Calder, who is keenly interested in this topic. They are in the two newest issues that I think are 107 and 108

I would also like to make it clear that I am from the boat building industry and if you do not wish me to enter the debate I will not post any further thoughts.
Very welcome, but may I suggest on a new thread? This is just about the 420, not diesel electrics in general
Moby Dick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2007, 14:24   #718

Quote:
Well it is like the old joke which I cannot repeat here but says essentially that after careful consideration , you will buy the one that attracts you
means- most boats are bought from the heart not the mind
Something for the mind.

Multihull Dynamics, Inc. - Home
Old 06-09-2007, 15:17   #719

Boat: 40 Beneteau CC
Send a message via ICQ to sail2wind
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moby Dick View Post
Very welcome, but may I suggest on a new thread? This is just about the 420, not diesel electrics in general
Well put Moby, that is why I posted my thread about staying on track with the 420.
sail2wind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2007, 22:50   #720

Boat: Lagoon 420 -Avanga
The 420 is a great catamaran because...

So many negative Lagoon 420 posts, many are from me. Can the current 420 owners help me out? Will some of you post positives about this catamaran based on your experience? Time is running out for cancellation. Is there anything you can post that will help me go ahead with this purchase? The recent surprise displacement increase has put me on the edge. The payload just dropped a couple thousand pounds. It is time for the fine people that already own this boat to defend her. This is a 420 thread, so it includes the diesel version. Would the current owners recommend the diesel version? Does your silence mean you would not recommend her?
planetoftheapes is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
lagoon, lagoon 420