Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 11 votes, 4.00 average. Display Modes
Old 19-09-2007, 09:10   #766

Boat: Lagoon 440, Sea Of Love
Hi Sail2wind

Good question...We have residency and working papers to run crewed charters on our cat. I'm glad when people ask that as it makes me feel good that we did the right thing by getting them up front.
All we need to do is finish paying off the boat and we will be there and visit NY from time to time instead of the other way around.
Joe
sail4evr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-09-2007, 09:30   #767

Boat: Lagoon 420
Hey Joe. We'll be down there in Feb. The second round is on us.
Old 19-09-2007, 10:37   #768

Looking forward to it
Joe
PS What's your name?
Old 19-09-2007, 11:01   #769
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Research vessel for a university, retired now.
I find it strange that Lagoon did not install a 24 volt propulsion motor instead of a 12 volt motor. For a given horsepower, they are lighter and more compact. Providing 24 volts would be a simple matter of putting two or more pairs of 12 volt batteries in series. I would imagine the boat already has at least two 4-D or possibly 8-D batteries dedicated to the propulsion motors does it not?

Does anyone know of a reason why a 12 volt motor would be of advantage over a 24 volt motor?..other than having at least two batteries vs one battery?

I found this article about the hybrid Lagoon to be of interest: Multihull Maven
David M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-09-2007, 13:05   #770

Quote:
I find it strange that Lagoon did not install a 24 volt propulsion motor instead of a 12 volt motor.
What makes you think that they use 12V motors? Their documentation states that they use two 10KW 72V electric motors for propulsion.
BambooSailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-09-2007, 15:55   #771

Quote:
Originally Posted by sail4evr View Post
Looking forward to it
Joe
PS What's your name?
Steve.

If bvimatelot is about - round 3 should be on him.
Old 19-09-2007, 18:24   #772
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Research vessel for a university, retired now.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BambooSailor View Post
What makes you think that they use 12V motors? Their documentation states that they use two 10KW 72V electric motors for propulsion.
You are correct..my mistake.
David M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-09-2007, 18:47   #773
DtM

TTOL ???

Can we have an address please

daniel
DtM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-09-2007, 20:03   #774

Quote:
Originally Posted by BambooSailor View Post

10KW=13.41hp
no wonder the tub is so slow
Badgerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-09-2007, 23:27   #775

Boat: Privilege 435 Now Sold
Quote:
Originally Posted by DtM View Post
TTOL ???

Can we have an address please

daniel
Traveltalkonline: Viewing list of forums=

https://sailingjeannius.blogspot.com
Jeannius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-09-2007, 02:17   #776

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badgerman View Post
10KW=13.41hp
no wonder the tub is so slow
Why are you always so negative and agressive in your opinions to the owners of the 420's, are you jealous that at least they can afford a nice new boat, I agree the idea of the forum is to voice your opinions but you are like a dog with a bone and find your continued slating very tedious, admittedly she would not be my choice.
I expect that when the owners get to know their boats they will find how to improve the various shortcomings (that a lot of new boats/designs get until theyt are refined) having spent enough time on them and will find them very pleasurable.
I have a friend who has spent nearly £1 million ($2 million - great rate of exchange for us) on a new Discovery 55 and he has found many niggling problems, so I am sure these guys have very little to complain about with probably more living space at an eighth of the price.
ireaney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-09-2007, 04:04   #777

I think we can all accept Badgerman is not going to like the 420. After all - if you're looking for an SUV, you're not going to like a Prius (don't take the analogy too far). But I respect his preferences.

You also have to factor in the fact there is simply more going on which needs to be correctly understood. I believe Badgerman's first comment on this forum was to complain that the generator came on during a 5 minute motor and took an hour to turn off. Well - it's supposed to do that :
a) if you motor aggressively (and you might need to) the system recognizes the demand and puts the generator on
b) to avoid stop / starting the generator and wearing it down - it runs for an hour.
If you know this, you can easily avoid this. What was Badgerman's complaint is merely features of the system.

Furthermore, if the motors are used aggressively over an extended period of time - they would overheat. Not everyone experienced this issue as not everyone used the boats this way. But Lagoon have responded to this. New boats have forced air circulation to cool the motors and older boats have been retrofitted.

As more feedback (hopefully constructively) is learned from owners and charterers I assume this will translate into improved guidance to the next set of charterers so that the learning curve can be flattened.

Badgerman clearly prefers the 440. That is fine. As I said - I respect his preferences. I think the 440 is a great boat too. But for me, certain aspects mean it's not my preference.

Badgerman - not sure what your motive is (if you have one) for continuously making the remarks you do. You may not be creating the impression you seem to want.
Old 20-09-2007, 04:31   #778
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ess105 View Post
... What was Badgerman's complaint is merely features of the system ...
Any technical product review might discuss features & functions, and their attendant benefits or deficiencies. There’s not much point in listing a product’s features, without discussing the favorable or unfavourable aspects of the feature.

Critical analysis of a product’s features, is merely applying rational and logical thinking to product evaluation. When we think critically we are being active; we are not passively accepting everything we read and hear, but questioning, evaluating, making judgements, finding connections and categorising. It means being open to other points of view, and not being blinded by our own biases.

A example of a PVC Product’s FFB:
Feature: Titanium Dioxide Content
Function: Titanium Dioxide is a coloring pigment that gives Fypon PVC
its brilliant white color. The pigment scatters and absorbs ultraviolet
radiation from sunlight, converts it to heat and shields the organic
polymer from degradation.
Benefit: Fypon PVC will retain its brilliant white color without the need to protect the surface with paint. Exposed surfaces are not prone to chalking.
Deficiency: The addition of Titanium Dioxide increases the cost of the product.

A feature is any aspect, element, or part of a product. It is also the name given to that element.
A function is what the feature does.
A benefit is the positive outcome the user will enjoy from the feature.
A deficiency is the negative outcome the user will suffer from the feature.

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 20-09-2007, 05:03   #779

Hey Badgerman

When you inult someone else's boat to his face and in public like you are, people will be inclined to ignore what might otherwise be constructive comments and take anything you say with mistrust because you are so obviously biased.
No offense intended
Old 20-09-2007, 08:02   #780

Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally Posted by sail4evr View Post
When you inult someone else's boat to his face and in public like you are, people will be inclined to ignore what might otherwise be constructive comments and take anything you say with mistrust because you are so obviously biased.
No offense intended
I think offence should be intended, his comments are well below the belt and very unnecessary as he continues to be rude, I think he probably has some sort of inferioty complex or a chip on his shoulder.

Without prejudice and alledgedly.
ireaney is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
lagoon, lagoon 420