Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 11 votes, 4.00 average. Display Modes
Old 31-10-2007, 17:15   #841

Boat: Lagoon 420
Hi S2W. Things are fine with both me and Dignity. The qualified feedback I am receiving on my boat and others is somewhat different to what you and others have experienced/reported on boats fresh off their trips over the Atlantic. I don't want to get too much into providing second hand information but in reference to your specific comment, my last charterer reported that he used 43 gallons over 13 days. There's other facts and experiences out there that keep me very pleased with my decision. Whether people will come onto this thread and share their experiences I don't know. I think this thread lost it's initial "spirit" some time ago. There are owners out there publishing their experiences (Adventures of Sea Si is a good one) where you will find experiences different to your own and more in line with recent reports of experiences on my own boat.
Old 31-10-2007, 17:27   #842

Quote:
Originally Posted by ess105 View Post
You're making the assumption the skipper you're talking to is a reliable source.
Very true, The island skippers who work freelance tend to be an odd lot and often even leave a bit to be desired in seamanship.

George
sailvi767 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-10-2007, 17:28   #843

Boat: 40 Beneteau CC
Send a message via ICQ to sail2wind
Glad all is going well with you and Dignitiy. Too bad I had the experience I did, I was very excited about the electric engines, even flew to Miami to see the boat and meet Douglas. He is a very nice man, unfortunatley handled my situation very poorly. I understand he and his brother worked diligently to get the boat ready, but she was not. Any trips planned to BVI? Evan
sail2wind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-10-2007, 17:52   #844

Sorry - meant to say we're down in the VIs in Feb. Only for a week sadly as schedules are tight.
Old 31-10-2007, 18:05   #845

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailvi767 View Post
Very true, The island skippers who work freelance tend to be an odd lot and often even leave a bit to be desired in seamanship.

George
Not all - met some great folks myself. Just that the numbers you gave are not in line with recent evidence so I suspect whatever he was drawing his experience from was limited.
Old 01-11-2007, 08:27   #846

420 design

I went on the 420 at Southampton boat show a couple of months back. I noticed the bottom of the transoms go down straight into the water for about 15cm. ie where most boast have a stern that comes above,or just kisses, the waterline (when at rest), the 420's are well below. I believe the 'normal' design is to minimise turbulence? Anyvbody know if lagoon did it this way to reduce wave slap (at expense of performance), made an error on the displacement calculations or for some other reason?
Moby Dick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2007, 00:52   #847

Boat: Mahe 36 Wayward Wind
3000 miles on the 420

It makes me wanna head off to the deep blue wonder.
Wayward Wind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2007, 06:25   #848

Boat: Manta 40 "Reach"
I agree that looks like fun. One thing disturbing, however, is the shot of the instrumentation. The boat was sailing at 5 kts on a 120 degree apparent reach in 17 kts of wind. That seems slow. It is possible that the knotmeter or anenometer were not calibrated.

Mark
colemj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2007, 07:47   #849

Yup. If you're log is accurate to within 2 knots upon delivery, you're one of the rare ones.
Old 02-11-2007, 08:32   #850

The average is 4.46 knots based on 3000 miles, 28 days and 24 hours per day and by looking at it they didn't have a huge amount of wind, which also means (based on that average) that they must on many occassions been doing in excess of 8 knots, seems OK to me especially if they didn't use a gennaker etc.
ireaney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2007, 08:48   #851

Boat: 40 Beneteau CC
Send a message via ICQ to sail2wind
The 420 is not a fast cat, but very roomy and comfortable. We could only get 7 kts out of her on a beam reach with 18 kt winds, the boat recorded 5.5, my GPS read 7.
sail2wind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2007, 17:42   #852

Quote:
Originally Posted by sail2wind View Post
The 420 is not a fast cat, but very roomy and comfortable. We could only get 7 kts out of her on a beam reach with 18 kt winds, the boat recorded 5.5, my GPS read 7.
You should qualify "comfortable"......the 420 is comfortable with the generator off and not moving. You need to be in very very calm anchorages and not need A/C at night. Also helps if you like your sleep
number bed set at 5000......comparable to the mattresses in the 420
Badgerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2007, 17:49   #853

Boat: Still have the 33yo Jon boat. But now a CATAMARAN. Nice little 18' Bay Cat.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Badgerman View Post
You should qualify "comfortable"......the 420 is comfortable with the generator off and not moving. You need to be in very very calm anchorages and not need A/C at night. Also helps if you like your sleep
number bed set at 5000......comparable to the mattresses in the 420

Therapy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-11-2007, 11:22   #854

Hello,

My wife and I are very interested in the 420 hybrid. Where is the best place to charter? We are near San Francisco. Do you have to buy it through a broker? Who do you suggest. Does the price very greatly on options chosen. I'm trying to get a handle on what we can expect to pay. We are planning to live aboard after we retire in 2 or 3 years. Thought we should started thinking about the purchase now. I sailed for 10 years in my younger days, but out of the loop now. Any help you can provide would be greatly appreciated.

Regards,
preeves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-11-2007, 13:20   #855

Hi P,

I am slightly biaised when I say the British Virgin Islands is the best place to charter. I have an L420 in charter down there and the owner of the Martha R used to frequent this board and may still be listening. Either one of us, I am sure, would be more than willing to have you aboard. Send me a personal message if you want.

Look through this very long thread for some info. You'll see that BadgerMan is not a fan. In fact he chartered my boat and it evidently didn't match his tastes. I have received very positive feedback from later charterers. I'm reluctant to post the comments I have received on this board but I have made some of the feedback available on my personal website.

We also are planning on living aboard our boat when we can. If they meet your needs, these are great boats. Off my website (link below) you'll see links to two other L420 in private ownership already on their travels.

I'm pretty sure you'll need to go through a broker. I have experience of only one broker so I really don't feel qualified to recommend as I have no way to compare. The brokers do read this board so chances are they'll reach out to you.

If you PM me and provide your email address, I can send you an older price sheet. It won't be up to date but it will give you a good idea of the option costs.

Steve

Tags
lagoon, lagoon 420