Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Manufacturers Forums > Lagoon Catamarans
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-04-2008, 06:59   #16
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FastCat 445 Green Motion
Send a message via Skype™ to fastcat435
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark424 View Post
The Catana performance & stretch FastCat threads make me wonder what are the options for turbo charging a cruising cat. Say the L420 (or some other model) has enough space for you, but you are looking for more performance. Moving up to a larger model won't necessarily get you the performance you are looking for and is likely to cost a lot more money. A number of people have stretched their Seawinds (Hull Extension, Welcome to Siudzinski KatieKat), I also saw a stretched Privilege 43 in Tampa last year.

My questions isn't limited to the L420, but there is a lot of discussion about the L420 v L440, last I checked the L420 was heavier and less expensive than the L440. Could you use the difference in $ for a screecher and hull extensions? is that a waste of money? Would you have to do both bow and stern, would stern only screw up the balance? I believe Outremer is the only one that offers basically the same boat with a variety of hull lengths and performance packages.

The cost to lenghten the FastCat from 43 ft to 46 foot comes to Euro 12.000,00 per boat and this not including the architect or mould costs.
I found it reasonable for a 3 ft extension.
This includes an extra watertight bulkhead in the stern for each side
The additional weight came to 65 lbs but we have saved a bit on other parts so this resulted in a weight neutral operation for a nose and a but job. I am sure a surgion would charge more.
Greetings and a good weekend

Gideon
fastcat435 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-04-2008, 09:22   #17

I should point out I don't think modifiying a used boat is a bad idea. If you get a good price on a used cat and can modify it to suit your needs you can get a great boat at a good cost. Buying a brand new boat to modify it again just does not make sense to me. Buy the right boat in the first place if you are going to buy new.
sailvi767 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
charging, lagoon, lagoon 420