Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-10-2010, 15:59   #16

Boat: Lagoon 440
Hey MarkJ thanks for the confirmation on the "givem hell" Yanmar issue. Any thoughts on leaving the Saildrives in Neutral or Reverse?
smcauley440 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-10-2010, 14:10   #17

Send a message via Skype™ to impi
Quote:
Originally Posted by smcauley440 View Post
That is great information on the LED lights impi. I didn't know they were that good and will check into the exact part number so thanks for that. Really cool that they still work on the dimmer. That is one feature we just love! I am sure we have the two pin type bulbs so should be a snap! Did you have any thoughts on the SD and leaving them in N or Rev? If you want to chat more about our boats and keep in contact I can send along my email. New to this whole thing so not sure if that is cool or not! You have some good experience with cats and now the 440!
I checked out the SSB and really am debating if we should get one or not! The sailor 150 or 250 looks like it will give us what we need and when we get over to the Tropics and the USA, Sirrus looks cool with the Raymarine for weather! Also we need the more expensive SSB cause we are in the Eastern Med for the year! With all the equipment it seems to priced about the same as the 150! Am I missing something?
I will try again - just wrote a lengthy response and the internet kicked me out.
There are many debates regarding props being gear or not on the forum. Personally I leave them locked as on my vessel there is a bit of an irritating vibration if I leave them in freewheel, and I honestly cant tell the difference in speed.
The SSB - Interesting! In South AFrica, we are looking at about R 30,000 (divide by 7 for US$) whereas the 150 is about R50,000.00.
What wireless reciever are you using for internet near shore and what distance does it get?
Today I had Raymarine on the vessel - it appears there is an upgrade to version 3.03 software which should sort out the problem with the ST70's. Also the AIS is being checked - it has to operate on Nema 3 )???
This should take care of the soft button key problem I have on the plotter (E120) inside the cabin which has some features 'greyed out'.
I also had Harken on the vessel - the track car (main) has pulleys that are chafing against the car pulleys. There is now a new type out which Harken have made available. It seems the existing car is a problem in it's configuration on the lagoon 440 - where the stainless pulleys on the car are starting to bend ... so I will be replacing that car and hopefully get reimbursed by the agents.
My email is earthmoving@hotmail.com
Regards
Brent
impi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-10-2010, 06:54   #18

Boat: Maverick 400 Catamaran
Hi Brent

Can you explain the battcar issue in a bit more detail, I have one on Catarina and am wanting to check to see if mine is the new one or old one.
paulrack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2010, 22:58   #19

Boat: Lagoon 44
Hi Guys

Reading your exchange with interest. I bought a 2008 440 in may this year and spent time cruising around the islands in Croatia. She is there at present and I'll continue the journey again in April. Lot's to see and as yet, unspoilt. I'm back in Sydney trying to stockpile more funds. I had issues with the Raymarine gauges but resolved but getting under the navtable and re-securing the blue cables into the socket panel. Raymarine have their own junction housing and movement can cause intermittent operation.
I also have 55hp Yanmars and 17 x 17 std props. I guess I lose half a knot by keeping in gear but prefer to harmonic hum they can send off.
I'm currently buying a #G wireless router and marine aerial mast. With a local pre-paid SIM installed I will have internet, voip, email and fax at local costs. IPAD, laptop all connect wirelessly and no additional SIM cards for all devices. Is cheapest and best performance by far.
Does anyone use the bimini clear screen? Mine has gone missing and thinking I may need one. Also looking to replace one of the cabin main window privacy screens. A friend incorrectly placed a fender and we took a scratch along the length. Looks ugly on an otherwise clean yacht. Any ideas where I can source? The Lagoon dealers in the med lack a bit of enthusiasm unless you're spending $400k at a time.

May see you next season around Croatia, Greece or turkey. Also planning an atlantic crossing, (east to west) in 2012.
jamieL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010, 15:07   #20

Hi JamieL : welcome to the thread. I would like to chat with you further as we are also in the eastern med. send me an email: user name at g-mail dot com.
Old 20-11-2010, 20:34   #21

Boat: 440 Lagoon
Hope you continue discussions on here, very interested in hearing about the 440 as well, looking at a summer purchase.
VERTIGO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-11-2010, 06:46   #22

Welcome to the thread Vertigo! That is great that you are looking to purchase in the summer. Not sure where you are looking to purchase but I get updates frequently from a broker in Florida. Seems like a nice guy and knowledgeable. Here is a link to his site. Bill ware is his name from catamarans for sale He sent some listings last week and there were a few 440's for sale. Good luck with the purchase.
Old 22-11-2010, 02:43   #23

Boat: Lagoon 440 Pathfinder
Our 440

We have our 440 in Aust and if anyone is thinking of buying one os and wants to check one out just drop me an email, awesome boat and the best mix of all cat features.

Harvsurf@yahoo.com.au
dirkdig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-12-2010, 06:15   #24

Boat: Lagoon 44
Apologies for slow response

smcauley440
Sorry it's taken me so long to reply. I've been on a freighter as a passenger for the last few weeks.
My 440 is currently in Central Dalmatia, 60 nm south of Split. Planning to explore HVar, Brac and Korcula and Mljet in 2011.
Love to hear from a fellow 440 owner. Email is jamie.leggate@gmail.com

Just heard strong winds have damaged my main lazyjack bag/cover. I am told sail undamaged but will see for myself as I'll be there late December.

The freighter took us across the Indian Ocean. We had an abortive pirate attack as the container ship I was on was too fast and the swell hindered the 4 guys in the 7m aluminium skiff. Fed from a fishing vessel a few miles off the skiff raced to our bow but the high free board on the 75,000 tonne vessel must ahve been a daunting sight.
Anyway, the exercise has put me off sailing from the med to SE Asia. At 7-10 knots I'd be a target.
Interesting to note the joint navy patrols took 8 hours to response to our radio call. Attack occurred 400 miles west of Indian coast. So activity is not restricted to Somalia. Navy patrols seem to be restricted to the Gulf of Aden.
jamieL is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
lagoon, Lagoon 440