Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-10-2011, 13:21   #1

Lagoon 440

I have been looking at Lagoon 440’s for a while now, I chartered one recently and really liked the boat. In a few years when I am ready, I am hoping there will be several of the 450’s used on the market to look to purchase. I see that there are 4 pages of the 440’s on Yacht world that all seem to be in the 500-600k USD. I wonder how much these yachts really ultimately go for? Anybody have any first hand knowledge of actual sale prices and I also wonder how long they actually take to sell on average.
Dakota450 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-10-2011, 15:44   #2

Boat: Lagoon 440
Send a message via Skype™ to impi
It really depends on how the boat is kitted out.
There is a massive price difference between a lagoon 440 basic and that which has been kitted for cruising.
Also - is it a charter version or owners version. These are all considerations when looking at price.
Some things worth looking into apart from the usual stuff when buying a boat:
What battery capacity?
What mechanisms to charge the batteries?
What water makers?
What nav equipment is onboard?
What is on the mast? (radar, spreader led spotlights, horn, cameras, led nav lights - all need wiring etc)
What dingy and dingy engine?
What size motors in the cat? (there are upgrades at additional price)
What sails are included and what condition?
What electrics? (led interior lights, number of plug socket outlets, house bank battery monitoring systems etc)
Fuel transfer option installed? (moves diesel from port to starboard tank and visa versa)
Electric or manual winches?
What fridges/ deep freezers?
Ice maker built in?
Remote pilot control?
Generator and what size?
Washing/drying machine?

And the list goes on ......

All makes a huge difference to the value of the vessel you are buying
impi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-10-2011, 17:42   #3
D&D
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: now skippering Syd Harbour charters
Re: Lagoon 440

All true impi, but "value" is also often determined (even to the point of being irrespective of fitout, with resulting bizarre value indiscrepancies of one sale vis-a-vis another) by the seller's situation.

So Dakota, if you can be patient and you are able to move quickly and anywhere when the situation presents itself (a lot of big ifs!) then hold out for the combination of a workable fitout -- It'll never be exactly what you want --- and a keen seller.

Probably the most critical threshold questions are...
  • 3 or 4 cabin version? You can't retro-fit the layout!
  • are you prepared to take on an ex-charter vessel?
Lotsa 440's for sale simply reflects (in our view anyway) lotsa 440's were built. Our view is also that the depth of the market is a real advantage, both buying (plenty of choices) and selling (a well recognised product) altho there's no escaping the fact that a vessel sale is usually a slow process.

Happy hunting Dakota! We're extremely happy with our L440. Our experience also suggests, however, you should stick to used vessels as warranty support may not be one of Lagoon's strengths.
D&D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-10-2011, 07:53   #4

Re: Lagoon 440

I am only interested in the 3 cabin version. When I chartered the 440 it was a 2008 owner version and was in pretty bad shape. Not beat up, just neglected and well used. The few things that I didn't care for on the 440 seem to have been addressed/fixed in the 450. With the world economy as it is now, I wonder if there will be the same kind of numbers of the 450 built within the next 5 or so years as was the case for the 440. Seems that during the early 2000's money was everywhere so demand dictated that so many be built. Now is a different story. I guess time will tell.
Dakota450 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
lagoon, Lagoon 440