Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-03-2010, 05:14   #46

Quote:
am understand that 7 knots means 4-8 knots for extended periods.
No that would be averaging 6 knots. Sorry.....

Any level of control can be built in below. You can set up for night running, get rid of all white light, and substitute dimmed red. You can install a helm, wind gauges, nav instruments, and on extended legs you can spend comfortable time there in a raised captains chair with good view of the horizon and operate relatively safely.

As it is all relative. From the fly bridge at night you may well not see a submerged container or a sleeping whale either. You REALLY should be sitting on the bow.... You get my point.
Old 11-03-2010, 05:20   #47

Boat: Lagoon 440 Ainulindale
Back on track....
First hand, fresh info on 440 performance:
Year 3 Day 96 Passage To The Galapagos - Arrival! | LeuCat Adventures
Cheers!
Kirk

"The future ain't what it used to be"
Tom Petty
nodee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2010, 05:23   #48

Boat: Lagoon 440 Ainulindale
I haven't used the joystick extensively but it seems to have a delayed response. On the other hand, the autopilot steers the boat just fine from inside the cabin and the remote control makes it even easier.
Kirk

"The future ain't what it used to be"
Tom Petty
nodee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2010, 07:37   #49

In some of the 440's there's the joystick below and also throttles , so you can steer and and control the drives.In some others there's only the joystick , which I find somewhat stupid because why would you want to be steering a boat from below decks when your throttles are up on the bridge...?
I find the joysticks way too fiddly and think that is a almost a whole new process to learn to steer with one from that position , so I just ignore them.
J Ventura is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2010, 06:13   #50

According to sales-dude at boat show the intent of the joystick is not to provide a steering station per se, but as a means to avoid danger if it pops up while you're below and don't have time to get to the bridge.
Old 12-03-2010, 12:35   #51
One of Those

Boat: Catalac 12M (sold)
That makes sense.

How much do you use the rudder when docking using the two engines? All the docking I've done (Leopard 42) I used the throttles exclusively and left the wheel pretty much alone. It didn't seem to do much at those speeds anyhow.
Old 16-03-2010, 02:21   #52

Boat: still day dreaming
$25,000 a year on upkeep, that sounds alot, if i buy a 4-5yr old cat 44ft and do mantenance myself please explain where the $25k goes? ill b living aboard at anchor
robdyson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-03-2010, 03:17   #53

1~2% of new replacement cost. New? $650k so figure $6,500 to $13,000 per year average. Some years will be $3,000 some years will be $20,000.

And don't forget that new replacement cost keeps going up.

Where? running rigging, standing rigging, bottom paint, sails, electronics, engine maintence, generator maintenence, fridge, a/c, canvas, gear, cushions, ground tackle, electrical, hull care,,,,, it just goes on and on....

Quote:
Originally Posted by robdyson View Post
$25,000 a year on upkeep, that sounds alot, if i buy a 4-5yr old cat 44ft and do mantenance myself please explain where the $25k goes? ill b living aboard at anchor
Joli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-2010, 11:21   #54

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandy daugherty View Post
Owners of all kinds of boats report spending 10 to 25% of the purchase price of a boat on annual expenses. Some of us don't even want to know what we spend. My budget has two categories: Boat and "non-essentials" like food and medicine.
That sounds like a massive number-are you including dockage, fuel?
zarkmud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-2010, 11:52   #55
CF Adviser

Boat: Boatless, for now, Cat enthusiast
In the 2.5 years we've had our 44' cat, annual maintenance costs (which does not include operating costs like fuel and dockage) is running at 2% of purchase cost. However, the boat was in Bristol condition when bought and I think it is actually cheaper to keep a boat in that condition that to bring it back to Bristol from fair or good.

Included in this is the usual bottom painting, sail drive maintenance, engine maintenance, replacing worn running rigging, inspecting standing rigging, replacing pumps that break, sail repair, fixing gelcoat dings, replacing latches/hinges/gaskets that wear, sensors that go bad, etc. We have not had to replace any major system components, though. (Knock on wood, I really probably shouldn't have said that.) In the years those things happen (and it is just a matter of time), then the percentage will, of course, go up.

I really doubt that there's a lot of difference between brands of production cat or production cat vs custom build. These things are just complex machines that, if you're using it, are subject to lots of strong forces and bouncing around, all while in a corrosive environment. Yet, if you don't use it very much, then they don't like that either and corrosion really gets a chance to take hold without you being around enough to notice.

Really, nobody in their right mind looks at boating and cruising as a way to be financially conservative with their money. The bigger and more complex, the more they consume.

ID

Observations are gold; hypotheses, silver; and conclusions, bronze.

Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote.--Ben Franklin

Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but not their own facts.--Daniel Patrick Moynihan
Intentional Drifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-2010, 16:43   #56

Boat: Lagoon 440
Hey dirkdig: Don't wait get one! We have a 440. Sailed her in Beaufort 6-7. In the wrong direction mind you and she still went well. Once around the point and we were seeing double digits! Stability and performance in one package! Google the polars on this baby! Who says these cats are dogs!!! And when you get to your destination, the party will be on board you yacht! Yes there are faster better performing cats on the market no doubt, but if you are not a skilled cat sailor it can be a challenging ride for sure! Just my biased opinion!
smcauley440 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-11-2010, 16:22   #57

Boat: lagoon 400
Do you haVE THE TALL MAST OR THE 63 FT MAST?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dinocuri View Post
I own a Lagoon 440. Its not a slow boat. Average speed when I am cruising is 10knots. In a a 25 knot wind 12 knots is not a problem. Quickest I have had her was 15knots off St Peter Port in 30 knots of wind. She is desperate for new antifouling now which does slow her up !!

The raised helm position is fantastic. Its actually the best place to be when in rough seas.
Raleigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-11-2010, 02:33   #58

Boat: Lagoon 440 Pathfinder
We bought one

What can i say we love our 440 and are so glad we bought this model.
The other night sailing down the east coast of Australia we had it flying along doing between 11 to 14 knots for 12 hours.
Every time we are in a marina or an anchorage the party is on our boat and the lagoon quality stands out.
If there is 1 negative it is the attitude of lagoon to owners that once you have one they dont give a **** and trwat thier customers like an inconvience.
I would buy another tomorrow.

Thanks to all who answered this post

Dirk
dirkdig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-11-2010, 07:44   #59

Boat: lagoon 400
Quote:
Originally Posted by dirkdig View Post
What can i say we love our 440 and are so glad we bought this model.
The other night sailing down the east coast of Australia we had it flying along doing between 11 to 14 knots for 12 hours.
Every time we are in a marina or an anchorage the party is on our boat and the lagoon quality stands out.
If there is 1 negative it is the attitude of lagoon to owners that once you have one they dont give a **** and trwat thier customers like an inconvience.
I would buy another tomorrow.

Thanks to all who answered this post

Dirk

Dirk,

do you have the tall mast?

Raleigh
Raleigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-11-2010, 02:25   #60

Boat: Lagoon 440 Pathfinder
Mast

Yes we have the full mast.
We have a 165% screecher for up to 20 knots
A normal headsail and the original main which is due for replacement.
We also have a asymetrical spinaker which is really handy and a normal spinaker.
I prefer the screecher on the furler as its a bit easier to use even though the spinakers are in socks.

The asymetrical will get the boat to 10 knots by itself in 15 knots of wind if its not too loaded and the water say half full. You do feel the 900 litres when its full, a watermaker would be handy for longer trips to minimise weight.

Regards dirk
dirkdig is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
lagoon, Lagoon 440