Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Manufacturers Forums > Lagoon Catamarans
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-02-2016, 07:26   #1

Lagoon 450 - Navigation Pack B&G 2016

Hello,

I am very interested in purchasing a Lagoon 450 and I'm hoping someone would be able to specifically tell me what is included in the Navigation Pack B&G 2016. Particularly if a chart plotter is included at the helm station. I had a hard time finding anything online that mentions specifics. The broker is telling me the Zeus2 12 for the helm is a separate item. It seems like this should be included in the pack and that the salon chart plotter should be additional. Not both as separate line items on the price sheet. Any advice would be appreciated. Thank you.
Ocean Traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2016, 07:50   #2

Boat: L 450
Re: Lagoon 450 - Navigation Pack B&G 2016

Both Plotters are not included

I attach a PDF
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Lagoon 450 F B&G.pdf (237.8 KB, 840 views)
Darksyde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2016, 09:16   #3

Darksyde, thank you!!! I was never shown that diagram (spent hours & hours with Lagoon at the Miami Boat Show).

It appears the PDF comes from a section of a much larger document. Is it possible for you to post/send me the whole thing?
Old 17-02-2016, 09:25   #4

Boat: L 450

The rest is not in English.
But if you speak with your Dealer he should have the same things
Darksyde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2016, 09:28   #5

Thanks! We are speaking this afternoon to finalize a few options/numbers. I will be sure to ask.
Old 17-02-2016, 16:39   #6

Boat: Lagoon 400 S2

Since you are asking about advice, here's my two bits:

Critical items:
* Zeus 2 Plotter at Helm -- the whole system depends on this unit, you gain so much functionality. It is very optional at the Chart Station, because you can use a iPad and wifi GoFree inside for much less cost.
* AIS -- Indispensable for any long distance cruising
* VHF -- You need one no matter what, and this one is well integrated into the system; you can place VHF DSC calls from the AIS symbols on the plotter

Very desirable:
* Wifi GoFree -- very inexpensive, and allows cheap android tablets or iPads to act as additional chart plotters
* H50 VHF Remote -- so it can be at the helm while the nicer unit is inside

I think everything else is optional.

The Radar seems really nice, and it is a good unit, but I haven't found it indispensable yet.

I also got the WR10 remote, and I haven't really seen the value there either, it usually sits inside the nav table.

Sonarhub is for hard core fishing. Cameras might be nice I suppose.
Whomda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2016, 17:41   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whomda View Post
Since you are asking about advice, here's my two bits:

Critical items:
* Zeus 2 Plotter at Helm -- the whole system depends on this unit, you gain so much functionality. It is very optional at the Chart Station, because you can use a iPad and wifi GoFree inside for much less cost.
* AIS -- Indispensable for any long distance cruising
* VHF -- You need one no matter what, and this one is well integrated into the system; you can place VHF DSC calls from the AIS symbols on the plotter

Very desirable:
* Wifi GoFree -- very inexpensive, and allows cheap android tablets or iPads to act as additional chart plotters
* H50 VHF Remote -- so it can be at the helm while the nicer unit is inside

I think everything else is optional.

The Radar seems really nice, and it is a good unit, but I haven't found it indispensable yet.

I also got the WR10 remote, and I haven't really seen the value there either, it usually sits inside the nav table.

Sonarhub is for hard core fishing. Cameras might be nice I suppose.
Thanks for the reply! I agree, the helm plotter is almost mandatory, especially for a charter boat. Regarding electronics, we elected to do the following, while leaving out some of the bigger ticket items charterers should have no use for (radar, AIS, forwardscan) and will somehow find a way to accidentally break:

2nd H50 HANDSET AT HELM STATION FOR VHF B&G
B&G AUTOPILOT REMOTE
B&G VHF V50
B&G WIFI MODULE
B&G ZEUS 12'' DISPLAY AT HELM STATION
B&G ZEUS 12'' DISPLAY AT NAV. STATION
BOSE 2.1 LOUDSPEAKERS IN SALON

We will add the radar, AIS, and forwardscan with CHIRP and structure at a later time when we make the boat truly ours in a few years.

If anyone cares, I can run down the list and you're welcome to voice your opinion on some of the selected items. Nothing is 100% as of now and I am always looking for feedback. Hoping to send a deposit in sometime Friday once the contract is sorted. I cannot believe this multi multi million dollar company has typos, errors, and omissions in their contract package language, I was shocked to see that. I should charge them for the changes and strengthening their contractual stance (not that people buying boats want to back out of living the dream), but I diverge. There was a loop hole so big, almost anyone could possibly get out of deal right at the very end! Okay, I'll stop, it just gets me fired up. Dealer is quoting me a delivery to the Caribbean (not BVI) in December...quite crazy. Plenty of time to pick a name.

Regarding the B&G Nav Pack, dealer had not seen those pages before, but said he would check into it. Looks like that would be a very helpful document.

As always, appreciate the feedback, good or bad.
Old 17-02-2016, 18:24   #8

Boat: Lagoon 400 S2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ocean Traveler View Post
Thanks for the reply! I agree, the helm plotter is almost mandatory, especially for a charter boat. Regarding electronics, we elected to do the following, while leaving out some of the bigger ticket items charterers should have no use for (radar, AIS, forwardscan) and will somehow find a way to accidentally break:

2nd H50 HANDSET AT HELM STATION FOR VHF B&G
B&G AUTOPILOT REMOTE
B&G VHF V50
B&G WIFI MODULE
B&G ZEUS 12'' DISPLAY AT HELM STATION
B&G ZEUS 12'' DISPLAY AT NAV. STATION
BOSE 2.1 LOUDSPEAKERS IN SALON

We will add the radar, AIS, and forwardscan with CHIRP and structure at a later time when we make the boat truly ours in a few years.

If anyone cares, I can run down the list and you're welcome to voice your opinion on some of the selected items. Nothing is 100% as of now and I am always looking for feedback. Hoping to send a deposit in sometime Friday once the contract is sorted. I cannot believe this multi multi million dollar company has typos, errors, and omissions in their contract package language, I was shocked to see that. I should charge them for the changes and strengthening their contractual stance (not that people buying boats want to back out of living the dream), but I diverge. There was a loop hole so big, almost anyone could possibly get out of deal right at the very end! Okay, I'll stop, it just gets me fired up. Dealer is quoting me a delivery to the Caribbean (not BVI) in December...quite crazy. Plenty of time to pick a name.
Just one comment: I would think the AIS critical even for charter use. Did you know that once installed, you can track your boat from anywhere? Using marinetraffic.com (or several others) you can see live exactly where your boat is using the magic of the internet. And AIS tracks all the history, so fairly easy to see if the charterers are doing something stupid.

I would suggest that's way more useful than the chartplotter in the salon, where they can easily drop a beer bottle on it. And probably more useful than the Wifi, which they probably will never use (especially if you have both chartplotters).

Plus AIS gives an alarm if you are on a collision course with other AIS boats, a potential boatsaver for low attention span charterers.
Whomda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2016, 18:49   #9

I agree on the AIS being worth its weight in Gold. The ability to either call a boat or be called by another vessel by name is a very good thing.

Calling the Big green boat on my starboard side will not get much response, but calling by name will afford the most chance of being answered.

Also looking at other sailing vessels heading and SOG is a good comparison tool to your own sailing skills in a given set of conditions.
PaulinOz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2016, 23:37   #10
TOT

Boat: Lagoon 450
Lagoon 450 - Navigation Pack B&G 2016

Quote:
Hello,

I am very interested in purchasing a Lagoon 450 and I'm hoping someone would be able to specifically tell me what is included in the Navigation Pack B&G 2016. Particularly if a chart plotter is included at the helm station. I had a hard time finding anything online that mentions specifics. The broker is telling me the Zeus2 12 for the helm is a separate item. It seems like this should be included in the pack and that the salon chart plotter should be additional. Not both as separate line items on the price sheet. Any advice would be appreciated. Thank you.

We put our (Raymarine E125's) at both Chart Station & Helm if it's an owners boat l would still add both units as l do most of my planning and plotting at the chart station at night whilst anchored, it is a lot more comfortable then doing it at the helm.

PS - just about EVERYTHING is an extra on a boat $$$$

SV TOT
Wayne 😃
Old 18-02-2016, 00:08   #11

Boat: Seawind 1160 Lite

I have the Zeus 2 installed and the "go free " is not standard with the system, ...,that's another optional extra to make work with an IPAD and requires you to ad a wireless network router which you have to pay for additionally from B&G
Andrew Grace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2016, 06:54   #12

Boat: Catalina 470

Ocean Traveler,
You've gotten some specific advice here from some catamaran sailors (which I am not), so I won't ramble on..

But, since you came here for advice....

1) In my > 40 years of electronics experience (including installing/using/troubleshooting marine electronics over the past 40+ years, and running my own electronics firm for > 30 years, etc.), I can tell you a few facts of life and give you some sage advice regarding marine electronics...

a) It is the installation, wiring, connection(s), weatherproofing, commissioning, programming, and customer education, that allows things to work properly and reliably, and last a long time!!!

b) The newer, fancier, more complex, the "system"....the more fact "a" hold true!!!
{in fact, basic/inexpensive equipment that is properly installed, etc....will always work better, last longer, and make the owner much happier, than the most expensive / highest-tech units, that have been poorly installed!!!}

c) Most yacht manufacturers (and surprisingly, many of the dealers as well), are NOT very good at the above!!
They're good at fiberglass, rigging, etc...and great at selling....but not so good when it comes to electronics installs/commissioning, etc...
(although most do get the wiring in okay, most don't do much else any better than a trained monkey....and many not even that good!)

Please do not sign a contract without adding some additional language regarding your personal acceptance, as well as a professional inspection/survey, prior to delivery and final payment!!!

2) Also, you may wish to know of some who have had troubles getting detailed pricing, as well as issues with factory and dealer follow-thru, and commissioning problems...

Please do yourself the favor of reading these threads over in detail, before you sign a contract / write a check...you will learn a lot!

http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...ml#post1883554

http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...ng-150645.html

http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...ml#post1941063

http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...it-154646.html

Please note that I'm not anti-Lagoon....just wanting to pass on some info from some others that you may find helpful, before you sign a contract!

Fair winds...

John
ka4wja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2016, 10:25   #13

Contract signed and money wired!!!

I have had lengthy discussions with the dealer in regards to what should be done by the factory, at the base before charter, and then after when I take possession (probably in 3 years depending on revenue flow) and I agree with what a lot of you are saying. We were looking for a nice risk/comfort balance between our comfort for when we sail during the next few years and the risk of charter maintenance/repairs (not too little equipment and not too much). I think we struck a very nice balance and at what I feel is a great price.

Thanks for all the great advice, kindness, and taking the time to comment and detail what you think is in my best interest! Time is precious and for you to take some of it and help is truly appreciated. Thank you.

As an aside, you guys have any really fun/witty/awesome boat names you're holding onto that you wouldn't mind sharing? I'm a sucker when it comes to a play on words and think it is great....always gives me a chuckle. While crass, I thought Blow Me (for a sailboat) was hilarious.
Old 18-02-2016, 10:59   #14

Boat: Catalina 470

Ocean Traveler,
Congrats and fair winds!!

And, be sure to read what I wrote above, as well as those other threads....so you'll be better informed and ready if you experience any problems.

John
ka4wja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2016, 20:20   #15

Quote:
Contract signed and money wired!!!

I have had lengthy discussions with the dealer in regards to what should be done by the factory, at the base before charter, and then after when I take possession (probably in 3 years depending on revenue flow) and I agree with what a lot of you are saying. We were looking for a nice risk/comfort balance between our comfort for when we sail during the next few years and the risk of charter maintenance/repairs (not too little equipment and not too much). I think we struck a very nice balance and at what I feel is a great price.

Thanks for all the great advice, kindness, and taking the time to comment and detail what you think is in my best interest! Time is precious and for you to take some of it and help is truly appreciated. Thank you.

As an aside, you guys have any really fun/witty/awesome boat names you're holding onto that you wouldn't mind sharing? I'm a sucker when it comes to a play on words and think it is great....always gives me a chuckle. While crass, I thought Blow Me (for a sailboat) was hilarious.
Congratulations! I hope the delivery and chartering goes smoothly.

I would add another plug for having AIS, as well as the enormous navigation advantages, it may also be quite useful for checking just how many charters your boat undertakes. It wouldn't be unheard of having a paid charter not being put on the books!

My advice is to try to have your boat struck by lightning at about the time of your conversion to private use. I'm not sure how this is achieved but a new set of compatible electronics would be worth while. You could try berating the heavens during a thunderstorm while holding up a 9 iron? No, not even God can hit a 9 iron. (Old golfing joke)

Seriously, the idea of upgrading old generation electronics is not a good idea. Get what you want from the start and hope that it stays working, or else start over with all new stuff when you wish to privately use the boat. The concept of compatibility with older systems is espoused by salesmen but not always deliverable. And 4 or 5 years is old.

Regarding boat names; you could name your vessel after one of the famous Zarzoff family. Bluey, Rippy or that promiscuous Screwie. Just a thought!
tuskie is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
lagoon, navigation