Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Manufacturers Forums > Lagoon Catamarans
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-02-2020, 11:36   #1

Lagoon 470 request for information

We are dangerously close to writing a very large (for us) check for a Lagoon 470. We have an accepted offer and are in the process of scheduling inspections etc.
Are there any known weaknesses associated with this boat? Anything we should be particularly aware of when we are crawling over every square inch.

We have pretty much given up sleeping as lying awake at night worrying about everything has become a full time job. Under these circumstances do people recommend alcohol or does one go straight to crack cocaine? Just curious
thx
pig
Seapig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2020, 11:41   #2

Boat: EggHarbor,Sportfish,35
Re: Lagoon 470 request for information

Stay away from the crack,dude. Regular stuff is OK. Good luck.
landsend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2020, 12:51   #3

Make sure to try out the heads. I found them super cramped. This may not matter to you if yours is an owner's version.
fabgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2020, 14:14   #4

It is an owner's version. I agree the other heads are pretty damn tight.
Old 05-02-2020, 16:20   #5

Boat: Cruising Catamaran

Nothing springs to mind particular to the 470 that does not apply to most other catamarans. I presume you are getting a survey so that at least hulls are sound and engines run at WOT to correct temp. If the rig is > 10 years you should get a professional rigging inspection and also a marine electrician inspection to at least cover the high risk areas such as hi amp wiring sections and AC system protection. These are really to avoid expensive disasters, there will be plenty of niggle factors like leaking hatches, worn out silicon, gear drive issues etc, worn trampolines and anchor chain, covers etc etc.
Tin Tin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2020, 05:57   #6

The survey is scheduled. I am looking for a mechanic for the engine inspection. I have not heard of an electrical inspection prior to this so I will investigate that. Thanks TinTin.
The rigging is relatively new.
Once I have finished grinding my teeth to dust I will look for a dentist.

Is it worth re-posting this to a more general forum or is the paucity of replies related to the paucity of problems?

thanks
Pig
Old 06-02-2020, 06:42   #7

Boat: secondarily boatless

Hello Seapig,

We did 30,000+ miles on our Lagoon 470 hull # 50 (owners version) and we loved it! The design is much more suited to open oceans than the more modern designs - you have a long bow up front and a lot of hull behind the cockpit, so we never had any wave swamp us. It was built before it became fashionable to cram a 50 foot boat into 40 feet of length, and the idea of a flybridge also never appealed to me - it just increases the pressure point of the mainsail.

The question obviously is how old and how well maintained your boat is. If you have any particular concerns just let me know.

Oliver
Oliver L. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2020, 08:44   #8

Boat: Knysna 440 once I get my new dock and the canal gets dredged

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seapig View Post
We are dangerously close to writing a very large (for us) check for a Lagoon 470. We have an accepted offer and are in the process of scheduling inspections etc.
Are there any known weaknesses associated with this boat? Anything we should be particularly aware of when we are crawling over every square inch.

We have pretty much given up sleeping as lying awake at night worrying about everything has become a full time job. Under these circumstances do people recommend alcohol or does one go straight to crack cocaine? Just curious
thx
pig
Pretty sure the crack won't improve your sleeplessness. My recommendation would be a good dose of Nyquill
joelhemington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2020, 09:13   #9

Oliver,
Thank you for that. It is really good to hear that it is a well designed / built boat.

We are both vertically challenged so the idea of a flybridge and a boom that is thirty feet up was just a non starter. As you say, raising the center of pressure / effort doesn't appeal either and of course one is completed segregated from life in the saloon and cockpit.
Old 06-02-2020, 09:16   #10

Joelhemington,
I suspect you are right and additionally our local Walmart doesn't stock crack cocaine (yet) so Nyquill (perhaps mixed 50 /50 with good scotch) is probably the better option.
Old 06-02-2020, 12:29   #11
rom

Boat: Lagoon 440

I can't remember, is it balsa below the WL like the 570 ? in which case you might want a thorough moisture test. Other than a very bad surprise there, I guess everything can be repaired for a reasonable cost like on any other cat that size. I never sailed one but it used to be in my short list with a bahia46. I believe it is a very fine boat.
rom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2020, 12:38   #12

Location: Eastern Caribbean for the 2020 season then east coast or Panama
Boat: Lagoon 470 cat

Have owned Moontide for 15 years and lots of miles . Can't really think of anything other than normal boat stuff. Mine is hull 3 or 4 (1998) so she has different hulls. They used the Lagoon 47 hulls up until sometime in 2000. Your hulls are beamer and probably a little shallower. At the same time they moved the props aft of the rudders. Makes it much harder to manuever if only on one engine, but other than that I don't see much difference.They did that to be able to fit a 4 cylinder engine. I can only get the 3JH engine in.

If not already so equipped, I would strongly recommend adding an electric second winch at the helm. I can now raise sails, reef and trim the jib on both tacks from the helm. Best $10k I ever spent.

Feel free to contact me if you have any other questions.

Bill
Moontide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2020, 12:41   #13

Location: Eastern Caribbean for the 2020 season then east coast or Panama
Boat: Lagoon 470 cat

Replying to rom. My 98 build has foam core. with substantial areas of solid glass. Have not found any balsa in the hulls, above or below the waterline. (Think the deck is balsa though).
Moontide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2020, 03:26   #14

Location: London,Ontario, Canada - currently in Exuma, Bahamas
Boat: lagoon 450 FL

Yup Alcohol will do the trick, we took the plunge on a 450, same thing you lie awake making sure you made the right decision but eventually you just need to dive in and make it your own. You will have quirks and quakes but you will work through it

good luck
Larimar450 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2020, 03:47   #15

Boat: currently boatless

Gday Seapig, good luck in your purchase. I doint know if you are aware there is a Worldwide Lagoon Owners Facebook group that has a big membership. I dont know where you are located but ther is also and Australian Lagoon Owner Group (Lagooned in Oz - only for Oz and Kiwis Lagoon owners) Can I suggest you also post on the worldwide site as there is a large amount of information to be had on these sites.

Greg H
Lagoon 440
oz
ozsailer is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
lagoon