Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Manufacturers Forums > Lagoon Catamarans
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-10-2010, 01:34   #46

Boat: Lagoon 440
Send a message via Skype™ to impi
Hi Garold,

Sorry for late reply. Infact you didnt upset me AT ALL !!!
What I learned from all this is that we as boat owners all have our fair share of problems when it comes to warranty work and really it could be any boat (DEFINATELY NOT TARGETING LAGOON - I WOULDNT WANT A DIFFERENT BOAT TO BE HONEST WITH YOU) but it seems the way the dealer handles the situation makes it easier or less easier on us.
It's all the more reason to pay attention to how we structure and negotiate the warranty aspect into the contract before signing the deal.
Thanks for the input - you have done this more times than I have and it's GREAT to learn from you guys
impi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 05:00   #47

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by impi View Post
Hi Garold,

Sorry for late reply. Infact you didnt upset me AT ALL !!!
What I learned from all this is that we as boat owners all have our fair share of problems when it comes to warranty work and really it could be any boat (DEFINATELY NOT TARGETING LAGOON - I WOULDNT WANT A DIFFERENT BOAT TO BE HONEST WITH YOU) but it seems the way the dealer handles the situation makes it easier or less easier on us.
It's all the more reason to pay attention to how we structure and negotiate the warranty aspect into the contract before signing the deal.
Thanks for the input - you have done this more times than I have and it's GREAT to learn from you guys
So Impi, as my teenage boys say, 'we're cool then'.

Interestingly, but straying from the original post, I have recently had a warranty experience with my dealer over the last 7 days which may be worth relating.

I had an email to tell me that Harken had sent out a safety notice on my motorised winches. The dealer (Ancasta) contacted me to tell me that a small update needed to be done on my winches and they would forward the parts (as instructed by Harken).

I am very time-short and not particularly into practical work so I emailed Ancasta with the following reply.......

Many thanks for your email.

As far as I am aware, there are five winches (three of which are motorised) on my Lagoon 400, so it looks like it may be a bit of a task. Also, given that they are winches, it's probably a bit dangerous if not repaired properly.

So, it just isn't the case that I will or can do it myself. Please discuss with your salesman ,Graham, if you would like confirmation of my mechanical incompetence.

My boat (Sarassa) is moored in Port XXXXXXX on XXX and is there most weeks Monday to Friday. I would appreciate it if you can arrange for the necessary work to be completed by your yard guys at your convenience (hopefully some time over the next few weeks).

If there are any costs which Ancasta has to bear that cannot be reclaimed from Harken, I am happy for you to pass them on to me.

Hope this is all OK. If so, please let me know when the work has been completed.

I really wanted someone else to sort out the Harken winch problem, but properly because it seemed pretty mission-critical to the use of my L400.

Anyway, within 7 days, I received the following email.......

Dear Mr Garold,

I appreciate your prompt and candid reply!!

Our technician has been down to the boat and fitted the new parts for which we will not charge you.

Best regards,

Russell XXXXXX @Ancasta

And frankly that's the experience that I've had of Ancasta and their after-sales service. They could have just sent out the Harken winch update pack, but they didn't, and they saved me bit of bother.

And so I'm pretty happy with the after-sales service on this Lagoon 400, and my previous new boats, all purchased from Ancasta.

And I guess the lesson is, that you need to buy a boat that is built to a reasonable quality, but also you need to buy it from a dealer that can and will attend to after-sales/ warranty issues. And that applies to all brands, because none of them are perfect.

Sorry about the thread hijack Mehmet but I felt it had relevance.

Cheers

Garold
Garold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 05:56   #48

Boat: Maverick 400 Catamaran
Hi Garold

That is great, service like it should be.

Cheers
Paul
paulrack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2010, 06:22   #49

O.k. Gunboats are extremely cool but even a used one (Sugar Daddy - Gunboat 66) is priced at 4.2M$!!! Ability to make 30+ knots when it's blowing 25 is good but not that good!

I guess the best choices -price v.s. quality- are FP, Lagoon and Sunreef. By the way, Ancasta sure did what a quality service/agent should do, bravo...
MehmetCan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2010, 14:18   #50

Just an observation. Both the Atlantic 57 and the Sunreef 62 were at the Annapolis Boat Show last weekend. I spent some time on the Atlantic, I did not tour the Sunreef. But...the Sunreef was a massively larger boat then the Atlantic although they are both in the 60 foot range. I would not call the Atlantic minimalist but is sure looked that way compared to the Sunreef. I would guess the Lagoon would appear as large or larger then the Sunreef.
Joli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2010, 14:28   #51

I was at the Cape Town boat show this week and looked at the VISION 450 catamaran. Guys, despite warranty issues, I AM in love with my Lagoon 440 but I must say ...... That vision 450 has MASSIVE space internally, is VERY nicely finished off and FANTASTIC bathrooms / heads (which is dissapointing in the guest cabins on the lagoon) ..... First time I saw it ....... No denying, Its a good one to look into at great value
Old 13-10-2010, 06:34   #52

Yes, Matrix Yachts' products are really astonishing, especially the S760.
Old 24-10-2010, 11:34   #53

Today, I finally had the chance to step on board 620. Well, all I can say is "wow". If anyone is sceptical about the build quality and finishing, this sure is a great piece. This sure is a floating paradise...
Old 25-10-2010, 12:38   #54

...... Sounds AWESOME !!!!
Old 25-10-2010, 14:39   #55

Bill obrien 12 meter catamaran custom

Hi there people, not sure if I'm doing this right. But I have a 12 meter bill obrien custom catamaran which was named Prince of Tides. I have no other history on her but would love some kind of help to find out more???.?
I have owned a bobcat 8 m before so have some idea about them, but please anyone know about my custom 12 meter???
truelinesailing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-2010, 14:53   #56

Boat: Lagoon 380, 38', I Dream of Jeanne
Looking forward to reviewing the Lagoon 620 and other new Lagoons this Friday at the Ft. Lauderdale boat show, but regarding this Thread request for comments regarding the Lagoon 620, I can think of one: "Isn't poverty terrible!"
timbenner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-10-2010, 16:27   #57

Quote:
Originally Posted by timbenner View Post
Looking forward to reviewing the Lagoon 620 and other new Lagoons this Friday at the Ft. Lauderdale boat show, but regarding this Thread request for comments regarding the Lagoon 620, I can think of one: "Isn't poverty terrible!"
Amen to that!!!
Old 04-11-2010, 04:37   #58
asb

Quote:
Originally Posted by MehmetCan View Post
Today, I finally had the chance to step on board 620. Well, all I can say is "wow". If anyone is sceptical about the build quality and finishing, this sure is a great piece. This sure is a floating paradise...
I have also visited the same L620. As you have said she is huge and very nice.

But the sailing qualities are not very good. I have talked to one crewmember who brought the cat. (there are 3) He told me under 20 knots of wind, sailing is not very enjoyable. So they used the engines almost always from Gocek to Istanbul.

She is good for coastal motoring and enjoying yourself when anchored. As an alternative take a look at the FP Galathea 65.

If you look for something smaller L400, FP Orana44 or L500 are also very good with much better sailing abilities.

Good luck.

Sinan
asb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2010, 10:33   #59
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Orana 2010, Hélia 2013, Catana C 47 2013, Nautitech 46 Fly 2018
Hi Sinan,

I think you refer to the 620 that was in İstanbul Pendik boat show. Suffice to look at the boat carefully to judge that she was not built to sail..To the expense of the flying bridge (that many people admire..) the mast and the boom have got to be very high. As a matter of fact the sails are extremely difficult to handle + they are very small in size. Add to this extremely heavy and bulky hulls, the end result is "a lot of motoring.."

We should admit however that from marketing stand point, it's a big success. They are opting for people who wants to move from motor yatchs to sailing boats w/out sacrifying the no heel cruising, the luxury and the space..

I agree 100% that Galathea 65 at a comparable price (the L 620 in the show was for 1.400.000 € with all extras) is a way better SAILING boat.
Yet 3-4 years after the launch, they are only at hull number 4 or 5.. I am pretty sure that the L620 will beat this number in a matter of months.

The fact is; the people who takes as a first attribute the sailing properties of a cat don't have enough money, and / or vicea versa, the people who can afford such staff doesn't give a s..t on the sailing properties of the boat..
Another example to support this theory; I've been on a "swiss catamaran" from a well known french architect, made in Turkey, on his way back from Cannes boat show to Antalya in Marmaris. 55 ft, epoxy hulls with carbon mast and boom, furling spinneaker, all kind of accesories you can imagine (deep freezer, gen set, A/C, teak everywhere) etc.. for 1.2 mio euro. She's 12 tons and makes +20 knots @ 25 knts of true.. But, the space you have is about the half you get in L 620 even though she sails 3 times faster. Big mistake.. and they couldn't sell it for more than a year..
(for those who are interested google "swiss catamaran")

Cheers

Yeloya
yeloya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2010, 00:50   #60
asb

Hi Yeloya,

You are right, L620 is a pleasure plarform. We can name her a boat with sails, you rarely use, not a sailboat.

On the other hand it is very good for showing off, entertaining guests, throwing parties etc. If you want a sailboat, look somewhere else.

But the new strategy of Lagoon is paying off, especially here. I have heard that they have already sold 4 pieces in Turkey. (that was before the Boat Show)

I found a short video of FP Galathea 65. I haven't seen her but looks nice from video.

asb is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
circumnavigation, cruiser, lagoon