Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Manufacturers Forums > Lagoon Catamarans
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-02-2015, 00:42   #121

Boat: NEEL 45 #1
Re: Lagoon 620 as a Bluewater Cruiser for Circumnavigation ?

@ sirkus what rules are you talking about?
beauris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2015, 04:12   #122
smj

Boat: TRT 1200

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomicante View Post
The original design was developed by the chief designer or Dean Cats, who became the chief designer of Xquisite Yachts.

The X5 SAIL is a highly improved new yacht, which was redesigned by the original designer using the input of two owners of the original Dean yachts, who sailed 24,000 and 14,000 nautical miles on the Dean 5000 boats.

All this cruising liveaboard experience led to the decision that Xquisite Yachts built a completely new set of moulds with redesigned hull shape and new layouts to build the new X5 SAIL and POWER in infusion.

The production is led by the former general manager of Robertson & Caine, while the designer is the former deisgner from Dean Cats.

I hope this helps!

So the boat at the Miami show is not even an example of Xquisite Yachts as it seems they redesigned the entire boat? I'm not saying they're bad boats just saying no one can know as they haven't built any yet.
smj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2015, 05:32   #123

Boat: Manta 40 "Reach"

Quote:
Originally Posted by downunder View Post
So, who was the chief designer for Dean cats??

Angelo Lavannas???
I'm pretty sure it was Peter Dean himself who designed Dean boats. He most likely had engineers helping him.

Mark

You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.
colemj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2015, 06:38   #124

Boat: Dean 5000 sailing catamaran

Dean Catamarans design team was Peter Dean and Rudolf Jonker. Both of them are now employed by the new company, Xquisite Yachts. The production is managed by Colin Etheridge, the former GM of Robertson & Caine.
Besides the the experience and knowledge of these catamaran builders, the new factory is equipped with the latest technology in boat building, such as CAD/CNC and vacuum infusion.
The CEO of Xquisite Yachst owns the last Dean 5000, and after sailing her extensively (over 24,000 nautical miles), the team decided to build a completely new set of moulds with highly improved hull shape, and the new X5 SAIL was born.
The first hull will be on display at the Miami Boat Show next February.
tomicante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-07-2016, 01:32   #125

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomicante View Post
The next model will be the X5 POWER in 2016, and later in the future the X6 (62'), but that won't happen until 2018.
Are you part of the company ?
obelix67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-07-2016, 01:53   #126

A couple of little bits to get away from the other brands on this thread.

I read the blog parts of Makena a 620 that did the World Arc, during the leg from the galapagos they were 150nm ahead of the fleet when their spinnaker halyard broke

I also saw the blog of Feel So Good, the were averaging 198 nm per day on the sail across the pacific from the galapagos, they were using standard sails, but using the classic mainsail which is smaller than the squaretop mainsail

Makena was also able to make good speed away from a storm as they were heading to fiji.

I was in Bordeaux and the 620 isn't being discontinued at least it was not when I was there last year, but they are making changes to it, it is still listed on their website.

As Impi said earlier, resell can be a pita, and you need more than 2 crew, if I remember right Makena had more than 10 on board, 1 under 2 yrs and one over 80.

Maintenance and parking could be a serious issue with this beast.

Remember to get stern capstans if crewing with a low amount of people.

Also jet thrusters do work on the 560, I am not sure if they would work as effectively on the 620.
Old 19-07-2016, 02:56   #127

Almost forgot when I asked Makena about what they didnt like - it was that with the model of washer on board, you had to run the gen, it wouldnt run off the batteries, I am not sure if a start right on the washer might have fixed that issue.
Old 19-07-2016, 05:56   #128

Boat: Dean 5000 sailing catamaran

Yes, I'm part of the company, Xquisite Yachts.
We will have a new X5 on display at the Cannes boat show in September and also at the Annapolis boat show in October. You're most welcome to see our boats!
tomicante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-07-2016, 22:55   #129

Thumbs down Re: Lagoon 620 as a Bluewater Cruiser for Circumnavigation ?

So that is why there is all your market blurb on a lagoon thread ....
Old 19-07-2016, 23:11   #130

Just had a quick look, if you do not mind my feedback, it looks like it was taller and someone squashed it, to make it so curvy, like a sandwich that was too full. That was my first impression.

Not really to my taste at all, I was alive in the 70's, but thanks for sharing though and good luck. I am sure it will fit someone else's taste.
Old 16-10-2016, 18:07   #131

Hello,

I have been lurking and reading these forums since 2007, this is my first post. I am now in a position to look seriously at the purchase of al Lagoon - I prefer the 450 front seating layout and have budget enough to go up to a 62 however we are a crew of 2 so a 62 foot monster seems beautiful and daunting at the same time. We would like to cruise atlantic, Caribbean and Med. Ideally setup for longterm offshore runs without feeling too stretched too often.

On a side note - as someone only interested in Lagoons, I feel some amount of time of my life was wasted by two pages of other brand promotions in a lagoon thread - Rude IMHO so please take that other brand stuff someplace else...

I am particulalry interested in performance information including range information on the various Lagoon models - I realize there are several variables - I am interested in larger engines and larger fuel tanks in attempt to feel like we have a longer range in case of no/little wind.

Any feedback about Lagoon performance is greatly appreciated. Thank You.

Fair Winds and Happy sailing to all.
Codebridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-10-2016, 19:17   #132

Boat: SAnta Cruz 27

Ill give you the same advice that I gave to a CEO a few years back. Your ego may want a 62, but if you want to sail with just your partner, you both will be much happier with a 45.

Needless to say, his ego won and he has been dealing with outside crew ever since.
donradcliffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-10-2016, 19:58   #133

Quote:
Originally Posted by donradcliffe View Post
Ill give you the same advice that I gave to a CEO a few years back. Your ego may want a 62, but if you want to sail with just your partner, you both will be much happier with a 45.

Needless to say, his ego won and he has been dealing with outside crew ever since.
Thank You. My interest in the 62 is more about range and speed but the downside of crew seems like risking a a sincere hassle. Obviously we think that having something we can singlehand if necessary is of a higher priority than "more space or more range."

Kindest Regards,

Codebridge
Old 17-10-2016, 04:05   #134

Boat: 440 Lagoon

We are in the 440, the 450 feels much larger and I think you would be better suited and much happier with a 450 than a 62. That's a lot of boat. Between anchoring and the occasional Marina visits you are limited with that size.
The range we have on the 440 seems to be plenty, over 500 miles and up to 700 if you keep your speeds down to a nice cruise.
We run the 54hp and I like the set up. Props is where you make your money. We can motor at an average of 8 with 2700 rpm, 7 at 2400. Don't think we would consider carrying more fuel. We are focusing on water and power.
My recommended list would be look at lithium, solar, more solar and sails. The right sail plan will make you happier than being able to motor through an occasional dull drum. Dull drums are good Maint and swim days. Sailing is being at the mercy of the wind, plan your trips based on weather and you will be fine. JMO
SV BlackSheep
440 Lagoon
VERTIGO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-10-2016, 08:34   #135

Thank You very Much, Vertigo.

After a lot of reviewing things, visiting various boats and doing all manner of calculations and planning - a well equipped 45 seems like the way to go. I do like seeing 220nm days posted out of some of the 62's though that just seems great.

I have estimated that whatever we end up with we will just find a way to make it work - seems like the jump to a 52 or 56 would not be that large of a jump as far as physical ability or repair costs / maintenance. My focus is on long passagemaking - more provisions, more water, more power, more spares, fuel seems like such a saftey item (- maybe less is more) etc...

I agree the right sail plan is crucial. When I think of taking more supplies my inclination is that a larger model can simply carry more. I think I will be fine either way but that is why I asked. Some variables are hard to quantify.

Thank You again.

Tags
circumnavigation, cruiser, lagoon