Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Manufacturers Forums > Lagoon Catamarans
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-05-2021, 12:53   #136

Re: Lagoon Escape Hatches Falling Out

So yes.......i also have had no response or help from GOIOT or LAGOON.....the authorized repair for Lagoon in ft. lauderdale did send me the brackets to drill into the hull.......drill holes in the boat ! ......BUT nothing from manufactures about this problem......I have a Lagoon 450 and mine are leaking as well......do they just fail and fall out next........i am stuck in the Bahamas as afraid to go forward especially in deep blue...........has anyone heard of any company that LAGOON OR GOIOT have contracted with to fiix problem......anyone heard of any shared cost of this problem............
rxnopain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2021, 14:17   #137

Boat: LAGOON 400

Quote:
Originally Posted by rxnopain View Post
So yes.......i also have had no response or help from GOIOT or LAGOON.....the authorized repair for Lagoon in ft. lauderdale did send me the brackets to drill into the hull.......drill holes in the boat ! ......BUT nothing from manufactures about this problem......I have a Lagoon 450 and mine are leaking as well......do they just fail and fall out next........i am stuck in the Bahamas as afraid to go forward especially in deep blue...........has anyone heard of any company that LAGOON OR GOIOT have contracted with to fiix problem......anyone heard of any shared cost of this problem............
suggest to forget about recalls, etc and move on with your life else you will waste nice part of your sailing life and nerves on this.

i installed brackets - ensure they swim in sikaflex - and will at next haulout circle whole window with black sikaflex so it covers join acryclic window - aluminium. that should stop any water jets to compromise seal and add tons of support. Will inspect yearly.
arsenelupiga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2021, 14:45   #138

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33

Just glass the damn holes in and eliminate these saftey hazards from your boat!
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2021, 16:43   #139

Boat: ‘01 Catana 401

Quote:
Originally Posted by belizesailor View Post
Just glass the damn holes in and eliminate these saftey hazards from your boat!

Along this line of thinking.....if it’s egress you’re worried about, glass in the hole and hang a hand drill and a pruning saw next to it. I can promise a quick exit if you need it.
Sailmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2021, 18:18   #140

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailmonkey View Post
Along this line of thinking.....if it’s egress you’re worried about, glass in the hole and hang a hand drill and a pruning saw next to it. I can promise a quick exit if you need it.
Yep, bound to be a better solution than just a recreation deck hatch...like a proper metal hatch that can be dogged down.

Personally, there are so many ways in/out of most cats it doesnt worry me (my boat fortunately does not have these damn things).

Its mostly a French thing.
Old 08-05-2021, 01:09   #141

Boat: Outremer 55L

I had a very good response from Outremer when I contacted them via email to ask if our escape hatches were part of the recall. Grand Large Services were very quick to get back to me to explain that the hatches in our boat prior to the problem time and not affected by the recall.

They did offer a replacement set of lenses (the glass and frame that it sits in) with a new design that provides mechanical support to the lenses and not just sealant.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1620460542.282176.jpg
Views:	137
Size:	273.3 KB
ID:	237932

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3212.jpg
Views:	122
Size:	251.8 KB
ID:	237933

Copied below is the reply I got back from Outremer:

“Thanks for your message and sorry for this late answer.
We have lot of demands on this topic and I understand your concerns.
Actually, you are not affected by the recall campaign, the ones involved are those made between 2014 & 2018.
No Outremer boat is concerned as during this period, we have installed
only 44C Goïot escape hatch (round model)

In your case, Goïot propose a special price if you want upgrade the hatches for the new model of 49.42 square escape hatch but no warranty.
The price is 270.00€ for the lid only as the fixed base part is the same (shipping cost excluded), you have then to remove your handles and reinstall back on the new lid.
The new lid is equipped with a screw on the top between the frame and the glass (see picture) That means if the silicone degrades, the glass won't falls.”

Weird that Lagoon are not being helpful. Try Goiot directly?
fxykty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2021, 05:28   #142

Quote:
Originally Posted by fxykty View Post
I had a very good response from Outremer when I contacted them via email to ask if our escape hatches were part of the recall. Grand Large Services were very quick to get back to me to explain that the hatches in our boat prior to the problem time and not affected by the recall.

They did offer a replacement set of lenses (the glass and frame that it sits in) with a new design that provides mechanical support to the lenses and not just sealant.

Attachment 237932

Attachment 237933

Actually, you are not affected by the recall campaign, the ones involved are those made between 2014 & 2018.

In your case, Goïot propose a special price if you want upgrade the hatches for the new model of 49.42 square escape hatch but no warranty.
The price is 270.00€ for the lid only as the fixed base part is the same (shipping cost excluded), you have then to remove your handles and reinstall back on the new lid.
The new lid is equipped with a screw on the top between the frame and the glass (see picture) That means if the silicone degrades, the glass won't falls.”

That is a much better grade of hatch than what I have seen in Lagoons. Would be even better if that fragile bit of glass were replaced w aluminum plate.
Old 08-05-2021, 07:35   #143

Boat: Lagoon 450

Quote:
Originally Posted by arsenelupiga View Post
suggest to forget about recalls, etc and move on with your life else you will waste nice part of your sailing life and nerves on this.

i installed brackets - ensure they swim in sikaflex - and will at next haulout circle whole window with black sikaflex so it covers join acryclic window - aluminium. that should stop any water jets to compromise seal and add tons of support. Will inspect yearly.
This is my thinking as well, but not planning to use the brackets from Giot. Plan to get fabricated longer and wider brackets.
Fearnow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2022, 13:23   #144

Boat: Outremer 55L

Quote:

Attachment 237932

Attachment 237933

We had the new hatches in their packaging for over a year and a couple of offshore passages before finally installing them. We’ve had them in now for about 2000 miles of Australian east coast and Tasmanian cruising.

Removing the old hatch lids was a pain as the fittings were frozen and corroded - I ended up using a cutting disc to cut them out. After that installing the new lids was easy.

The lids match the old lids and the frame exactly. We have a little bit of water coming through the gasket - we’re assuming that the rubber is very stiff and it will soften up and conform to the frame better over time.

But yesterday in brisk conditions I was watching the boat through one of the hatches (it’s a mesmerising view watching the opposite hull and all the waves under the bridgedeck) and on a few high pressure wave swipes I felt a very fine spray! Note that I can’t even be sure where it’s coming from - that fine.

I think it’s coming from between the lens and the lid frame it’s mounted in. Is that likely? If so, I guess on our next haul out we’ll need to add more sealant. Otherwise, if it’s the gasket, what can we do to seal that better? We didn’t have any leaking at all with the old lids that we removed, sigh.
fxykty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2022, 15:35   #145

Quote:
We had the new hatches in their packaging for over a year and a couple of offshore passages before finally installing them. We’ve had them in now for about 2000 miles of Australian east coast and Tasmanian cruising.

Removing the old hatch lids was a pain as the fittings were frozen and corroded - I ended up using a cutting disc to cut them out. After that installing the new lids was easy.

The lids match the old lids and the frame exactly. We have a little bit of water coming through the gasket - we’re assuming that the rubber is very stiff and it will soften up and conform to the frame better over time.

But yesterday in brisk conditions I was watching the boat through one of the hatches (it’s a mesmerising view watching the opposite hull and all the waves under the bridgedeck) and on a few high pressure wave swipes I felt a very fine spray! Note that I can’t even be sure where it’s coming from - that fine.

I think it’s coming from between the lens and the lid frame it’s mounted in. Is that likely? If so, I guess on our next haul out we’ll need to add more sealant. Otherwise, if it’s the gasket, what can we do to seal that better? We didn’t have any leaking at all with the old lids that we removed, sigh.
Yes, it is mesmerizing to watch as long as the glass/hatch remain in tact...

Tags
escape hatches, hatch, lagoon